Installed 6" replacement Subwoofer in RT/10

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed 6\" replacement Subwoofer in RT/10

To all RT/10 owners who hate the stock stereo:

I have followed the fellow VCA folk advice, and installed one of those 6" JL Audio subwoofers in the stock location in my 99 RT/10 with a poweramp under the driver's side seat.

Got the sub from http://www.wholesaleaudio.com/WholesaleAudio.html who no longer take credit cards... PayPal or check only.

Admitidly, it doesn't THUMP as much as my 8" in the footwell did, however my 'better half' was complaining about the lack of leg room on the long drives, so I had to do something about it.

This won't shatter the glass on your roadster, but it is one heck of an improvement over stock. Highly recommended!

For those of you who have done this... does your glove box door rattle with the deep bass turned up like mine does? I do have the much heavier MGW glove box door...

Rock on!

JD

SMCBUILDERSINC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Installed 6\" replacement Subwoofer in RT/10

Could you please provide me with the model numbers of the woofer and price you paid. Also, will this same woofer fit in my 99 RT? Can I do the install of the woofer myself, is it difficult? Does it really make a differance in sound quality b/c the stock woofer doesnt reproduce bass at all....

artman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
Got the sub from http://www.wholesaleaudio.com/WholesaleAudio.html who no longer take credit cards... PayPal or check only.
[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just curious how you ordered from or contacted this outfit. I tried emailing, calling them a while back and received no answers. At $52.85 each for those JL Audio subs, it is the best deal anywhere.........

V10 MOJO

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I disagree, if you seal it properly (I did a complete molded fiberglass enclosure sealed heavily with silicone) it will sound as good as an 8"

Martin D

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Joseph -

Man - you are keeping secrets from me! We just don't talk anymore.....
smile.gif

Can't wait to hear it. As soon as I am done with my move, we should get together.

Regards,

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I don't know how I was able to place an order... didn't do anything special. They are in PST, so I called after 12 noon on a monday and someone answered!

Martin - If you'd return my calls once in a while, we wouldn't have these issues!

smile.gif

Hope you are well!

JD

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

On the overall sound -

I had forgotten to torque down the bolts on the "box" for the sub. I did this tonight and all of a sudden the sound is pretty **** close to that of the 8" I had in the passenger foot well!

I highly recommend this mod.

Martin - You need to get at least one of these subs. I may even order another one for my Jeep too!

These subs rock!

JD

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The easiest thing to do is to remove the grill, and then remove the 4 screws holding in the speaker. that is it. The JL Audio 6" speaker fit right in using the same holes as the stock speaker.

I'll post a picture later this evening so you can see!

JD

shifter

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have had the same sub in mine for many months now and love the sound over stock. The glovebox door rattle took a while to solve. Slight bending of the latch and some foam around the door eventually solved it, and you can't even tell it's there even with the door open.

Now if only I can stop the grille from flying off from time to time, I'd be done...

PS wish I thought about mounting the amp under the seat. I put mine near the stock location and lost several layers of skin from my hands trying to feed the wires into the trunk.

jrod178

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Joseph Dell:
To all RT/10 owners who hate the stock stereo:

I have followed the fellow VCA folk advice, and installed one of those 6" JL Audio subwoofers in the stock location in my 99 RT/10 with a poweramp under the driver's side seat.

Admitidly, it doesn't THUMP as much as my 8" in the footwell did, however my 'better half' was complaining about the lack of leg room on the long drives, so I had to do something about it.

This won't shatter the glass on your roadster, but it is one heck of an improvement over stock. Highly recommended!

For those of you who have done this... does your glove box door rattle with the deep bass turned up like mine does? I do have the much heavier MGW glove box door...

Rock on!

JD

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you get the 4 or 8 ohm sub? TIA

jrod178

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks, Can you use the 8 with the stock amp? Whats the difference between the two? Sorry I know next to nothin about stereos except how to turn them on and off.

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I have an aftermarket amp, so I don't know what the stock one would do. I would bet you can. though.

I'll check the resistence of the old speaker and let you know.

jrod178

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks, whats the difference betweem the two?

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Factory grill fit right on. There is a stock bezel that goes over the speaker (has 4 holes for screws) and keeps the speaker in place. The bezel has the groove for the grill.

The install should take about 10 minutes if you keep the stock amp, and about 45 min - 1hr if you have to remove all the screws on the molding behind the seats if you need to move/ route wires around.

Enjoy!

JD

OP
OP
J

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Turns out that the stock speaker in the RT/10 (at least my 99) was a 4 ohm impedence. This means that one _could_ simply replace the speaker w/o replacing the amp.

Interesting, ey?

Has anyone done this? Simply replaced the speaker w/o replacing the amp?

JD

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235