investments

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are you guys investing your money these days? Rates are so low that it seems impossible to find an investment with a good return!
Any hot tips?!

JAY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gold may be a good option , seeing as Money Printing (Currency Debasing ) is at an All time High .....lol ! :omg:

VIPRRR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am not a certified financial planner.
But I do very well on investing on my own.
I am not sure if Americans can invest in Canadian stocks.
Send me a private message, no guarantees, but you can decide for yourself
if what I invest in would be a good fit for you.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been getting calls and e-mails from on outfit promoting colored diamonds. Does anyone have knowledge on this type of investment?

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Colored diamonds................that sounds like 'magic beans'. I think that colored diamonds are for people that are dumb. Aren't they just poor quality, low clarity diamonds that are too good to use as industrial diamonds (for tools), but not good enough to use in jewlery? .........So they fix it with good marketing. Do some kind of coloring treatment to mask the ugly flaws and poor clarity, then give them **** 'I want that' names......chocolate diamonds....champagne diamonds...............totally stupid. They just figured out a way to sell the stuff that they were scrapping. I suppose it's a good use of resources and a smart business idea. It's just funny that people will pay a premium for 'champagne diamonds' and not 'cloudy yellow diamonds' when they are the same thing. The chocolate ones are the diamonds that are really jacked up so they gotta paint them brown to hide the ugly. -but everybody loves chocolate, so let's call it that.:lmao: ........I guess I'm just sad that I didn't think of it first. ...I'm gonna go dig up a shovel full of dirt, and see if I can come up with a clever way to market it. then I can get a gen V.

HSSSSSS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure if any of you heard about the Emerald scam that happened in Kelowna recently? Same as a colored diamond I believe! Here is a link

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ld-at-kelowna-auction-after-co-owner-arrested

Thanks knuk.
A couple of questions come to mind though. Why, if this stone is possibly worth $1 million, did the auction house not get an independant appraisal done? Since the owner was arrested on unrelated charges how do we know it was a scam?

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There was quite a lot of coverage in Kelowna on this story. There were several gemologists, North America wide, who were contacted by our local media & all of them said they doubted the value was anywhere near one million. Most thought it was basically a stone that had simply been colored.
I'm just going on what I heard through the media...
It was previously listed on ebay for $10,000...a far cry from a million

http://michaeltishjewelers.tumblr.c...d-teodora-fails-at-auction-owner-charged-with

Last edited:

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can buy cultured diamonds that are colored. Look up Gemesis. I would say these lab made diamonds probably hinder the price slightly of real colored diamonds. Either way, I'm not sure how you would go about making a good investment with diamonds or other gem stones?

I just had to re-invest the pension I earned at my last job when I quit. I put all of that into a 5% guaranteed return Mutual Fund. Those are hard to come by nowadays. Money has been tight for other investments as of late. I had money into Apple stocks, which I would've done really good on, but necessity forced me to sell them before I wanted to. Sure enough the Iphone 5 came out and the stock was up almost 100% from where I bought it.

Now I am avoiding stocks like that where I have to watch them everyday. I stick strictly to high dividend solid stuff now. Boston Pizza has actually been a really good one. They aren't going anywhere, and they are pretty much recession proof. Another one is Superior Propane. Now that this thread reminds me, I am starting a running list in my phone of any business I use that seems like a solid company, then I can check their stats later to see if they pay dividends and how much they are. Things like Starbucks and Tim Horton's, which I know will be around for likely my lifetime and always bring in good profits.

If I had a lot of cash burning a hole in my pocket, I would probably look for some property in Honduras near where a cruise ship port might be going in. That could end up being a big payoff, or I could end up using it myself to just open a dive shop once the tourist economy gets booming a bit.

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
...Now I am avoiding stocks like that where I have to watch them everyday.

Where I live there is an energy company called First Energy. It seems to be a reliable long term stock option for those who don't want to constantly watch things. Energy is a good choice by natural progression since it seems to only yield half the hit that others take when times get hard. In the midst of a recession you might make those Nike shoes last a little longer... but commercial and residential alike will always find a way to pay their electric bill. So now 15 years with it and it always weathers the storm and rebounds fine.
Mike

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where I live there is an energy company called First Energy. It seems to be a reliable long term stock option for those who don't want to constantly watch things. Energy is a good choice by natural progression since it seems to only yield half the hit that others take when times get hard. In the midst of a recession you might make those Nike shoes last a little longer... but commercial and residential alike will always find a way to pay their electric bill. So now 15 years with it and it always weathers the storm and rebounds fine.
Mike

Does it pay any dividends??

tbsviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
investment

Preferred stock, stability with dividends not for growth. Check out exchange traded fund symbol PFF or PFXF. The first includes financial preferred securities the latter excludes financials. You can buy the ETF direct or check their holdings for investment ideas.

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that you should wait a bit. The DOW is down about 484 points since the election. Europe is a mess. Our taxes going forward are up in the air. There are signs of a possible new recession soon. Cash is king right now. Buying gems is a fools game. There far too much room for fraud and other shenanigans. Can you look at a stone and determine whether it is worth what you paid? Will the stone be liquid? Yes but at a much lower price than you pay for it. A good rule to follow is to only invest in what you know and understand. A second rule is that if it is too good to be true, it is a scam.

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree!
Ladies and gents, what do you feel about starting an investment club with some fellow members from our region? Maybe all invest 10k each or??? And see what sort of return we can get?
Of course we may have to meet a couple of times a year... In the vipers!

chorps

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would be kind of neat to do a friendly investment competition with the other regions. 5k or 10k each would be interesting...the only issue is that the trust factor for giving someone [random interweb stranger hehe] the $$$ to invest would be pretty high.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here is a no brainer, buy a new rental unit for say around 100k (new) borrow the money for 3%, rent it out at a attractive price at let say 895.00 month. (rent to only good credit, it takes time to find them) stay away from from animals and kids..lol== do the math

OP
OP
K

knuk

Enthusiast
Reaction score
here is a no brainer, buy a new rental unit for say around 100k (new) borrow the money for 3%, rent it out at a attractive price at let say 895.00 month. (rent to only good credit, it takes time to find them) stay away from from animals and kids..lol== do the math

Good idea but where can you buy a new rental unit for 100k??!!

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
missouri ( you have to hunt and deal, but they are out there= here if you want to pay the piper, they are everywhere for 125

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Acquisition costs - inspection, loan fees, attorney's fees, possible repairs to make the property rentable.
Carrying costs - real estate taxes, interest, insurance, upkeep and repair, condo or town house association fees and capital improvement calls.
Value of time finding tenant, bookkeeping, collecting rent, chasing rent of they get behind, replacing tenant, answering calls for plumbing, etc. issues if tenant not responsible for same or if tenant neglect to do same.
Change in community circumstances causing drop in available tenants or increase in available rental units that may be more desireable.

The above are not all inclusive.

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Acquisition costs - inspection, loan fees, attorney's fees, possible repairs to make the property rentable.
Carrying costs - real estate taxes, interest, insurance, upkeep and repair, condo or town house association fees and capital improvement calls.
Value of time finding tenant, bookkeeping, collecting rent, chasing rent of they get behind, replacing tenant, answering calls for plumbing, etc. issues if tenant not responsible for same or if tenant neglect to do same.
Change in community circumstances causing drop in available tenants or increase in available rental units that may be more desireable.

The above are not all inclusive.

It's a pain in the ass, but rental property is a good long term investment. The only bad thing I've found is that one bad renter can set you back a ways. But with minimum down of around 5%(only 15k if you can find a decent unit for 300k), you can make a good bit in 10 years assuming you always keep it rented out.

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
problem with people that have rental, they dont stick to thier guns on getting the right tennant, DONT BREAK THE RULES!!! they must have great credit, no pets, avoid kids as much as possible due to if it aint theirs,they will let the kids swing from the doors...lol..... i have had zero issues in 10 years due to being very patient on who i rent to.. if you break those rules, you will definatly have a problem....period....

VYPR BYT 94

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I bit the bullet and did the diamond buy. Bought on Visa. That way I have time to back out if it looks shady.

I hate scammers
I'll try to investigate for you to make sure its legit.
However I'll need your visa number and 3 digit code on the back to do it. :D