K&N or SB-What flows & filters best?

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
K&N's got a great brand name and reputation, but when it comes to flow, the S&B's have more filter area with deeper pleats. HP wise, the S&B's made 2 more HP than the K&N's when we tested them. Basically, they're both very similar on the filter media (cotton) and can be serviced (washed and reoiled).

Though I'm a longtime K&N user, I like the S&B's better and use them now instead of K&N's. The stock filters and tubes are fine as long as you don't want the extra 17+ hp and would rather buy air filters every 15K mi or so.

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Welch:
Take a look at the MAX FLOW INTAKE SYSTEM on my website at Http://btrviper.com

In an independent test performed by the Kansas Viper Club, this intake performed smooth tubes, K&N's and SB filters by a 100% margin.

Tom
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Tom,

Just to clarify, that car, that day, that dyno pull in what I read to be a fun enviroment versus one intended to be a controlled test enviroment, your filters and tubes did outperform our supplied smooth tubes with S&B filters. Though we saw a 17 HP increase on my GTS with the smooth tubes and S&B filters versus stock when tested in a controlled enviroment, that day, that car at the KS dyno day, saw far less.

With the permission of the author, here's a recent e-mail we received:

"Sean,

I received your smooth tube/filter combo recently and noted a claimed up to 17 hp. Friday finally arrived and i decided to dyno my 2001 GTS with 1900 miles (bone stock) then install the smooth tubes, and filters and run it through once again. I didn't count on getting 17 rwhp before the test and thought I'd be happy with just 10 rwhp.

My vehicle was tested at Morgan Motorpsorts in the valley in less than optimal conditions (108 degree hot Los Angeles County valley weather)
Bone stock my car had a rwhp best of 393 and 433.2 torque after two runs. I installed your filters and tubes and then did one run which returned 412.9 rwhp and 449.8 torque. I was wowed that with these minor and inexpensive mods i picked up 20 rwhp and approx 16.5 torque with power increases through the whole RPM range! You should update your website to 20rwhp improvement :)

Anyways, your product speaks volumes and i will frequent your website for my future viper needs

I can fax you the graphs if you would like.

Thank you
Ivan ...."

Bottom line, every upgraded filter system available for the Viper is going to make more power than stock. Nobody is going to offer anything that reduces power.

On a personal note, I do like the look of the TNT and BTR cone filter systems with polished tubes. But, really can't see that they would be getting the coolest air possible when the vehicle was in motion. It would be very easy to create a test where we could link up to a Viper PCM with the EASE software and read the intake air temperature reading with both types of air intakes to see what the difference was. Tom, if you can send me one tube with the intake air temperature sensor port and air filter setup, I'll run one of your tubes and one smooth tube / stock air box at the same time on the road.

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sean,

Thats a good idea, I will send you one. BTW, my post was not to knock your smooth tubes or anyone elses, but to point out that the cone filter system does work as an alternative while enhanceing the look of the engine compartment.

The bottom line is that with 450 BHP, adding 10 or so more is not going to be felt by the driver............its a matter of "being like the Jones's" or maybe having something different and original like the system that I have.

Take care guys,

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

OP
OP
S

Sean Roe

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
No problem Tom. I didn't take anything you wrote in a negative way. But, I apreciate you taking the time to state that.

When I get the filter tube set results, I'll contact you and give you the results first. Then we can decide what to do with it. I want to do the test to see if there's a difference in intake air temperature, not to use it as a marketing tool
smile.gif

LOL!