Just had My Jerico 5-speed road racing transmission installed!

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all, This is my first post on the new Viper board! The toughest part was finding the posting icon. Anyway, I am jumping for joy because SVS just finished the installation of my Jerico 5-speed road race transmission. Ron Sr took me for a ride and the first thing I noticed is how quick the shift occurs and that the front end seemed to come up off the ground 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd. I know it did not really lift, but it felt like it did! Being a passenger is one thing, being a driver is quite another. All I can say here is that I have for the last few months since I have been contemplating the switch, my wildest imagination could not have prepared me for what I was about to experience: My brain still can not comprehend how INSTANTANEOUS is the nature of the shift. I have practiced in my mind how I thought it would be=> I was way off! With the stock trans, you accelerate, take your foot off the gas, clutch in, shift, clutch out, accelerate, right? With this Jerico, all you have to do is slightly lift your foot off the gas, start to move the shifter and before you can even comprehend you have to put the gas pedal back down the 1/8 inch you lifted, your head is being slammed into the seat back! It is incredible! The throw is much shorter than that of the SVS shifter for the stock trans that most of the people on this board including myself thinks is the best. This Jerico transmission is used in just about all of the Nascar and Winston Cup Race cars. It has straight cut gears with Dog Ring sleeves that accomplish the shifting. The stock T-56 has helical shaped gears whose intrinsic shape leads to more drag as the power goes from the engine through the transmission. According to Jerico, the Jerico 5-speed road race transmission loses only .5 horsepower from the engine to the wheels compared to the stock one that loses 25 horsepower to the wheels. I have dynoed the car before the swap and will let you all know what it actually turns out to be when I dyno the new setup. If there are any other guys out there who have gone through 5 stock transmissions like I have or who will get their warranties and/or service contracts cancelled like what recently happened to me, Upgrade these parts and then you will not have to worry about transmissions anymore! SVS has done all the developmental work. Anybody interested in this should come to Chicago for a ride with me, If you like it, then have SVS do another flawless job for you as they have done for me time and time again. Paolo
P.S. The whine of the straight cut gears Sounds Awesome!

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tell us more! You just using it for road racing?? Can it be run on the street, or is it too noisy and jerky? Did the bellhousing have to be modified? Same hydraulic clutch. Driveshaft length the same? I'd be real interested for Drag Racing. Could cut a tenth or two.

Geoff Green

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paolo, I grew up in Glen Ellyn and have heard alot about SVS. I was wondering if you are able to downshift without double clutching with the straight cut gears. Geoff Green

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pauls:
Tell us more! You just using it for road racing?? Can it be run on the street, or is it too noisy and jerky? Did the bellhousing have to be modified? Same hydraulic clutch. Driveshaft length the same? I'd be real interested for Drag Racing. Could cut a tenth or two.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I believe you can used it on the street, that's where I intend to use it mostly anyway. It all depends upon what you consider to be noisy. It kind of sounds like reverse when you are going foreward. You would have to talk to Ron Sr. @SVS about the modifications, he is the expert. I am sure you could cut more than a tenth or two. Paolo

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul Fischer:
Very intriging. Let us know your experiences after a day at the track.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Paul, I think it will be a few months before i get to go to the track as I live in Chicago and we have had some freezing days recently. I will post what I do though, Paolo.

OP
OP
P

Paolo Castellano

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Geoff Green:
Paolo, I grew up in Glen Ellyn and have heard alot about SVS. I was wondering if you are able to downshift without double clutching with the straight cut gears. Geoff Green

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Geoff, I only drove the car for a little bit before the weather turned to freezing rain. I remember popping it into neutral(no clutch) then blipping the throttle to the correct rpm to downshift. I believe that as long as the load is released it is not that difficult to bypass the clutch. I am sure the Nascar and Winston Cup guys do not use the clutch at all. I will need to learn how to do it as correctly and as efficiently as possible. It really was not that difficult to drive for the first time. The transmission feels stronger than the whole car. As long as you are relatively close you should have no problem. If you still live in Glen Ellyn, I will take you for a ride. Paolo

Chuck 97 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paolo Castellano:
It all depends upon what you consider to be noisy.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You probably can't hear it over your exhaust anyway!
You must be registered for see images

Seriously though, I like to check it out when it warms up a bit.