I'm "one of them." Sorta: a black wheel D-Bag. Yikes.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always disliked black wheels and the black wheel craze. A car with black wheels always made me think a old accountant from New Jersey who is retired in Florida now and wears black socks and dress shoes with his plaid Bermuda shorts. Ick.

But then I put OEM six-spokes on my 1998 GTS and want to sell my old 99-02 OEM wheels & tires and the silver paint I had on them needed some freshening. So I took the plunge. I had them powder coated black for marketing purposes. I figured if you can't love them - join them anyway. Everyone wants black, so black they are.

I picked them up after getting the tire remounted yesterday and I have to say it was kind fo embarassing. I felt like a traiter. Even if I was not wearing them, I now had black shoes and socks in my closet to go with my shorts. Next thing you know, I'll be getting a set of three-piecers with seven massive inches of **** lip.

What do you say? You love black wheels? Or hate them?

Last edited:

TAXIMAN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can't get into the black wheels, myself. And I am FROM NJ and now live in FL. Go figure. LOL

BlackSnake99

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so are you saying that those who like black wheels are 'd-bags'? This strikes me as another difference of opinion thread. Useless IMO.

I think they look killer in the right application.

BolsOut

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Cars with dark paint schemes or with lotsa black highlights go well with black rims. As with anything, people with lousy taste can make anything look crappy. I generally dig them tho, and was considering powdercoating the five-spokes on the Copperhead. We'll see...
;)
WoW, That white Vipe is BeeYoooTeefull!!!

Last edited:

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, my personal cars will never haveblack wheels, but I certainly don't hate them, and I love seeing them on other people's cars. It's a nice change of pace for sure...but there's a reason chrome/aluminum has been around forever.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Looks awesome on some color combos not on others.

I run a carbon face ( looks black ) and chrome lips on red cars and love the look.

1fast400

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was never a fan till I picked up my car at UGR and they were on it:

You must be registered for see images attach

They will be on car #2 from them next month as well:

I fell in love with it so much, my jeep:

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Key is to leave some color on the lip that leaves a visual outline of some type. Without that visual "break" IMO, the wheels (with black sidewalled tires) tend to look too small; they begin to visually disappear. Look at the photos of Plum and Wolf above :2tu:. That's my biggest aesthetic issue with the ACR sidewinders. They LOOK too small in the wheel wells. Of course, their LOOK is far secondary to their performance. But IMO, to retain or obtain the "big wheel look", you can't do it with completely blacked out wheels.

Just my .02.

big-n-italian

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont like the harshness of black, so i had my wheels powder coated dark charcoal metallic. still love em, look awesome in person, and i havent cleaned my wheels going on 3 years now. :D

(j/k of course)

07_Decatur.jpg

gb66gth

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everything in it's time and place...
I like an all black wheel for motorsports applications.
And a high polish shiney chrome finish for the street.

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well here's a picture of my car, you can see what I'm into. But, WHEN I when the Green ACR it will have black wheels.

Attachments

• Viper.JPG
    Viper.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Gotta have a splash of "color" with mine, new for the 2010 season complete with Ti hardware! hows that for bling? :eater:

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

i like them.

That's the good stuff right there!!!

Black spokes/center with a chrome barrel is a GREAT look. I personally don't like all black wheels...they can tend to look like you're riding around on 4 spares.

Simms

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a fan of both all black, black with polished lip, or all polished wheels. Just depends on the car and application.

tucker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have always liked black or some kind of charcoal.

OP
OP
PhoenixGTS

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For the record: by black wheels I meant solid black one-piece wheels, not three-piece wheels with polished rims and black centers.

7-LITRE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I fell in love with it so much, my jeep:

Lol, same here. though i sold the truck a few years back...

If i ever learn to manage my money better, i'll sell my chromed OEM's and go matte black/gloss black on the SRT.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456