I'm gonna do it....but I have some questions

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m gonna do it....but I have some questions

A blue 94 with white stripes??? Did he have it repainted? I don't think that was a color option in 94. Anybody?

97 hood with a 94 fascia? The earlier fascias, pre 96, are more blunt than the later years.

The hood being raised a bit and the color combo would make me want to put it up on a lift and go over it very closely. I'm not saying it's been wrecked, but there may be some shotty workmanship.

Make the extra effort and go over it closely.

Marv S

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score

I would completely check out the history of that car before any $$ went out.
http://www.viperclub.org/misc/buyviper.html

Have the head gaskets ever leaked?

<FONT COLOR="#ff0000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Marv S on 08-17-2001 at 11:19 AM</font>

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Have a technician check the car! The person selling the car should respect this and you can even convey that the Viper is an unfamiliar car to you and lyou'd like to have some one knowledgeable (not that you're not capable) inspect the car.

The price sounds quite fair if the repairs that have been estimated are in fact the only issues. The paint does raise some questions though, as I don't recall blue with white stripes for any '94 RT/10.

You will love the car once you have peace of mind. My only regret is that I don't have two Vipers, but I'm not complaining -feel very fortunate to own one.

I live about 10 minutes from Pleasanton and go through Pleasanton on my way to and from work. I'd be happy to assist you if needed!

Matt

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would recommend you contact Ted May at Valaya Racing. He is the Stevens Creek Dodge Viper tech and I know he has checked out numerous cars for prospective owners. I'm not sure what he charges for the inspection, but it will be money well spent. Ted would be able to assist you in determining if the car had previously been wrecked.

Ted can be reached at:

Office: 408-448-8811
Cell Phone: 408-893-8811

Good luck with your purchase and be sure to join the NorCAl VCA when you pick up your Viper. (BTW, I'd love to see a Blue/White RT/10 in person)

Matt

Roland L-Ocala FL

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Agree with the above to get it totally checked out, history wise, and by a Viper tech too. Check the wheels for dings( curb hits) check the doors carefully for over extended hinge poping (can break the thermoset plastic door edges), look for holes or wear in the roof fabric), dings in the exhaust pipe and black sidepipe covers, tire tread wear, seat wear (especially drivers side) cracks in the hood near the black grille area on the passenger side (check this one very carefully, open the hood all the way, and look for a wear spot under the hood above where it mates up to the fresh air intake for the heater and A/C.) If there is a wear spot under the hood, (it's called yellow smile), then chances are that the hood has been stressed over that area, and cracks may develop on the top side. Check the side curtains for scratches, etc.
Also, check the Viper Club home page, there is a segment you can find there about "Buying a used Viper", and it gives you lots of information about what to look for too. I don't want to scare you, it's just that this is a pretty big investment, and you want to be sure you are going to get a car that is "right", I would also check the garage floor for fluid leaks at the front and rear of the car. Does the car have any warranty left? If it does, check about transferring it to you. If you have it checked out by a Viper tech, and follow the checklist on this board, you should have a great car, and it will provide you with a smile that just won't go away!
Learn how to drive the beast, getting some driving lessons right away is the best thing you can do, many first day owners of Vipers never get their car home, it can get away from you very fast, and all of a sudden, you are not on the pavement anymore!

Scott J

Enthusiast
Reaction score

There is a Viper technician in San Ramon at San Ramon Valley Import Center (925) 831-1266. If you ask for Jeff or Chris, they may be able to assist you with an inspection or you can simply call Dublin Dodge and they might be able to provide some assistance.