Just got whooped by a green Kawasaki

Mike_W

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Viper is a 2002 GTS FE. I only have an intake on it, and I don't think it actually gives me any performance.

Anyway, a green Kawasaki pulls up behind me at the stop light. There is another car to my right, so he stays behind me. I take off a bit faster to get in front of the car to my right to give him room. Then he and I both punch it. I assume I hit it first but he was ready for me. I was barely winning as I was climbing my RPMS in 2nd, but he was about to pull away. My wife yelled at me so I didn't even take it into third. I was right about to shift, but decided not too because of my wife, but it doesn't matter.. I think he would have won anyway. Then my wife said she was pissed. I told her I was sorry for racing and she said she is pissed because we lost. I told her she made us lose, but I still think I would have lost. I am not sure what model it was, it was green though.

I thought stock Vipers could beat rice rockets. Perhaps if someone else were behind the wheel, they would have won. Oh well... it was fun for 2 or 3 seconds.

Mike

DarcShadow

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kawi's are usually green and there are 3 main sport bikes. The ZX-6R, ZX-9R, and ZX-12R. Although they did just come out with a ZX-10R. A stock viper vs a stock bike should be able to take the 6R, the 9R would be more dependent on drivers but I'd give the bike a slight edge and the 12R would easily take a stock viper. Modern sport bikes are just amazing. The new 10R is producing 185hp and weight less then 400lbs. Very few cars can match that power to weight ratio. I will give the Viper this though. It's the only car I've ever been in or driven that gives you the rush of acceleration that a bike can give.

ZX12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd still be careful with today's stock 600 cc bikes, especially from a standstill or a slow roll, as a well-ridden 600 cc superbike can run mid 10's in the quarter, at over 125 mph trap speeds. Now from a highway roll, a stock Viper may be able to outrun a 600 cc, if the rider does not max out his bike.

Now if its a stock Viper vs a stock ZX12, the 12 should pretty much take it, drag start or roll-on, unless the rider chickens out. A bone-stock 12, ridden by pro Keith Dennis, has run a 9.8 second, 148 mph quarter mile time. I've ridden in my friends stock Viper, and no matter how hard he tries to push it, it doesn't seem nearly as quick as my stock ZX12, Busa, or R1.

What's scary, is that the new class of literbikes will have power levels nearing that of the ZX12, but with weights that are lighter than the current GSXR1000.

LW VIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mike:

I'm new to Vipers, but I've owned many motorcycles. You will lose the stop light wars to motorcycles anytime they want to blow you off. The last motorcycle I owned was a 2003 Suzuki 1000 K3 (1000 cc) 180 hp 400 lbs.

0-60 in 2.8 seconds.

I've owned Honda 929, 900, 600 and everyone of them will dust ANY car from a stop light.

You can beat them on top end, as the aerodynamics start hurting bikes at about 120 mph, and many top out before 150, and all are currently artificially limited at 186 (a speed I've never seen on the track or the street on a motorcycle- never been over 165, but then I weigh over 200lbs)

Forget bikes. Just be glad to own one of the fastest production cars on the planet.

utahviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree that bikes are very fast off the line and in slow roll situations but just about any bike under 1000cc don't have a chance against my viper. I do agree that any of the above mentioned bikes will probably beat a stock viper from a stop but they won't beat any car from a stop.

Highway rollons are a whole different situation.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i run low 10's in the 1/4 on my year 2000 kawasaki zrx-1100. but then i am also running 8 lbs. of boost thru my aerodyne aerocharger turbo. the bike would look like one hell of a sleeper if it weren't for my turbo hangin from the bottom of my header collector. :D

RavenFan_94

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Does Kawasakis still make a ZX-7R? I owned a 95 and never got the point where I can man handle that bike. I don't think my snake, could take it on the street.

Firecat F7 Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife yelled at me so I didn't even take it into third. I was right about to shift, but decided not too because of my wife, but it doesn't matter.. I think he would have won anyway. Then my wife said she was pissed. I told her I was sorry for racing and she said she is pissed because we lost. I told her she made us lose, but I still think I would have lost. I am not sure what model it was, it was green though.

I thought stock Vipers could beat rice rockets. Perhaps if someone else were behind the wheel, they would have won. Oh well... it was fun for 2 or 3 seconds.

Mike
Wow...For a minute there, I thought you had my wife in your car!.... until I read that she was pissed that you lost. My wife hates when I start driving fast or when i get easily egged on by another driver. She starts yelling at me and that makes it so hard to concentrate and drive.
I have actually had her in tears when I drive fast on a tight twisty road.
She usually gets her way though and most times I drive very mellow when she is in Viper with me and I have to admit that she has probably saved me many speeding tickets too!!
Don't worry about losing to a bike. I used to own a 1986 Suzuki GSXR1100 and even back then that bike would do 10.29 in the 1/4. Probably one of the first years of the superbikes that started going so fast and lightweight.
I ended up crashing the bike a year after I bought it. I am lucky I didn't kill myself on it. I feel much safer in the Viper!

Makara

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I've owned Honda 929, 900, 600 and everyone of them will dust ANY car from a stop light.

I have raced a 929 from a roll to 120 and beaten it maybe three or four times. The guy on the bike didn't believe it and kept wanting to race again.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i put a nos dry nytrus kit on my year 2001 honda cbr 929-rr erion race edition bike. i can spray anywhere from a 25 hp shot to a 40 hp shot with just the change of a nos jet in my airbox and a remap on my powercommander 3r. the only other mods i have are my erion race slip on pipe and my barnett kevlar race clutch.

i dyno'd 155 rwhp with the 25 shot of juice and my bike weighs in at 406 lbs wet at the strip. unfortunatley, i weigh 230 lbs with gear on so getting a quick time has been hard to come be for me. so far my best time is 10.83 seconds in the 1/4 mile @ 134 mph. i don't hit the nitrous until i get into 2nd gear because the bike will just flip over. once i hit it in 2nd i stay on it all the way thru the 1/4 mile until i hit the finish line at the top of 4th gear.

i srayed the nos in 6th gear one time on the freeway to see how fast my bike would go. my speedo read 171 mph but my gps strapped to my gas tank revealed the truth of the matter. my real speed was only 157 mph. i run the stock gearing in my bike and i was pulling 11,500 rpm's in 6th gear.

to see a pic of me launching my nitrous injected drag bike at the strip all u have to do is double click or right click on the following link >>>>>>> drag bike pic <<<<<<<

Gerald

Enthusiast
Reaction score
YOu would be SUPRISED TO SEE HOW MANY BIKES A STOCK VIPER CAN BEAT. You're average m/c rider are usually just kids that do wheelies and stuff. They can't launch worth crap. Race 'em, you'll be suprised how good you do.....

When you hear about all the times these 'stock' bikes run they are usually tied down in the front, aftermarkte exhaust, clutch and sprocket.

Like I said, race a true stock 600 or 750 from a light.. and enjoy.. You'll see his tailights but it won't be as bad as you think..!!

G

InjectTheVenom

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gimme a place to upload vids, I have a beautiful video of a Doug Levin supercharged Viper GTS racing a Yamaha R1 on the street :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang