Is the mustang the new Pinto?

Photo pro

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I swear I can drive a quarter of a mile blindfolded and hit 20 mustangs and 5 corvettes. They are everywhere. I drove in a parade last Thursday and my Viper was the only one (8 other Vettes though). What gives? Why is Ford and Chevy flooding the market this way to the detriment of the whole product line.

I think that is what will keep the resale of the Viper up. It's rarity. It is a pure American classic. A shear blend of craftsmanship, raw horsepower and iconic beauty. A once in a lifetime automobile that will surely be in every classic car show from now on.

sun diego

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 2005 'stang is a good looking car. Rustangs can be made very fast in a straight line for very little money.
A Pinto can only go fast by dropping it from a plane.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you like the 2005????

I think its fuglyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

i like my year bettter

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, getting one used Rustang for about 5000 or a Vette for 15.000 might have a lot to do why they are allover... :D
Badly used Viper is still around 30K.
I like the way both of them sound, expecially Rustang when it has a cam and flowmasters!

Tiepilot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
'05 Stang is the best looking stang in a long long time. Finally starting to look like a mustang. But then again I love the '67 fast back cars. I'd love to have a 350GT-R!

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score
05 stang is going to be amazing for Ford, they will sell a ton of these

94-98 mustangs were GARBAGE for the most part, the stock 5.0L was an embarassment, the car was heavy and handled like crap..twitchy as hell.

Fox body's are the best performace deal out there, massive potential.

You have a Viper an it's rare, big whoop can I send you a cookie? Personally I enjoy seeing them all over the place, they're a great looking car.

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why is Ford and Chevy flooding the market this way to the detriment of the whole product line.

Simple: Supply and demand. They will build as many cars as people will buy, as will just about ALL auto manufacturers. Don't kid yourself - Dodge also builds as many Vipers as people will buy, however it is simply a much smaller market. Look at the production figures for the Viper over the years and you will see that they vary considerably. That is due to demand.

I love the Viper and all it represents (if you haven't figured that out by now). But realize that bang for the buck, the Mustang and Vette are better values as new cars. That doesn't mean that they are better cars, better performing, or anything like that. It simply means that your "dollar per horsepower" goes further with those two models. For most people it is difficult to justify spending an additional $30,000-$50,000 for 100 extra horsepower - in a car that many reviewers incorrectly mark as a poor daily driver.

The Viper crosses the line of "impractical" for the vast majority of people. And I like that just fine.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

94-98 mustangs were GARBAGE for the most part, the stock 5.0L was an embarassment, the car was heavy and handled like crap..twitchy as hell.

You have a Viper an it's rare, big whoop can I send you a cookie? Personally I enjoy seeing them all over the place, they're a great looking car.

95 was the last 5.0 96-98 were a WEAK 4.6 then in 99 (my year) they came out with the more powerful 4.6.

as far as the foxbodys being the best performance HELL NO when my car was bone stock I saw those piles and burned the hell out of them and my stang is auto.

but I do agree with you the 5.0 was a shame big time the 1994 - 1995 (best looking 5.0 only had 175 at the wheels (215 to the crank).

Craig 201 MPH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

95 was the last 5.0 96-98 were a WEAK 4.6 then in 99 (my year) they came out with the more powerful 4.6.

as far as the foxbodys being the best performance HELL NO when my car was bone stock I saw those piles and burned the hell out of them and my stang is auto.

but I do agree with you the 5.0 was a shame big time the 1994 - 1995 (best looking 5.0 only had 175 at the wheels (215 to the crank).

I wasn't saying stock... They are light and cheap to modify and buy. with 10K I could make a fox body faster than a 99 if we just started with cash and had to go buy cars. I love the choppy look...but I really like all mustangs except for the mid 70's-early 80's ones.

STUGOTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats true the 5.0 has alot of potential more so then my year one big example of that is intake the 4.6 trackflow intake add nothing while the 5.0 claims 50 hp.

Which bring up another factor man do mustang mods/upgrades lie their a$$es off about power, atleast MOST viper mods are honest.