Here's a few pics of the fronts

You must be registered for see images attach

Probably the most difficult combo I've ever mounted. :crazy2:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THATS what i was thinking.... doesnt look as bad on this wheel for some reason. in my head they looked worse.

the PS2 really does fit best though....

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That looks like the V700 tire. Any pics of the XS mounted on stock wheels?

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
If somebody posts pics of XS's, it'll have to be in 17". That's why I went with V700s. I just got back from a road "test":2tu::headbang:, and they are all everyone says about the grip, gravels, etc. We'll see how they do in 12 days on THE DRAGON :headbang::headbang::headbang:
LET'S ROCK !!!!

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's some pics of the XS on stock 17" rear wheels:

100_1706.JPG

100_1707.JPG

100_1708.JPG

100_1709.JPG

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Guys I think anyone posting on the sandblasting issue is swine fluing it. I will say I have had mine for less than 1k miles and may not be an accurate gauge but I'm having no more issues than I had with my PS2s.

I would be too embarassed to post photos of my leading-edges of sills and quarter panels after 52,000 miles of BFG-R1, and Kumhos. Down to the bare aluminum or primer. Swine flu musta caused it!

Yeah, 1000 miles is not an accurate guage........

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would be too embarassed to post photos of my leading-edges of sills and quarter panels after 52,000 miles of BFG-R1, and Kumhos. Down to the bare aluminum or primer. Swine flu musta caused it!

Agreed! The leading edge of my sills leave a lot to be desired on the looks side... Time for a repaint! :crazy2:

SWEET:

If you added some Eibachs and/or Spring caps that would be an even SWEETER Ride!

All in due time my friend. Gotta find the right wheels first... :D

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My point exactly, I'm saying that it will happen over time regardless. My statement should have been directed at the ecsta XS. With 52k miles I have to believe that any tire after 52k would leave a sill looking pretty rough. Regardless, as the naysayers have already pointed out you will have gone through 10 pairs in that many miles. How would a 52k mile side sill look if PS were run the entire time? I wont have a chance to test this as I have a set of Invos waiting for my 19/20 iForged setup and will be throwing my Kumhos and stock wheels in the classifieds for the cost of the tires.

Jon not giving pointers as I'm sure you have tried most things to counter this but for those that haven't tried this aircraft speed tape or erosion tape is what I'm currently playing with. A 4 inch wide roll can be purchased from most aircraft supply stores or if you have a family member who works for an airline well I wont talk about that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My cars has 25 k of PS2 miles and the sill are blasted, so if it means more grip.....I'll take it. Given what they look like know and only 25 k on the car, they will have to be refinised eventually. Maybe we could put mud flaps on them........ahhh NOPE. It is the nature of the beast!

Jon not giving pointers as I'm sure you have tried most things to counter this but for those that haven't tried this aircraft speed tape or erosion tape is what I'm currently playing with. A 4 inch wide roll can be purchased from most aircraft supply stores or if you have a family member who works for an airline well I wont talk about that.

How is that tape wit the heat, I thought of this but those sill get so hot???

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
FWIW, I had my PS2's installed last week and they pick up everything on the road. But I don't care because I'd rather have the grip. Sills can be repainted and/or protected. I think this may be the erosion tape folks are talking about 3M POLYURETHANE PROTECTIVE TAPE 8674 from Aircraft Spruce 3M has several different types available. My concern would be what it would do to the paint on the side sills given the heat there. I think this tape can withstand temps up to 275 degrees which should be MORE than enough.

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sills can be repainted and/or protected.

Call me crazy (I'm sure most of you will) but I have considered having the ends and bottoms of my side sills and the bottom of my front bumper cover sprayed in body color bedliner. :omg: While the finish would be somewhat rough, it would only really be visible on the ends of the sills.

If you look at most new vehicles these days you can see an "orange peel" finish on the bottom couple of inches of the body panels. As I understand it, this is usually an anti-corrosion coating but I have been told that it is also for paint duarbility purposes.

If the bedliner can be properly color matched I don't see what the downside would be other than a slight weight addition. :dunno:

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tape pointed out is the correct tape. When I was a teenager I did A&P work for my grandfather who signed off on it. I recall using this tape on the leading edge of wings and wooden props. On the props the intention was to prevent them from getting torn up if they picked up trash from a runway. I asked a family member who is an A&P for one of the airlines about it and he said he would see what he could do. I mainly wanted to use it on the lower lip of my fascia. When I had my sills painted the removed the tape from the front edge of the sills and I hadn't replaced it, mainly due to the cost of the OEM pieces. I used speed tape to tape this portion off as well as a few others but haven't put enough miles on the car to make a difference at this point. Removal is similar to any other adhesive tape, I have used a few store bought adhesive removers. I planned on doing a right up on the stuff when I had a chance, newborn has prevented me from playing with the car lately.

Chris

OP
OP
S

sweet gts

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just got home from the shop, love the new Kuhmo's! To early to really tell but seem to have better grip, much nicier ride. Seems to handle the bumps much better. As far as looks, not much diff than the Mich. Did have a hard time Bal. the rears, was unable to do it at my shop and had to go to 3 others before I ended up at Sears in Natick. All said and done I very happy with the Kuhmo's!:)

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just got home from the shop, love the new Kuhmo's! To early to really tell but seem to have better grip, much nicier ride. Seems to handle the bumps much better. As far as looks, not much diff than the Mich. Did have a hard time Bal. the rears, was unable to do it at my shop and had to go to 3 others before I ended up at Sears in Natick. All said and done I very happy with the Kuhmo's!:)

What was the balancing issue on the rears? Just curious. :dunno:

HI-NOS-Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Regardless the XS's ARE a stickier tire. 180 tread wear compared to PS2's of 220? They will cause the side sills to chip a LITTLE more but not much noticeable compared to the PS2's. Its physics. The more you debris you fling the more will hit the car period. Its all about what you want to use the tire for and the price you want to pay. Either one you cant go wrong.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The offset of the rears, they are so deep they wouldn't fit on any of the machines.

That's what I thought. It can get kinda tricky getting the mounting cones "just right"-Thanks

Regardless the XS's ARE a stickier tire. 180 tread wear compared to PS2's of 220? They will cause the side sills to chip a LITTLE more but not much noticeable compared to the PS2's. Its physics. The more you debris you fling the more will hit the car period. Its all about what you want to use the tire for and the price you want to pay. Either one you cant go wrong.

Treadwear on the V700's is 50!:drive:

JBW1997

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread here. It has been almost a year. I am getting ready to replace my tires. Since I have the 17" wheels, apparently I only have two choices, Kumhos or PS2's. Anyone have anything to add since the last post. I am leaning towards the Kumhos.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reviving an old thread here. It has been almost a year. I am getting ready to replace my tires. Since I have the 17" wheels, apparently I only have two choices, Kumhos or PS2's. Anyone have anything to add since the last post. I am leaning towards the Kumhos.

If you drive in rain much, the PS's are going to be better choice (esp if 100 mph+). If fair weather, then I'd go with the XS's.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, for a street only tire what would you go with in the Kuhmo's ..V700 or XS?? Stock size on a 2005.

Definitely the XS's. V700 is more a auto-x, street/track tire. I tried the V700 because of price and grip :2tu: and the fact that the XS's didn't come in the 18"

Sweet Ride

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, for a street only tire what would you go with in the Kuhmo's ..V700 or XS?? Stock size on a 2005.

Good luck finding them in those sizes. Last I heard was that Kumho was discontinuing the XS rear 19" size. I called a local vendor last week (I'm in the market as well) and they quoted me $450/ea for the rears and he wasn't sure he could even get them.

For the money and for something in that size, I have heard the Nitto Invo's are a comprable tire.

uvbnbit

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any price under $500 installed for those rears would be a good price I think. I didn't realize the 19" were so much more than the 17"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth