Is using washer fluid for ****/Water injection really a good idea?

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This quote is from a well respected guy who sells many methonal kits to the guys on Supra Forums. http://www.derekdevises.com/MW.html

When asked if it was safe to use windshield washer fluid for **** injection this was his reply, I know many of the Viper owners here use washer fluid and I am considering doing so as well, but as many Viper owners here I only want the best for my Viper, I can buy pure methonal from a local race shop at $5.00 / Gal and dilute it with distilled water myself, it might be a better idea although not as convieniant as buying the Walmart washer fluid, anyway here is what Derek had to say:

"You can, but I strongly recommend against it. That's like saying you can drink piss because it's mostly water. In the case of windshield fluid, there are soaps and detergents in there that are good for cleaning glass and removing streaks, and also good at breaking down oil, in particular drying out or washing down cylinder lubrication."

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The best is to use Winter formula. There is nearly no soap. Summer formula uses staff to remove bugs from your windshield.

Methanole is toxic and is a very powerfull agent to remove paint and dissolve fiber glass. I only make 90% water /10% **** mix. On some cars with poor quality paint you can see the paint fainted after 4 years around the windshield nozzles.

OP
OP
O

orlandov10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so you don't use Winter Formula? I take it you mix your own?

Adam

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I would mix your own if you have the methanol to do it...plus you control the ratio and like the post said above...no soap.

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
O.K., So I am visiting my parents up in Hood River Oregon, and I am on a dial up computer, unbelievably slow, and I am trying to buy my next years ration of Water/**** windshield washer fluid. Last year I bought the Super Tech -20 degree formula, and went on the Wal-Mart msds site and saw it was 31% methanol, and the rest water. This year I see they have that and a green bottle that says -30 degree formula. It is Super Tech Premium De-Icer Windshield Washer Fluid. It is -30 degrees. I go to the Wal-Mart msds site, and it is not listed. I even searched the Mfg.'s site, and it does not come up. Anybody know what is in this green formula, before I buy 12 gallons of the stuff to bring back down to California, which by the way, is illegal to sell windshield washer formulas in the state with any methanol in it.

Thanks in advance. If I don't get any answers, I plan on going over to Wal-Mart today, and see if they have the msds sheets on file at the store.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just did a check on the walmart MSD site. The SUPER Tech washer fluid(different from the Tech 2000) shows **** at 36%(Fox company). Saw the Fox company -30 formula at 41%, not much of a difference. If you want to boost the **** %, add a bottle or two of HEET (99.9 Methanol) :2tu:

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 RT/10 I don't see on Wal-Marts msds site, the Super Tech -30 degree formula. I see only the -25 degree. What site are you going to? I just want to make sure that the green formula is only water and Methanol, and not any soap or weird additives. Where do you buy "HEET", and what exactly is it used for? Thanks

Mr Hemi Head

Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 RT/10 I don't see on Wal-Marts msds site, the Super Tech -30 degree formula. I see only the -25 degree. What site are you going to? I just want to make sure that the green formula is only water and Methanol, and not any soap or weird additives. Where do you buy "HEET", and what exactly is it used for? Thanks
The MSDS lists hazardous contents only. Since Methanol and water are clear liquids could it be the color is due to some other additive, like detergent?

Got Venom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I finally came up with a plan. I searched back in March of last year, and someone mentioned a site that sells "Boost Juice". It is a regulated formula just for water injection systems, and it is 49% Methanol, and 51% water, so it is not considered a combustible mixture. They actually ship it right to your door, in 4 gallon cases, for $25. So I ordered a couple of cases. I will skip the idea of having to buy windshield washer fluid in Oregon and carrying it back with me to California. I just hope now that I have ordered it, they don't e-mail me and tell me , sorry, but we don't deliver to California. I think the website was
http://www.snowperformance.net/proddetail.asp?prod=40060%2DG

Thanks for the help. It always pays to surf the search area.

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Same comment as on the other thread, if you mix your own W/M at 50/50 you can do it for less than $1.50 per gallon instead of the boost juice at over $11 per gallon delivered.

Reaction score
Same comment as on the other thread, if you mix your own W/M at 50/50 you can do it for less than $1.50 per gallon instead of the boost juice at over $11 per gallon delivered.

Thats only if you can find a source for the Methanol. I had limited success here. :( I ordered a case of the Boost Juice just to see if there is a difference, and they don't sell by the gallon.....and I'm wondering if it evaporates clear (no "Blue Streaks". :) In the interim I will continue to hit the **** labs....I mean search for a source for the Methanol. I think I have the water sourced already! LOL!

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thats only if you can find a source for the Methanol. I had limited success here. :( I ordered a case of the Boost Juice just to see if there is a difference, and they don't sell by the gallon.....and I'm wondering if it evaporates clear (no "Blue Streaks". :) In the interim I will continue to hit the **** labs....I mean search for a source for the Methanol. I think I have the water sourced already! LOL!

Another thing to note is that the 50/50 mix significantly changed my tune over the 75/25 mix I was using. My car went pig rich with the change.

FLX109

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where are you getting the methanol?

Shelby3

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Where are you getting the methanol?

I get mine from a local speed shop that supports mostly circle track racing. Last time I bought it, $2.35 per gallon any quantity.

viprvenm

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean & Dave at Roe Racing said that they personally use "TroubleFree" All Weather Formula Windshield Washer Fluid. I take their recommendation ... use what the pros use!
They say to MAKE SURE you get the "Protection to -30 Degrees F." :2tu: