Kumho's?????

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Kumho's or PS2s on 97 GTS....the price difference is stupid! Half the money. anybody gor an opinion???

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're speaking of the 17" size XS right? The price is ridiculous compared to the PS2's. One of our local members bought two sets of XS's for his 17" wheels. It's a shame that Kumho doesn't make the XS in 18" rears for GenII.

TAILWAG

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kumhos if you need the grip for the track(1/4 mile or autocross), otherwise if it is just for street driving, PS2s.

WHAT? The xs is NOT any grippier than PS2's. Why would you use that for the track?

The question is, does it justify double the price? In my opinion, no.

got one

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Things to consider:
1. Treadlife (how many miles can you get out of a set) I got close to 17k out of my last set of PS1's WITH 2 mild track weekends.
2. The condition of your sidesills and rear fascia

Take these into account and it could very well explain why they are less...more so #1 ;)

OP
OP
S

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Things to consider:
1. Treadlife (how many miles can you get out of a set) I got close to 17k out of my last set of PS1's WITH 2 mild track weekends.
2. The condition of your sidesills and rear fascia

Take these into account and it could very well explain why they are less...more so #1 ;)
Sidesills and rear facia?? help me with that one?

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sidesills and rear facia?? help me with that one?

The paint on sidesills and fenderwells and rear quarters/under fascia get sandblasted. Why? The sticky rubber picks up sand/gravel/dust and they slowly sand blast and erode the paint.

The extra traction is worth it to many, and some folks add clear-bra type protection.

We have Kumho V700, and XS, and PS2. The PS2 probably costs the same $ per mile, but the initial outlay is about 45% less for Kumho

Last edited:

bdelass

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A happy Kuhmo owner here on my 1997 GTS. They do seem to sling up some road dirt, but nothing that you can't live with. I really don't autocross or drag race the car though, so the tires meet my needs for a sunny day driver with the occasional spirited run through the gears for what it's worth.

SA HEAT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just wrestled with the same decision and went with the PS2s on the stock wheels of my '97 GTS. Another thing to consider is that the Kumhos start off with 8/32" of tread while the Michelins have 10/32".

QUICK SILVER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Kuhmos the grip is insane.The ride is like being in a Lexus,very quiet also. You will not go wrong. I have no complaints at all.

OP
OP
S

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ordered the kumho's, I will report in a few days.
Thanks for the feed back gentlmen. I guess I'll have to use up whats left on it now however........:burnout:

Steve

Brake Dust

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love my Kuhmos the grip is insane.The ride is like being in a Lexus,very quiet also. You will not go wrong. I have no complaints at all.:headbang:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
which is the tire that doesnt look like it fits on the rim then ?

it tapers IN leaving the lip exposed a lot

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think it's the V700 on 18" OEM's. I'll find out in a few days when I get a chance to put mine on (will post pics too). The sidewall is more "squared off" than curved, but the treadwidth is the same. Gonna "break 'em in" on the Dragon in 2 weeks:2tu:

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running XS' now and was running V700's before.

I put 16k miles on the V700's before i got a flat and ruined the sidewall on one of 'em.

The new XS' are great and I wouldn't buy anything else.

RoadiJeff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The paint on sidesills and fenderwells and rear quarters/under fascia get sandblasted. Why? The sticky rubber picks up sand/gravel/dust and they slowly sand blast and erode the paint.

I hadn't considered the sandblasting effect when trying to decide between the cheaper Kuhmo's and PS2's. For a few hundred dollars difference I am absolutely going with the Michelins now. The finish on my car is in pristine condition and I intend to keep it that way.

Now to find the best delivered price on a set of PS2's, factory OEM 1999 stock size.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I hadn't considered the sandblasting effect when trying to decide between the cheaper Kuhmo's and PS2's. For a few hundred dollars difference I am absolutely going with the Michelins now. The finish on my car is in pristine condition and I intend to keep it that way.

Now to find the best delivered price on a set of PS2's, factory OEM 1999 stock size.

I think I can help with that! [email protected]

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Guys I think anyone posting on the sandblasting issue is swine fluing it. I will say I have had mine for less than 1k miles and may not be an accurate gauge but I'm having no more issues than I had with my PS2s.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Got my 2 rears mounted today. Here's a pic of the lip. And one compared to the PS. Inside lip "sticks out" more.

You must be registered for see images attach

This one doesn't seem to stick out as much :dunno::confused::confused::dunno:

the two side by side:

Inside lip...