Installed Vmania top and windows - have a question

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I sold my Mopar top and Vmania windows and bought a Vmania top and windows from Partsrack. Biff at Vmania and Jon at Partsrack made this very easy. I installed the top and windows, and they are beautiful! I got the roof duct on mine, and I think it looks great. After installing them, I took it for a ride, and the top is squeeking like crazy! I finally figured out that it is the sportcap pad that is squeeking. On the Mopar top, you take the sportcap pad off. You leave it on for the Vmania top. Anyway, I tried tightening the sport cap pad, and the cap pad is damaged around the bolt holes, and will not tighten down sufficiently.
Any suggestions? Anyone have a used pad to sell? Has anyone ever had this problem or similar problem?
Thanks!

MarineGuns

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the same problem with some of the sport cap holes being damaged from years of swapping out the Mopar top.

I just found some washer that would bridge the damaged gap and used them. Works reasonably well but if you can find a new cap I'd go with that.

Howard

flossm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
XS torq Are the bolts stripped, or the nut plates, or is this a sportcap issue. I have had experience with all three. maybe I can help with more info or a pic.... :) You can also pm me if you like..Ron

OP
OP
X

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
MarineGuns and flossm - thanks for your replies.
The bolts aren't stripped - it is the sportcap itself that is damaged. It seems that the area around where the bolts go through the sportcap are messed up. I believe that washers could help. I will give that a try.
Is there anything else that holds the sportcap on besides the 2 bolts? Any tabs, pins, etc that keep the ends (closest to the doors) from flexing up and down?
New sportcaps are EXPENSIVE!!! Like REAL expensive. I am going to do what I can to prevent buying one (especially since I don't plan on having the top on much).

flossm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Total of 4 bolts hold the sportcap on. See if your local upholstry (auto) can repair the one you have....Also on the bolt plates V-mania sends, slot the holes and the brackets work MUCH better. Approximately 1 hole width more twards the front of the car..

Roadkill

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I sold my Mopar top and Vmania windows and bought a Vmania top and windows from Partsrack.

I was just curious as to the windows? you sold vmania windows and then what did you replace them with?? Is there a newer and a older version of vmania windows out or did i miss something here? Best of luck with the sportcap thing.. what about using some sort of compressible foam weatherstripping between the sportcap and the body? would that resolve the squeaking?

OP
OP
X

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On the VMania windows (old vs new) - the "new" windows are shaped a little different to fit more tightly with the Vmania top versus the Mopar hardtop. My car is at the dealership getting a leak fixed (rear main seal) under warranty. Gotta love a car bought in Nov 93 still under warranty. They are also changing clutch and (light) flywheel w/ my parts while they have it apart. I should have it back within the week and I will post pictures at that time. I will also try a number of the suggestions here to try to fix the squeak.
Thanks to all for replies, and watch this thread in the next week or so!

OP
OP
X

XS TORQ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks to all of you - I made sure I have the correct number of bolts installed (4) for the sport cap pad, the pins for the soft top are now installed in the correct spot, and I put larger washers on the hole that was messed up. I have not tried the top out again - before I do, I'm going to slot the brackets. Weather is too nice for a top now anyway.
Here's a picture of the top on. I have about 6 pictures in the gallery on this site if you want to see them.
241119-1998_IMG.JPG

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmagnuss