installing headers , should i use the heat shields

mrbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
should i install the heat shields or not , i removed the converters and have 3" side exhaust . or should i make a shield for the heater box and not install the shields. thanks to all

fqberful

Enthusiast
Reaction score
should i install the heat shields or not , i removed the converters and have 3" side exhaust . or should i make a shield for the heater box and not install the shields. thanks to all

My opinion always has been, install the heat shields even if the headers are coated. I can do nothing but help keep from melting stuff.

--FQB

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are going to get a lot of mixed reviews. I have run my car on the track in temps over 100 degrees with no heat shields and nothing melted.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are going to get a lot of mixed reviews. I have run my car on the track in temps over 100 degrees with no heat shields and nothing melted.

How's that work for you sitting at a traffic light idling for 5 minutes every 1/4 mile under those same conditions? I mean the same ambient temp condition, not the fact that stuck in traffic you have zero air flow. That part is different.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
How's that work for you sitting at a traffic light idling for 5 minutes every 1/4 mile under those same conditions? I mean the same ambient temp condition, not the fact that stuck in traffic you have zero air flow. That part is different.

Has worked fine for at least a year and a half. I have monitored my plastic parts under the hood checking for wear or melting, nothing yet. Now I do have to change my brake fluid more often though.

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has worked fine for at least a year and a half. I have monitored my plastic parts under the hood checking for wear or melting, nothing yet. Now I do have to change my brake fluid more often though.

What kind of Headers do you have?

costanZo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running the heat shields on coated Belanger headers. I'd use them. ;)

I was told with Belangers you don't need heat shields..

Does anyone know much about the American Racing Headers? I know their Stainless Steel so they can run a lot hotter which can affect the longevity of other engine components eventually, but if you had them Ceramic coated, HPC coated, or even JetHot coated(I believe Badboyzz Garage does this) do you think that would make them run as cool as the Belangers?

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've had Belanger's since 2006. Originally with heat shields on, then off, then on, then off. I've left them off for the last 2 years. No issues with melting parts. If I lived in Texas and was facing 100 degree weather, stop and go traffic I'd probably reconsider. To each his/her own.

Nothing wrong with playing it safe and using shields just be careful when fitting the GenII OEM heat shields over the Belangers. Try not to scratch or gouge the primaries with the shields, it'll cause the jet hot to flake off and fail prematurely. Also keep an eye on the Jet-Hot coating....if a sufficient air gap does not exist between the primaries and the OEM heat shields you'll see your coating become fuzzy and disintegrate over time.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like you have the choice of constantly wondering and checking, or running heat shields. And like me, never looking for melted stuff.

Dave, Belangers and heat shields.

mbccenter

Legacy Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I run a 1000rwhp supercharged srt with no heat shields. I am running our M&M Performance headers that are ceramic coated. It will not hurt to run them and can only help but I have put many miles on a few cars with no issues. If you are running stainless that are not coated I would run them.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thoughts are as follows:

Heat shield keep the heat away from plastic. A material used in abundance under Viper hoods. Two things make plastic brittle quickly: Heat cycles and heat saturation.

With the heat shields off, that allows the plastic to heat soak. Then the plastic cools. Do that several hundred times as you drive the car. This will make the plastic brittle from expansion cycles.

Part two is heat period. Heat dries out plastic. Think dash boards in the southwest. By keeping the shields on, you allow less heat to soak into the plastic components, thus giving a longer life to your underhood components.

I would do anything I can to keep heat away from the underhood plastic as much as possible. You will appreciate it down the road when you go to remove a part, and the tab does not break when you "pop" it off with a screw driver.

My 2 cents.

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Part two is heat period. Heat dries out plastic. Think dash boards in the southwest. By keeping the shields on, you allow less heat to soak into the plastic components, thus giving a longer life to your underhood components.

Heat does not dry out plastic. The environment consisting of heat, UV, ozone and so on break down and disrupt/modify the polymer chains on a molecular basis causing the plastic to loose it's original physical properties. The good news is that underhood non-metallics are made from polymers that are either minimally affected by the previous list I just gave, or if they are, the change to them is not a significant as say your dash is.

Dave, 30 years now in chemical engineering. I got the science of plastics... :smirk:

Back to heat shields, I built my own out of mirror polish stainless. I supplied a CAD drwaing of them to another member here that reproduced a set for his car in aluminum. Easy to fabricate if you are a fabricator.

You must be registered for see images

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running M&M's on mine with no heat shields. Matt told me about his experience, so I wasn't that worried about them. Plus the headers look nice and I didn't want to cover them up! :)

I am running AB's wires with the additional heat socks though, so that played into my decision as well. I also took the stock heat shields and cut them into smaller pieces to cover some specific small areas/hoses/etc just in case.

Mopar Boy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Heat does not dry out plastic. The environment consisting of heat, UV, ozone and so on break down and disrupt/modify the polymer chains on a molecular basis causing the plastic to loose it's original physical properties. The good news is that underhood non-metallics are made from polymers that are either minimally affected by the previous list I just gave, or if they are, the change to them is not a significant as say your dash is.

]

Thanks for the education Dave!

I guess I stand corrected!

dave6666

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the education Dave!

I guess I stand corrected!

LOL, it's pretty common what you said. I mean, the plastic was all shiny soft and supple. Now it's all dull and hard. Like it dried out! Being in the industry makes it tough to just stand down when the lingo wanders.

Back to heat shields...