Kumho V700 vs. Michelin P2 vs. Toyo R888????

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, I will be getting 4 new tires for my SC GEN 1 Viper.

I have currently 11" and 13" Forgelines with 285/35/18's in front and 335/30/18's in rear. I drive "agressively" on curvy roads (when conditions allow), enjoy canyon carving and will participate at track days, such as Pocono in PA. I will not be doing any X-cross parkinglot stuff. I will not be doing any drag racing, but will do some inspirational "testing" with other cars or bikes from a roll...:D

Main focus is still excellent lateral grip, reasonable tire wear if possible (5000 miles or 1 summer per set is OK). My options right now seem to be :

Michelin Pilot PS 2

mi_pilot_sport_ps2_ci2_l.jpg

Toyo Proxy R888
(which you could get even in 295's for front...)
r888_lo.jpg

Kumho Ecsta V700
ku_ecsta_v700_ci2_l.jpg

All tirekickers, Give me a good advise! :2tu:
Specifically WHAT you liked about the tire and WHAT you did not like... I need to get these tires very soon, even here in PA it looks like the spring is finally coming, I saw a streetsweeper already and thats a good sign!

Madduc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been using the Kumho V700 for two years now and love them. Depending on how many smoke shows you do, they will getting 5000 out of the rears is doable. My rears each lasted for the summer(5000) and the fronts still have good tread after approx 10,000 miles but are losing some grip. Call JonB and he will get you a great price on the Kumho's.

99 R/T 10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got a chance to see how soft the compound of the Kumho XSs were. Near the same as the V700s. I thought the V700 were discontinued, but if not, get them. The grip is unreal. :2tu:

GeneralLee

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have the PS2 and love them. Excellent grip on the street, probably not as much as the Kuhmos, but I have pulled a 1.7 60' at the strip with them. :D Plus, they work awesome in the rain if you do happen to get stuck in it somewhere. Also, I prolly have about 15000K miles on them, and the fronts are almost like new still, and the rears prolly have about 5k left on them if i can keep the burnout to a minimum....;)

Down side....price. They are the most expensive tire option I think.

PhoenixGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently went from a mismatched set-up with Kumho MX up front and V700 out back to Toyo R888 all around. The V700 were awesome in the early days, but even though they had lots of tread they progressively got harder and harder and finally were as non-grippy as the old Pilots I used to have. Plus mis-matched compound is not preferable. Given the lack of a correct sized front in V700 and the ugly V700 tire-to-wheel interface I went with the Toyos. Love them so far. I'd say straight line traction is the same or slightly better than the V700s when they were fresh plus they look better.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
LV

The V-700 are a steal at under $1075/set. 305+335
The PS2 are high-tech, last longest, spendy at $500 MORE! 275+335
The R888 are **** LOOKING but could be almost as spendy as PS2. I dont see a 295 you mention

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I got a chance to see how soft the compound of the Kumho XSs were. Near the same as the V700s. I thought the V700 were discontinued, but if not, get them. The grip is unreal. :2tu:

XS are a great choice for SRT10 OE sizes, or 17" sets 92-98 OE sizes..
The XS is not avail in 18" rear sizes.....

And the V-700 was discontinued in 17" rear only. (but we still have 2 x 17" sets V700)
We do have V-700 in 18" sets, under $1075/set VCA.

Kmrumedy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was in same boat this month. I looked at Kumho and PS2. Researched the many threads on this site on the subject. Both are excellent tire choices. For me, the PS2 suits my driving style better and even though PS2 are more expensive upfront they seem to last 2 to 3 times longer depending on your driving. Which for me makes them much cheaper in the long run. Kumho also had some ongoing comments on picking up more rocks than PS2.

My local dealer got them for me installed and aligned for $1450 US. I get them next week....can't wait!

Jon B was very good in helping me decide. If I was based in US I would have gotten the tires from him.

Reaction score
On my way home from The Western Rendezvous in Vegas, I encountered some pretty hard rain for about 100 miles. The V700s on my rears (pretty worn though) hydroplaned all over the place so I moved to the slow lane (SUVs blowing by me as I skated around). Crossing every brdige was an experience in itself.

It's easy to say you can avoid rain or stay home, but getting caught in it for a couple hours is not something I wish to repeat.

Now that there doesn't seem to be a good combo for 18"ers for a GTS from Kumho, Jon B sold me a set of PS2s. They look and wear way better than the V700s.

It's a little sacrifice for stop light launches, but I'm pleased. I guess I'm getting older :rolleyes:

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
......It's easy to say you can avoid rain or stay home, but getting caught in it for a couple hours is not something I wish to repeat.

Now that there doesn't seem to be a good combo for 18"ers for a GTS from Kumho, Jon B sold me a set of PS2s. They look and wear way better than the V700s.

It's a little sacrifice for stop light launches, but I'm pleased. I guess I'm getting older :rolleyes:

Hi Greg ! You will be happy to know that my last 2 track days were deluge-wet, and my PS-2 were leaving awesome rooster tails at 120-130mph..... stable, great watershed...... a Caddy CTS-V hydroplaned and walled all 4 corners twice each, but my SRT-C was flat-steady, and un-scary.

PS 2 in wet is VERY confidence-inspiring, as Canada TED also found

that said, we DO have a 305+335 x 18 Kumho V-700 set under $1075

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i drove on my PS2's in the rain and snow thru maryland and virginia 2 weeks ago with NO problem at all. never felt like it wasnt safe. then the next day in florida, they sure seemed sticky enough to pounce in a few roll'ons.... :)

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Keep the opinions coming....

Thanks also for JonB's e-mail, Kumho's definately have attractive pricesticker from you.
Kumho and Michelin is a coin toss, one gives better grip (for a shorter time and life) one gives excellent all around tire for longer time. For me that equals same price at the end.

I DONT drive in rain, nor do I get stuck in rain, ever. So how the tire works in rain is not important to me. If it was my choise, I would take Hoosier slicks. But the local cops have no sense of humor...

I am still looking some opinions of the Toyo.

Red Snake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am running a pair of Toyo R888s on the rear of my GTS. They stick great on the street and are excellent in the twisties. My only complaint with the tire is that they have a low profile look on the rim. Here's a photo of my car, which is slammed on Eibachs and spring caps. With the 335/30/18 R888s I still have a sizable gap between the tire and fender.

Overall I am pleased with the performance, just not 100% on the looks.

VCA_Cruise_006.JPG

OP
OP
R

RedEnuf93

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK, thanks guys for your feedback and JonB for helping me with this one.

I bought today the KUMHO V700's from JonB.

...and this time the Ferrari's are REALLY gonna get it at Pocono's...:lmao:

433.jpg

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thank YOU LV. You have tracking numbers, and you'll have em before the weekend.

OK, thanks guys for your feedback and JonB for helping me with this one.

I bought today the KUMHO V700's from JonB.

...and this time the Ferrari's are REALLY gonna get it at Pocono's...:lmao:

433.jpg

Schulmann

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have both the Kumho (on ssr rims) and PS2 (street rims).

If you want to use the tires for canon carving the Kuhmos are an outstanding choice. Kumho is the way to go for amateur lapping. It heats up very quickly to the right temperature and it can also run on a wider range of temperature (Than Hoosier). They last many miles and the rubber seems to resist time (This will be the 3rd season of my Kumhos). The price might make you think that they are lower quality but they are 10/10 for amateurs. They are easily previsible, last many lapping sessions and miles on road. They are good on lightly wet pavement. They run very well on street as long as you heat them up. I don't know how well they resists road hasards but likely they are easier to burst.

PS2 is a versatile high tech sport tire from the futur. It is light years ahead of the old Pilot sports. They run very well on bad road (like we have many of them in Quebec). Elliminating 70% of the road steer is one of its best features. On track they perform much better than the run flats. On wet payement they have a previsible behaviour. This tire is the way to go for 90% of Viper owners.

And finally we have the Hoosiers for real racers. They are good to improve lapping time but they will increase "impact risk" :). The problem with Hoosier is not only the rain but they will burst on the first "road hasard". So when you drive them on the street watch out for holes and small rocks.

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
They don't compare when new. The V700's are almost slicks.

ALMOST SLICKS? .....the V-700 is a fully-treaded street-legal tire, of a sticky compound that is track-ready:
ku_ecsta_v700_ci2_l.jpg

The V-710 is the Kumho tire you are thinking of......almost a slick.

SCHULMANN wrote a very good synopsis-comparison above...

Last edited:

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, I guess I'm gonna have to try the V700's. Seems like the only negative is the high-speed wet issue. I don't drive high speed in the rain anyway (actually, I only drive in rain when Chad does:drive:)
Called JonB yesterday, got a price, he informed me that the price went up Monday, but still honored his quote. Should have them on in plenty of time for the TAIL OF THE DRAGON event MAY 29-30....

http://forums.viperclub.org/vca-viper-events-gatherings/623309-al-tn-ga-tail-dragon.html

:spin::guitar::tz::woot::dj::stooges::rock::pbt: :clap: :drooler: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker::boozer: :boozer: :boozer:

DrumrBoy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My experience is this:

For stick its definitely the Kumhos. For all around performance and driveability its PS2.

I actually take the Hoosiers off at the track if it rains even a little (wuss) and put on the Kumhos. The grip is pretty darn close, not the same but closer to the Hoosiers than to the PS2s.

Two aesthetic considerations if you care about them (I don't but thought I'd post because I didn't see it said in the string - apologies if I missed it)

(1) The kumhos look incredibly dorky at the rim/bead interface. On stock rims it looks like the wheel and tire are about 1/4 inch mismatched.

(2) If you drive on unclean roads (sand, pebbles, random dirt) the Kumhos will sanblast the front of the sill and the rear quarters.

all that said, I'd go with the Kumhos.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Kumhos are the way to go for you.

PS2's are OK for most.

My .02 cents.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why are you going out of your way to try to move business away from PartsRack? Funny way for the wife of the VCA President to treat one of the strongest and most reliable VCA supporters.

Maybe for every thread about the VCA raffle someone should make a post about other possible raffles. Or posts about joning the VCA with a post about other car clubs you can join. I do not condone those, nor your obvious intent with such a post.

V

Venomiss

Why are you going out of your way to try to move business away from PartsRack? Funny way for the wife of the VCA President to treat one of the strongest and most reliable VCA supporters.

Maybe for every thread about the VCA raffle someone should make a post about other possible raffles. Or posts about joning the VCA with a post about other car clubs you can join. I do not condone those, nor your obvious intent with such a post.

This is to support all the sponsoring vendors and not just one from an old thread before the supplier section was made for just this very purpose. Sorry you see it that way.;)

If you don't want to support the raffle or having members join that's entirely up to you.
I do support it and know how important it is to the VCA.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is to support all the sponsoring vendors and not just one from an old thread before the supplier section was made for just this very purpose. Sorry you see it that way.;)

If you don't want to support the raffle or having members join that's entirely up to you.
I do support it and know how important it is to the VCA.
Who the hell said I did or did not support the raffle or the VCA. Uncalled for to make it a personal attack back to me. I was trying to show how deflecting a thread to a specific alternative is showing bias. Guess the blind cannot tell their own bias.

And just to be clear this is not an old thread!

V

Venomiss

Who the hell said I did or did not support the raffle or the VCA. Uncalled for to make it a personal attack back to me. I was trying to show how deflecting a thread to a specific alternative is showing bias. Guess the blind cannot tell their own bias.

And just to be clear this is not an old thread!

No personal attack what so ever towards you. I can have my own opinion and so can you.
Let's keep this thread on track as it's about tires and not your opinion of me.
My bad, as I thought this was a older thread (it was posted before they created the new dedicated Vipers & Vendors Forum). :)

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:cop: OK, settle down folks...no need for the accusations. Be it Parts Rack, Tire Rack or Tire Option...they are sponsors of this site. Nothing wrong with letting members know we have great sponsors and we have great options. Let's quit with the accusations and stay on topic please.

kwiksilver

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What GR8 is saying is and has been true for some time, hell Stevie Wonder could see that. Also why was this "old Thread" left in the other area until it got a little heated???? Now it will probably just make out like the WMD,s in Iraq and vanish:rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper