INSTALLED K&N FILTERS W/SMOOTH TUBE

WANTED

Enthusiast
Reaction score
just installed the k&n filters w/smooth tube yesterday, took about 15mins. it was easy to do and highly reccomend this on all srt's. seems to have made a difference. sounds better with hearing it **** up that air. just looking at the stock compared to the k&n kit is night and day. :2tu:

THANKS K&N FOR A NICE SET UP :2tu: :2tu: :2tu:

TOM

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Check the archives as there were several topics on the K&N last summer.

ARMORGOD

Enthusiast
Reaction score
can someone post a pic of the k&n

Pics, as requested:
6147kn_1.jpg

6147kn_2.jpg

After you have the K&Ns in your car, stand in front of it with the engine running. It sounds like there is a vacuum cleaner under your hood - a very distinctive "sucking" noise now comes from the scoop at the front of the power bulge.

ViperInBlack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Installed my K&N today. Whoever designed that one hose clamp and the sensor must chuckle.

They give you three K&N stickers. I put one on my Howdy Doody lunch box.

It goes easiest with everything assembled and not tightened until the alignments are correct.

Alice

SRTJOE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anybody out there know if the K&N effects factory warranty?

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anybody out there know if the K&N effects factory warranty?

Interestingly enough, the filters have inspired some controvery in that respect. General Motors even put out a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) specifically suggesting that warranties could be denied based on having oiled (K&N) filters in place. It read, in part:

"DO NOT repair under warranty if concerns result from the use of a reusable aftermarket oiled air filter.

The installation of an aftermarket reusable, oiled air filter may result in:

1. Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On

2. Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)

3. Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range

The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.

When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with a OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.

Transmission or engine driveability concerns that are the result of the installation of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items."

I believe that Ford took a similar stance. Now, before you panic about this, realize a couple things: Dodge has had factory-installed oiled filters (K&N) on several of its Vipers, including the ACR and GT2. Hard to void a warranty when the manufacturer uses the same filters as a factory item. I believe that they are also available from Mopar, which is directly affiliated with Dodge. Nor have I ever heard of a Viper warranty being challenged in this regard. That is not to say that it can't or won't, but simply that it has not been that I am aware. And finally, I don't believe the Viper even has a Mass Air Flow sensor per se, but rather an air temp sensor and that's it. Of course I am not a technical guru so somebody else will have to correct me if I am wrong.

These articles may also be of interest:

http://www.knfilters.com/warrantyletter.htm

http://www.jackit.com/warranty.htm

Bottom line: I would install the K&N filters without hesitation. We are currently scrounging through the sofa cushions to buy yet another system from our friends at PartsRack.com. Worked wonders on my '03 and have great hopes for my '05 with the same system. 480 rwhp with filters alone? We shall see!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456