I'm tooooooo slow. Vette's are coming up on me !! HELP !!

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I\'m tooooooo slow. Vette\'s are coming up on me !! HELP !!

Hey Guys,

I have been king at the local drag for a few months amonst a bunch of guys in two of the local car clubs. But a few guys are looking to change that. I want to see what SOLID mods I can put on the viper to gain SOME performance increase. PLEASE dont jump to ROE SuperCharger, unless your wanting to help with a few grand. I have already done complete exhaust, T&D's and mopar ECU. What is DYNO/TRack proven to TRULY increase power and ET's in addition to the pieces I already have on my car. Also, I am not interested in SPRAY or ET streets, I want REAL HP/TQ increases from the MOTOR, or Flywheel/Gears to help me get down the track quicker, if MOTOR isnt enough.

Throttle bodies, vec1 or vec2, 3.31 gear (3.45/3.55/3.75 is all too much gear in my opinion), intake extrude (not a good option, becasue thats money poorly spent since I will EVENTUALLY guy a roe SC).

Whats left for REAL POWER gain bolt on's ?? My sig tells you my current ET.

Thanks.

-Jon

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: I\'m tooooooo slow. Vette\'s are coming up on me !! HELP !!

Well you excluded about everything except heads,cam, stroker and a down hill track. All it would take is a f-body or Mustang with nitrous and your still beat. If you want to be king of the hill you need a power adder or major $$$ in a n/a motor.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score

If your Air/fuel ratio is off, the vec2 will help, maybe pick up another 20 RWHP or so, but no other options if you need more. Roe S/C or NOS, sorry.

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No I have not excluded vec 1 or 2, or a 3.31 gear, or throttle bodies. And whatever else is available as a bolt on. I just want it to be dyno proven, something that WORKS, not hype or speculation. A guy just blew $6300 on a heads and cam package for his 2002 z06, and it was WASTED $$, becasue his times were worse this sunday, BUT it was a bad day with humidity, and I KNOW he will go faster on a better/dryer day, but shoot 6k on a BAD day should LOOK better then non 6k on a good day !! (lets not go into that.. stick with MODS for faster times on the viper !!) thanks.

-Jon

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Does your description of complete exhaust include headers? There are a host of small changes:

Smooth tubes or cones
Underdrive pulley
Royal Purple motor oil(proven to add 5-7 hp)

On a NA car the combination of ET's and 3.33's or higher gears shouldn't be taken lightly, what has your best 60 been?

Cudaman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Can Tony let us know where some of those down hill 1/4 mile tracks are ? I have found too many in Florida ( we are too flat), they must be all in Georgia ( more hills) LOL...Tony you are a card :D .. May be at '*******' they are not flat
Cudaman

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

haha, I know one that runs up hill in Calhoun Ga.....there is even a 5 foot rise from the burn out pit to the lights.....the rest of the track isn't that bad but is does rise. I would say look for any track that heads south, it has gotta be going down hill :)

cudaman....if you run out of something to do, I have a boat in the water at Indian Rocks Beach that needs one of the engines pulled. My up coming project I guess. :(

Jon, All kidding aside. You need to reconsider the no e.t. street thing. There's you a half second in the 1/4 mile in your sixty foot. Add a 100 shot to that and your competition will think they are backing up. How about a dry shot nos for $650 ?

varanus

Enthusiast
Reaction score

You're probably out of luck. we'd all like to get that performance for cheap, but speed costs. The biggest bang for the buck will be nitrous, but since you ruled that out, I can't see anything to give you much more performance for the small dollar amount you want to spend.
If you do headers that's close to a couple of grand alone and won't add that much.
Personally i would do the nitrous as it will take the cost of getting the the roe sc come close to it. Even with the Roe Sc you'd be hard pressed to match a 200 shot, esp in the torque dept.

lleone

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hmm... for the sake of argument, let's say a Viper costs $65k and puts down 450hp. So for ~$7500 we can add something like the Roe SC and have a ~600hp Viper. The cost of the added hp is ~11.5% compared to cost of the original hp yet the added hp is ~33% of the original.
Original: $65,000 for 450hp = ~$144.44 per hp
Add on: $7,500 for 150hp = ~$50.00 per hp
Total: ~72,500 for 600hp = ~$120.83 per hp
The car actually is a better value with the add ons!
That seems like a deal to me.

Lou

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score

From what I've read here on this board, you need to take the MOPAR ECU off and replace it with the stock one.

Gerald

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jack,
To me compelete exhaust IS EVERYTHING including headers. So yes.
I have the tubes because I am ACR.
I dont like ET streets, becasue I wouldnt really RUN them on the street. I believe in bringing what you run on the street. I am NOT discounting the 3.31, I think THATS what I need. my best 60 foot is 1.872.

Gerald,
MY ET's and the dyno prove you differently on the mopar thing. dont jump on the ban wagon. I am proof it works.

Guys,
I am NOT afraid to spend money, I mean shoot, I already dumped 5k in it in 4 months of ownership AND I bought it NEW in Nov. So its not that... but com on.. 7500 all in one shot, uh, not after just buying the car and already dropping 5k+ into mods. ALSO I dont want to void my warranty. And all debating aside, the motor would be voided, and only a SUPER friendly viper tech that I know would actually help me out, but he is a few hours away.

SOOOO To me it leaves underdrive pulleys and 3.31 gears. Anything ELSE ??
Again, no ET streets, and no NOS.

-Jon

1TONY1

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Kumho autocross tires on the rear only. I have been running 4 on the street for 4000 miles now. It will help your sixty some. I have not tryed mine at the strip yet (why bother with et's sitting around) For every .10 of sixty foot gained you will gain .15 or more. And I just remembered they don't come in 18" yet, only 17". Vec1 is supposed to be worth 10hp and there are plenty for sell with the s/c guys getting vec2's. What track do you run at ?

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Tony,

Yeah, 2002 I have 18 inch rims. Guess im SOL for now. I race at Fayetteville in NC. its a good/respected 1/4 track around here. I need to go check out some others, but I liked Fayetteville becasue they were open during the winter !!

Hey where can I get those underdrive pulleys, and the 3.33 gear at the BEST price ?? Thx.

-Jon

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dude, face it, you just can't get there from where you are. Raise up for some NOS or stay slow. You will spend 3 times the amount necessary to run with a nitrous car on some other bolt on mods, and you may just loose your drivability in the process.

Tom

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LoL, ok Tom, I'll stop wasting eveyones time with wanting to go faster... apparently I have exhausted all my options, either I do Turbo, SuperC,or Liquid courage (AKA NOS).. or I pack up and go home.

I'm not trying to get in the 10's here tom, just low 11's on street tires, without spending $7+ grand, and not sprayin.

-Jon

Heading home now....

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon

IMO, I wouls spend a few hundred $$ get the tires and you are low 11's and it is proven. Isn't BFG or someone else coming out with a drag radial for 18's I think you are right about exhausting your options as far as bolt ons go.

You are not wasting anyone's time, I just think noone is able to produce a good answer that is pleasing to you(NO FLAME).

Gears will certainly help. 3.33's are like another 35-40 hp. Only proven by decrease in ET's.

Only other alternative is to reduce weight, but that gets really expensive. Let us know what you decide to do. I enjoy these topics, because I am still learning what works and what does not.

I am also looking at going faster, but I am going with some S/C setup.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just kidding around with you after seeing all the posts..

FYI, those Vettes and other cars surely had MAJOR mods (unless they were spraying) in order to gain your respect/fear of being beat.

Tom

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon you are lucky you dont live in the northeast where Vettes are running low 11s and high 10s all day long with just heads/cam setups :eek: Dont kid yourselfs guys they guys are for real. I know I am friends with them. They are putting down in excess of 460rwhp with 4.10 gears NO SPRAY :shocked:
That is why I'm doing some ported heads/cam and calling it a day :D

malcoll

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jon you are lucky you dont live in the northeast where Vettes are running low 11s and high 10s all day long with just heads/cam setups :eek: Dont kid yourselfs guys they guys are for real. I know I am friends with them. They are putting down in excess of 460rwhp with 4.10 gears NO SPRAY :shocked:
That is why I'm doing some ported heads/cam and calling it a day :D

I'm just talking off the top of my head... but won't doing Heads/Cam void the warranty on the engine? I can't imagine DC will honor a warranty on the engine once you've installed heads & cam.

Lance

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Hey Guys,

I think my EASIEST fix for going faster is the 3.33 gear. Because I AM going to be doing the Roe SC. AFTER my warranty is up. I figure doing MORE gear then that would be a WASTE combined with the ROE. So I dont want to do any steps backwards here. I just cant bring myself to screw myself outta that FREE warranty protection by putting on the ROE SC, until Dodge isnt backing me anymore.

Tom,
I was returning the joke, I know your gotta be tired of folks like me. I want to GO faster but I have all these silly rules as to how I want to do it. Thx.

-Jon

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well if you can't beat them join them and buy a Corvette!!!!!!!

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LOl, uh, I dont think so champ. If I wanted a Vette, to be like EVEYONE else, I could have bought one. ITs not just about power, its also about looks, and [******]... I look good in a viper.

Feel free to sell yours ... but I've never owned a vette and never want to (getto trash), I came From porsche land, and if I really cared THAT much about going fast, I would have kept my 500+ hp sub 3000lbs Porshce.

Oh and I WAS in the 10's with that car... all MOTOR...

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score

LOl, uh, I dont think so champ. If I wanted a Vette, to be like EVEYONE else, I could have bought one. ITs not just about power, its also about looks, and [******]... I look good in a viper.

Feel free to sell yours ... but I've never owned a vette and never want to (getto trash), I came From porsche land, and if I really cared THAT much about going fast, I would have kept my 500+ hp sub 3000lbs Porshce.

Oh and I WAS in the 10's with that car... all MOTOR...
So do you want a hand of aplause since you came from porche land :rolleyes: I came from a vette and to hear an idiot like you say it's getho trash ****** me off :mad: People like you with your stupid attitude give Viper owners a bad name. I know of getho trash Vettes thats cost more than your stupid porche or you current ACR is and would gladdly whip your butt :ooo:

ZX1100

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think it's tough to keep up with the Vettes when it comes to modding and prices. I thought it was expensive to mod my Vette but with my Viper it's even worse :(

Nitrous is the best bang for the buck and I'm really thinking about it for the Viper. My Vette already has a 150 shot and if I spend another $2K for heads/cam I should be able to run in the 10's with some sticky tires. I only spent $650 (group purchase) for my nitrous kit last year :)

How much for a nitrous kit for the Viper to get it into the 10's?

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Moundir,

Chill out. Someone tells me to sell my viper and get a vette, thats what Im going to tell them. Be pissed all you want, but maybe you should just chill out, and stop DEFENDING your vette. Power per dollar the vette wins, did I say otherwise ?? But its PRICE to entry is MUCH cheaper then a VIPER and every redneck that cant get a viper gets a vette around here. So chill out. Dang, YOU give us a bad name....

-Jon

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just sit back and laugh at these kinds of comments. Ghetto Trash?? What ever ...

J DAWG

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I just sit back and laugh at these kinds of comments. Ghetto Trash?? What ever ...

I have a Viper and have owned a C5. I would also own another Vette. I live in the South as well, so I certainly qualify as redneck, ghetto trash. :eek:

JRod

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I own a 2002 Z06. If I had wanted a Viper I would have bought one.

I am not going to knock a Viper. Or anyone who owns one, or their choice of buying one. You got what you wanted, and I got what I wanted...

One of my good friends, (John Myrick) owns a Lingenfelter C4, a 96 GTS w/ lots of goodies,a 2001 Z06, and a 03 Viper. Why don't you let him tell you all about the good and bad points of each vehicle.... I think a couple of the guys who have actually owned both vehicles might be a bit better at pointing out the pluses and minuses of each vehicle.

But I will say this. I do not consider the Corvette ghetto trash. As a Corvette owner I have to disagree with your statement. Anyhow, best of luck to you in your upgrades... My vote is a ton of dope and some ET Streets. Reason being is its an easy, and cheap, but huge jump in performance. As an example my 2002 Z06 is bone stock. On ET Streets I have run a 1.69 60' - 11.691 @ 117. Best 60' on the stock radials (leaving at 6500 and slipping hte clutch like a madman is low 1.7s). I can leave dumping the clutch a 6600 on the ET Streets in my car. If I sprayed the car it would most likely run about a 10.30 @ around 130-132.

Maybe you can run up next to my ghetto cruiser sometime and I'll race you for a bottle of Thunderbird... Provided I have enough money for gas(ya' know they won't let me buy gas with food stamps).

OP
OP
2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

2002_Viper_GTS_ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Actually guys,

Its my fault. I'm big enough to admit it. I could have edited what I said, but since I was SUCH an idiot for writting it I DESERVE the smack. I think I let the vettes get to me. They are great cars, and I think I showed my frustration with HOW good they are, show in a negative attack on them. My fault. I'm the redneck getto trash for what I wrote. My sincere apologies, I think im just too competitive sometimes, and this one time it got the best of me. My 3 hour drive home from the beach, I have been wanting to get home, JUST to remove my ignorant post, but as a reminder to myself of what an idiot I can be sometimes, I am going to leave it up so I DONT ever make that mistake again. Sorry.

-Jon

NOMERCY

Enthusiast
Reaction score

No sweat Jon. Thanks for clearing the air. If you ever get out here ... drinks are on me!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lennatave