In the market for a 97-98 GTS.......need advice

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well i had a lead on one in Charlotte and the guy backed out after giving him a deposit for the car. So, I am back in the market. I found a 98 GTS in FL for @$41k, lookms like a nice car and I have a friend going to test drive it tomorrow, is that about the right price for a silver 98 ith 23k miles?

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Eric, if the car is in great condition, that is not a bad price at all. If your friend is not a mechanic or mechanically inclined, make sure you have someone look the car over real well even if it requires you to take it to a dealership in Florida....Take your time and Good Luck!

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Have a mechanic check it over, run a CARFAX and call someone like Chuck Tator and have him run the maintenance history from DC records. If all that checks out and you like the car, the price could be OK. You aren't stealing it though. :usa:

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a good price. Just remember that Florida is very well known as being the state that is easiest to "wash" a salvage title in. And do not rely on carfax to catch it. Carfax ***** in most cases and is useless once the title is washed in Florida. Get the car inspected by a Viper tech or someone like Doub Levin. Or a least by some owners here, who I am sure will volunteer if you ask. The advice to have Chuck Tator run a history is also excellent.

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's your money, but I personally wouldn't buy a car from a dealer operating out of a dirt lot with a hand-painted sign...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4509876488&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT

And this car is still subject to recall:

VIN Number:
1B3ER69EXWV400626 Vehicle Description: DODGE VIPER GTS TWO-DR COUPE
Model Year: 1998

Recall and Customer Satisfaction Notification Information:
STEERING AND DIFFERENTIAL FRAME REPAIR SAFETY 05/16/2002

INCOMPLETE

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

OP
OP
E

Eric H

Viper Owner
Reaction score
does that mean it needs the recall? Dodge will still do the recall for free correct?

Anyone know someone in the Tampa are i Can call to check it out? I am anxious to go down and pick the car up but want to make sure i am getting a good car.

Was thinking about flying down on Tuesday to pick it up.

SylvanSRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
there is a '97 gts at a local used car dealer, showing 30k miles they are asking $43,000 for. dont know much more about it , driver seat showing a little wear car looks to be in ok condition.

Danny Ocean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
does that mean it needs the recall? Dodge will still do the recall for free correct?

I dunno...you gotta ask Dodge. When my Astro Van was recalled they gave me until a specific date to bring it in.

D. Ocean
Miami, FLA

redlightrich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
if it helps, about a month ago, i almost lost my mind and was selling my 97 gts with 4100 miles, no accidents or paint work, asking 43k and the closest i came was 39k. that is in nj, where weather is getting bad. the good news is it made me decide to keep it. and yes the recall stays with the car, regardless who owns it. btw, if you mean frame recall, its quite a project, and would leave it to a dealer who already did one. regards, rich.

BigCarrot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just wondering why everyone cares so much about the recalls having been done. It takes an hour or two! Fairly easy to take care of!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kodiakleather