Junkman's Scratch Removal with Meguiar's Polishes, HD & Lake Contry Pads

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know that we have quite a few Meguiar's users on this board so you all will like this.

In this video, I am working in a situation where it is hot in my garage and humid outside. This weather combination can lead to the polishes that I use creating dust. What I do in this video is use Meguiar's M205, which has a nice long working time with virtually no dusting issues. In a hot and humid situation, the M105 & M205 combination is what I like to go with. I also use a High Definition Car Care green pad to remove the initial damage. The pad is a cutting/polishing pad so it's leaves behind a very small amount of paint correction damage. I chose that pad because I needed a little more cut than what a white pad would have given me, but less cut than what a orange pad would have provided. I follow that pad with a blue Lake Country polishing pad to clean up the ever so slight haze that the HD pad leaves behind. I could have followed the green HD pad with a blue HD pad but I didn't have one handy.

I used Meguiar's #9 on the blue Lake Country pad that I used but I could have easily stayed with the M205 and used it on the blue pad instead. I chose the #9 because it provides less cut than M205. It's almost 6 of one, a half a dozen of the other. I'm basically experimenting just to see how well it works. It turned out well as you will see in the video.

This video is more about you looking in on me doing what I do, as well as my way of offering something up to the folks who cannot easily or cheaply get some of the other products that I use. It's also important that you realize that my technique is much more important than the names on the bottles. Technique trumps product every day of the week. I would say that it is more about how you use what you use because using a good product with a lousy technique is going to yield lousy results.

This video is my way of allowing you inside my mindset and seeing the way I work. Normally, this would be something that I do in my garage and nobody would ever know. I'm sharing my thoughts on things as well as WHY I do some of the things that I do and WHY I'm using the products that I'm using. As you will glean from this video, there are multiple products that I can use in order to achieve my usual, excellent results. I choose to keep various product lines in my garage so that I can address various scenarios. If you do this type of work long enough, you will find out that some product PERFORM better than others in a given situation. That's not a question about what will work as a lot of products will get the job done, but more of a question about which product will get the job done with the least amount of headaches. Your experience with this type of paint work is just as important as what you use also. After all, you want as positive of an experience as possible.

Enjoy! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrNJ9ZAK-_M&feature=plcp

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Wondering where you've been AJ! I know you've a ....ahem...switched from Adam's products. I use Megs as well as Adam's, so it's nice to see how you work with different products.

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's not so much that I "switched", it's more a case of showing how different products may be more suitable for a given situation. There is a lot of stuff that I want to show. I'm taping a love bugs/bird poop video right now. Wait until you see that one. :D

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Great video and attitude when it comes to using the right products for the job. I use M105 and 205 a lot down here in hot/humid Houston TX.

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can imagine that Flatout. That is probably the best polish for you year round. Do you ever have any issues with it dusting up on you?

MikeG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
AJ,

Great video. I too reside in Texas (San Antonio area); so like Flatout, have to contend with high temps + humidity.
Great information that I will certainly use.

:2tu:

OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'll love the way M105 & M205 perform under your working conditions.

FLATOUT

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I can imagine that Flatout. That is probably the best polish for you year round. Do you ever have any issues with it dusting up on you?

No problems with dust. My car has some custom paint work so it has the factory clear and another clear, so I have two different combos that work well when leveling. The only product I have a dusting issue with is Zaino ZPC on a black LC pad. The aftermarket clear on my car is very soft so I can correct 98% of the defects using my flex DA and that combo. No matter what I do (spritz pad with detail spray, scuff pad clean, fresh washed pad), it always dusts at the end of the working cycle. I'm very happy with the result on the clear but it does require a little more cleanup on my end.

I could work the product a little less (stop pre flash) but the final result isn't as good.

Andy

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Junkman2008

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No problems with dust. My car has some custom paint work so it has the factory clear and another clear, so I have two different combos that work well when leveling. The only product I have a dusting issue with is Zaino ZPC on a black LC pad. The aftermarket clear on my car is very soft so I can correct 98% of the defects using my flex DA and that combo. No matter what I do (spritz pad with detail spray, scuff pad clean, fresh washed pad), it always dusts at the end of the working cycle. I'm very happy with the result on the clear but it does require a little more cleanup on my end.

I could work the product a little less (stop pre flash) but the final result isn't as good.

Andy

You are so DEAD ON about ZPC! It does a good job at removing swirls but it is very similar to a lot of other products that I use. I usually end up following it with Meguiar's #9 like I did in this video. When it gets hot, they all will do some amount of dusting, especially when you hit an edge or crease. Spritzing is about the only way to attempt to control it. The M105/205 combo are the only polishes that I have used that do not experience that problem.