Knocking noise problem?? Help

brianpauli

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hello and Im new to this forum along with being a viper owner for the first time. I purchased a 2004 viper with 17,400 original miles on it about 2 months ago and drove it back to Granbury from Miami. About a week ago I drove into town and heard a, for the most part a "rubbing" sound above 2000 rpms. When I took the car out back to town the next time it progressively got louder over a period of about 20 miles till l got home then it was a definate "knocking" sorta sound. I went out yesterday and with the car in neutral, hood open, if I push down on the throttle body at around 2500 rpms I can hear and feel through my thumb on the throttle body a definate knocking sound like its coming from the engine. This blows my mind with me buying the car with only 17000 original miles on it and the older gentleman I bought it from Im quite sure didnt abuse it since he just changed the back tires for the first time and their only 20,000 mile tires. For the most part Im freaking out because I dont know what it could be nor do I know who could work on it that knows this car like the back of their hand? A couple of friends, one who is a technician both mentioned that a pilot bearing will make it seem like its a knocking noise coming from the engine also....... I do not know but I would very much appreciate it if anyone can lead me in the right direction as far as what it could be and also where around the Granbury to Ft. Worth area I might find a reliable viper knowledgable tech. Thanks so much and have a great day.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
On any Viper...but especially a 2004...check the crank damper bolt for tightness. Some are so loose that you can turn this bolt with your fingers.

Regardless of what you find/don't find...as a new owner, I would suggest a flatbed ride to a Viper Tech.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A spun rod bearing can sound like a knock, and unfortunately that is all too common on these cars. Don't ask me how I know.

Last edited:

bluesrt

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes a rod bearing is more like a lifter noise,and main bearing more like a wood block knock.....

supersnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First thing, Drop out your Oil and remove the filter and cut it open and look for cuttings. If it has cuttings in the filter paper, Then it is probably a main or rod bearing. Either way I would leave it shut off until you inspect the filter.

OP
OP
brianpauli

brianpauli

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I cut the filter bottom as suggested and there are silver bits of metal embedded within the paper element. Kevin already suggested this and I talked to RSI about repairing this and they said there is a flaw in the way the oil lubricated these bearings and they modify this so it lubricates better...... approx. $5500.00 for repair after talking to them. I was told they come highly recommended regardless.

wikkid

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ok, I cut the filter bottom as suggested and there are silver bits of metal embedded within the paper element. Kevin already suggested this and I talked to RSI about repairing this and they said there is a flaw in the way the oil lubricated these bearings and they modify this so it lubricates better...... approx. $5500.00 for repair after talking to them. I was told they come highly recommended regardless.
Man, that *****. I would still find a Viper tech to check this out. I bought a 04 last May and unscrewed the damper bolt by hand when i got the car home. So check that as well anyway. Hope you get it fixed up. Makes me sick to hear stuff like this with a 17k mile car.

PootyP

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Same thing happened here with my 04' both the damer bolt being loose and I also spun bearings. Cost about what you were quoted and was told basically the same story on oil pickup. I was also told that this can happen if you get on the car too hard when the engine is too cold, before the oil warms up and from tracking the car. This ***** i know bc the car will be gone a while and cost, but you will have a rebuilt bottom end that is stronger and better than original. Just hope that you didnt scar or do any damage to your journal areas on shaft where bearings are.

TexasViper35

Enthusiast
Reaction score
On any Viper...but especially a 2004...check the crank damper bolt for tightness. Some are so loose that you can turn this bolt with your fingers.

Regardless of what you find/don't find...as a new owner, I would suggest a flatbed ride to a Viper Tech.

Where is the damper bolt?

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Large, lowest pulley in the center of the front of the motor...it has the harmonic damper mounted to that pulley. There is a large, central bolt that may be in question.

Steve-Indy

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Here is one of my early posts on this well known issue:
"
JUST completed the "bolt inspection" of a beautiful 2006 Coupe (blue/white)...#30 of 200...at Indy's Palmer Dodge North...Viper Tech Phil Honeycutt did the formal inspection and AFFIRMS that for 2006 the crank damper bolt has the 1.25 inch( 1 1/4" ) hex head ("big bolt"), with a small blue dot on center of this bolt which, otherwise looks like the same bolt as found on the 2003 Vipers....THANKS, Phil & Palmer !!!

While Kurt and I were at it, we visited the nice folks at Indy's Champion Dodge...and looked at the bolts on a red 2005 SRT-10 and on a 2005 Copperhead SRT-10....in BOTH cases, the crank damper bolts were the same as on the 2006 Viper...with the same blue dot....THANKS, Champion !!!"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets