Insurance?

pitdad

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm a 50+year-old married driver with a clean record and no accidents shopping insurance rates and experienced the following:

A Liberty Mutual agent told me the Viper is now classified as a "race car" and agents are excluded from selling new policies.

A Geico agent told me my 2011 Jeep Wrangler is not insurable because it has a winch and occasionally goes off road.

I didn't realize I was living so dangerously!

Anyone else experiencing this?

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have:

Porsche 911
99 Viper GTS
57 Porsche 356
06 SRT Ram Viper truck

All insured with Grundy. I'm 55 and I pay about 1400 per year all with AGREED VALUE POLICY. And unlimited mileage. There is a big difference in insurance policies. normal car insurance will pay you very little in the event of a loss and at the same time cost you significantly more money. This is NOT the right policy for a collector car. Next is "declared value" policy. This will not pay you what your declared amount policy reads in the amount of a loss. (Don't believe me? Check. Don't ask your agent most don't understand the declared V/S agreed value difference ) Finally is the Agreed value policy. This pays the exact amount in the event of a loss.

ViperCeeJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is very good information, thank you. My 18 year old son has a '67 Pontiac and a '84 cammed out custom truck. You can imagine, our insurance is pretty high being he's only 18. I will have to look into this.

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am amazed at how many people are willing to pay so much more for so much lass coverage. Traditional car insurance for a collector car is just foolish.

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am amazed at how many people are willing to pay so much more for so much lass coverage. Traditional car insurance for a collector car is just foolish.

For the regular owner, I'd agree, but what about those who daily drive theirs? Viper that is, not another car.

TalonTSi90

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No they don't. We have everything insured through USAA, home and vehicles except our ATV which is insure through Progressive.

Ive got my bike through Geico currently, Progressive wanted more than triple what im paying through them and my Insurance "credit score" is impeccable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets