JackB and Nine Ball - Question

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you get the power reduction issue sorted out yet? Has SRT provided a fix? If so, what are your numbers at the drag strip now? If not, do you have any idea what is taking SRT so long to sort it out? Please advise.

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been in Europe for the last month, so no updates here. Rest assured, I always share info when I do receive it. If it never gets "fixed", so be it. I don't consider it crisis, like some do.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ohio strips shut down a long time ago. 2014 will be a good year, we now understand the car. I really want to see the A6's on an autox.

Did you get the power reduction issue sorted out yet? Has SRT provided a fix? If so, what are your numbers at the drag strip now? If not, do you have any idea what is taking SRT so long to sort it out? Please advise.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So the bottom line is that there has not been an official fix yet - correct? Things are reversed down here. November to April are the best months since the late spring, summer, and early fall are so hot and muggy.

My guess is that the fix is not so simple and may require some sort of intake change and a calibration patch. It does not appear to be happening on road courses where air flow is better. So it must be heat related based on what you have both reported about your drag strip experiences.

Since the Gen V went through the same durability testing as any other Chrysler product, it is hard to understand why this issue did not present itself during that testing unless a component changed before the final production car was finalized that no one anticipated would cause a problem. Or, in the alternative, a vendor received incorrect specs to manufacture something or did not produce the part to spec in some or all cases.

At any rate, let's hope it gets fixed so the car can perform as it is supposed to perform. Once the problem is solved, the car should be able to dip into the tens on a good weather day at Florida altitude.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, are you on the driveviper site? There's like an 11 pg thread on this topic with lots of interesting stuff in it. Not trying to redirect, just FYI for ya if you're looking for more info. SRT response seems to range from, there is no problem, to, give us some info we'll look into it. Guys are working on heat sheilding ideas for testing the IAT being high theory. Hope that helps.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bob, are you on the driveviper site? There's like an 11 pg thread on this topic with lots of interesting stuff in it. Not trying to redirect, just FYI for ya if you're looking for more info. SRT response seems to range from, there is no problem, to, give us some info we'll look into it. Guys are working on heat sheilding ideas for testing the IAT being high theory. Hope that helps.
For such a small team at SRT, the varying responses bothers me.

Quite a few of us have reached out, to varying people and heard different things - from "Working as intended" to "We are going to fix it"

I had my service manager reach out to SRT and they told him that "Well, if many people are experiencing it, it must be intended" - thankfully he told them that it is a bull**** answer.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Answers like that are a bad sign. They suggest a cover up of some sort. Sort of like the window regulator issue that was just ignored for a long time. If the problem is there, and I believe Nine Ball and Jack that it is since they are both highly credible and experienced people, the smart thing to do is just admit it and fix it at no charge to the owner whether it is in all of the cars or just a few. New models can have issues and frequently do. Everyone knows this. Its no big deal.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not on that site. I took a quick look. Wow! The Gen V owners are being incredibly reasonable about this. This is a new car that cost over 100K. There is a problem. It should be fixed. Period.

Gen V owners should not have to do anything other than ask to have it fixed. It is bad enough that some have taken their car to the strip and endured lackluster performance. They are due an apology.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Answers like that are a bad sign. They suggest a cover up of some sort. Sort of like the window regulator issue that was just ignored for a long time. If the problem is there, and I believe Nine Ball and Jack that it is since they are both highly credible and experienced people, the smart thing to do is just admit it and fix it at no charge to the owner whether it is in all of the cars or just a few. New models can have issues and frequently do. Everyone knows this. Its no big deal.
It will get sorted, no one is really that anxious about it. I personally couldn't care less since I don't drag, but I want them to get it fixed.

former345bhpLS1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reading the SRT Viper book (ML), getting the engine fully certified for federal standards was very difficult this time around. Especially the need to for full compliance with misfire detection, which is quite difficult for a high cylinder count uneven firing engine. Someone on the board (Nine Ball?) stated that the engineers think that the misfire detection system is part of the problem as it has to be very sensitive to pass EPA requirements. During normal street operations, it doesn't seem to be a problem, but on the dyno and at the strip - different story.

Ralph Gilles mentioned that part of the delivery delay was related to EPA cert stuff and the PCM coding had to be finalized early in the process to meet intended delivery deadlines (that were missed anyway). I'm not sure how long it would take to get a fix and then certify through the EPA - doesn't sound like it would be quick. In the mean time, disconnecting the front wheelspeed sensors is supposed to be a good work around.

Sounds like SRT really needs a track key or track mode so they can program the engine they way it was meant to run. Like you said before, the car is an anachronism and getting these big, normally aspirated engines to meet requirements is getting very difficult. No wonder all the mainstream german makers (BMW, M-B, Audi) have pretty much eliminated NA engines.

This is what I've heard and excuses aside, I hope they sort it out soon.

-Nick

Twister

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I agree that there is a problem that needs to be adressed. It still seems that the car is averaging 11.2-11.5 in the quartermile.

Nothing to sneeze at by any means.

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
While I agree that there is a problem that needs to be adressed. It still seems that the car is averaging 11.2-11.5 in the quartermile.

Agreed. For my perspective, it's not about what she'll do, it's about going to an event. I think the mag tests have done OK because they can pull up & run, it's their venue. We mortals get a good run and then this heat thing sets in and you're done for the rest of the day, per the guys out there testing it. If I pull the trigger I'd want to hit some exotic car drag (dig or roll) events, which are cool, so this would be good to have addressed.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not disagree but the problem is that many Gen IVs and Gen IIIs with a stock Paxton kit do that well or better. Mine ran an 11.4 on the fifth run after driving 105 miles and running hot laps with no significant cool down after the 105 mile drive and the first four runs on a warm, humid day. And the tire pressure was mistakenly left at 38 lbs by an idiot - me; the suspension was left on road course settings and it was the first time I had run the car in the quarter mile. So it makes it difficult for those who already own those cars to trade for a Gen V - especially if the upgraded interior and the tech is not important to them. I realize that this is not everybody by any means but it is a significant number of people.

Don't get me wrong. I consider the Gen V a beautiful design and a significant SRT achievement given the time and budget constraints they had to work with. But the level of performance at the strip reported by Jack and Nine Ball is disappointing for a car which is lighter and has more power than a stock Gen IV. Hopefully, SRT will fix the problem.

ferraritoviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<<Not on that site. I took a quick look>>

Bob, you are a "senior citizen" on the VCA boards, which needs to be duly respected, and I enjoy most of them....especially the general forum posts here the last several days, to pick up converstion during the slow holiday(s). Further, your strong support of VCA is know by all, but pul-ee-zze, don't pretend that you don't visit the VOA daily :)

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I really do not visit it daily. I have gone to it three times, including today, since it stood up to see the format and the activity level. The VCA forum is the only Forum I post on. The only other car related forum I monitor regularly for data is Allpar.

My only observation regarding the new site is that, to a large extent, it seems like a clone of this site; and, I noted when I skimmed the thread at issue that the tone, etc. of the posts seems the same. Not really a surprise since some of the same people who were, and are, active here are active there.

Imitation is one of the strongest forms of praise. It also tends to support the fact that the VCA, as an institution, is a worthwhile entiity which should not be judged by the acts of a few persons who passed through its leadership. The VCA has a long and proud history that should not be overlooked because of its recent problems.

<<Not on that site. I took a quick look>>

Bob, you are a "senior citizen" on the VCA boards, which needs to be duly respected, and I enjoy most of them....especially the general forum posts here the last several days, to pick up converstion during the slow holiday(s). Further, your strong support of VCA is know by all, but pul-ee-zze, don't pretend that you don't visit the VOA daily :)

Last edited:

IndyRon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I really do not visit it daily. I have gone to it three times since it stood up to see the format and the activity level. The VCA forum is the only Forum I post on. The only other car related forum I monitor regularly for data is Allpar.

My only observation regarding the new site is that, to a large extent, it seems like a clone of this site; and, I noted when I skimmed the thread at issue that the tone, etc. of the posts seems the same. Not really a surprise since some of the same people who were, and are, active here are active there.

Imitation is one of the strongest forms of praise. It also tends to support the fact that the VCA, as an institution, is a worthwhile entiity which should not be judged by the acts of a few persons who passed through its leadership. The VCA has a long and proud history that should not be overlooked because of its recent problems.

I could care less about the Gen V ET's. I want to know trap speeds. Has anyone cracked 130mph? If not, somethings wrong.

OP
OP
Bobpantax

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If someone has, they have not posted here. The best time publicly known to date was done by Brooks at Palm Beach International on 4/7/13 with a car provided by SRT that had drag radials on it. He did an 11.1 after many tries. Brooks is a very experienced driver. If I remember correctly, the trap speed on the 11.1 run was 128. Brooks posted that he did not sense any power loss among the runs but did feel that first gear was too long for the car to be as effective as it could be at the drag strip. To give you some context, there was a stock 911 Porsche turbo running 10.8 on the same day. He did so effortlessly.

I could care less about the Gen V ET's. I want to know trap speeds. Has anyone cracked 130mph? If not, somethings wrong.

Jack B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No dis, however, at what DA do you want 130. You could take a G5 down to MIR at the end of the season and easily trap over 130. The problem a lot of us have is that we race where the DA never gets below 2500 and typically it is above that.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya,that 10.80s Turbo S is history,the new 2014 Turbo S is getting broke in now...Weather is real good for the track now a days in Palm Beach...

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Running a low 11 in a Viper takes driver skill. Running a 10 in a Porsche takes writing a check. Impressive performer, but I don't buy my cars based on which car is the fastest in the world. All of them are slow compared to my '06 Viper, which I built myself. Stock performance gets a "meh" from me, regardless of vehicle.

SnakeBitten

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What kind of car do you have again?

LOL....

But seriously I am really curious to see what the 2014 Turbo S is going to do in the 1/4. It should gave the Mclaren a decent run so it should be in the mid 10's @ 130's.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Running a low 11 in a Viper takes driver skill. Running a 10 in a Porsche takes writing a check. Impressive performer, but I don't buy my cars based on which car is the fastest in the world. All of them are slow compared to my '06 Viper, which I built myself. Stock performance gets a "meh" from me, regardless of vehicle.

While I find the TTS impressive tech wise, coming in and telling everyone you have one, and how fast it is, is boring. Don't get me wrong, I want one myself.

Congrats, you own a car I could go grab a 16yo kid from a local high school in and he can run 10's just like you after he is shown how to launch.

As far as drag racing goes, I find the skill of being able to pull times impressive, not what a computer can do. I find more impressive what custom built cars like yours can do.

Nambo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL....

But seriously I am really curious to see what the 2014 Turbo S is going to do in the 1/4. It should gave the Mclaren a decent run so it should be in the mid 10's @ 130's.

Check out Chris Harris' new Drive video. He did just that, 0 to 100 pretty close, after 100 the Mac checks out on the Porsche.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The reason I got a 2011 Turbo S ,is I tryed like crazy(years) to be into the 10s with my Gen.4.I can drive,may be above average,but nothing like Brooks and I am sure ,like others running Vipers.I would have a difficult time launching the Gen.4 and that 2nd to 3 rd upshift was a *****.I want to do that 10s stuff Constantly,so that why I will be writing checks and just pushing the gas.All I can say now is the 14 TS is faster than the 11 TS.The boost comes on harder,lower rpm and longer than the 11.So,it should do 10.50 s with good track condition and cool weather..

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
....and you'd still get drug by 15+ cars against my '06 Viper with no nannies and a man shifter.

:)

IndyRon

Viper Owner
Reaction score
No dis, however, at what DA do you want 130. You could take a G5 down to MIR at the end of the season and easily trap over 130. The problem a lot of us have is that we race where the DA never gets below 2500 and typically it is above that.

Any DA, negative or otherwise. The car is ever so slightly faster than the Gen IV ACR based on video of NineBall's runs but is hampered by an overly sensitive computer it appears that limits maximum power frequently enough that it wasn't possible to get off a clean run in mid 70's air. I agree that very few people have posted times (mainly because very few have been sold and only a percentage of those folks race their cars) but this car needs to be a 130mph car all day long in decent air to justify the price in todays market. I don't mean to bring up the beat to death "is the Gen V worth it" argument, I just want to see this car perform above its peers (C7 Z06/ZR1) when released. I really hope they give the ACR, if they make it, more @ss to go with the handling.

FLL-B/W-GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be serious Nine Ball,we are talking about completely factory condition street cars,with street tires/Not 1000 Hp race cars...

Nine Ball

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be serious Nine Ball,we are talking about completely factory condition street cars,with street tires/Not 1000 Hp race cars...

My point is that there is always someone faster at the track. And, last time I checked, nobody at the track cares if your car is a 1969 or a 2014. There are no drag racing classes for 2014 only models. Hence the reason I don't buy my cars based on what they do when stock. I know the 911TS also has good mod potential and can run 9s on the stock turbos, but will you do that also?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235