Lap timer.....

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone used the G-Tech lap timer?
And if so, how do you like it?
I was looking at the Traqmate stuff, as it seems a little more full blast. But so is the cost.

The G-Tech is way less money, and doesn't look like it *****.
One of my track buddies uses one and likes it, but he is a Corvette dude.

I don't have an I-phone or I would be using 'Harry's Lap Timer' on that.
I can buy the G-Tech for less than an I-phone.
But it won't call or text though.

:dunno:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an old G-Tech, and a couple of other used lap timers, if you are interested. No reas offer refused. Timers that require a beacon are a bit of a hassle because you have to remember to pick up your beacon at the end of the day! I finally went with a GPS unit. A little more money but you don't have to keep buying new beacons.

OP
OP
A

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The new G-Tech doesn't use a beacon and is a 10hz GPS unit.
Their website store has them priced at 299.

This unit is almost the same data as the 1500 dollar Traqmate lap timer.

The Traqmate is far better in the fact that it collects more data and whatever, but I am just looking for an automatic GPS stopwatch, I think I am sold on the new G-Tech unless somebody has used it and had a lot of problems with it.

I do appreciate your offer of 'hand me down stuff' though.

FOViper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the AIM solo's if you don't want a full system like a Traqmate or Racekeeper setup

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running the full Traqmate Traqdash system in the race car, and all of the info and split times you can get from it are crazy. I'm still trying to learn how use all of it, but it made the dash so much cleaner without having to have all of the gauges installed in it. The only thing that sucked (which I should have thought about before anyway) was that after spending all the money on the Traqmate system, I still had to get ripped off by AMB for one of their transponders to be "officially" timed at the track.
In the Viper, I use the Harrys Lap Timer app on my iphone, and it works really well (within a tenth of actual time) and still gives you a lot useful info. Plus it's under $20.
Depending on cell coverage at your local tracks, you might need to get a mount that boosts the GPS signal, but I never bothered. Every now and then it would lose the signal and I might end up with 2 laps combined as 1, but overall, it's a hell of a price for the info and accuracy you get.

OP
OP
A

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm running the full Traqmate Traqdash system in the race car, and all of the info and split times you can get from it are crazy. I'm still trying to learn how use all of it, but it made the dash so much cleaner without having to have all of the gauges installed in it. The only thing that sucked (which I should have thought about before anyway) was that after spending all the money on the Traqmate system, I still had to get ripped off by AMB for one of their transponders to be "officially" timed at the track.
In the Viper, I use the Harrys Lap Timer app on my iphone, and it works really well (within a tenth of actual time) and still gives you a lot useful info. Plus it's under $20.
Depending on cell coverage at your local tracks, you might need to get a mount that boosts the GPS signal, but I never bothered. Every now and then it would lose the signal and I might end up with 2 laps combined as 1, but overall, it's a hell of a price for the info and accuracy you get.
Yeah, I think the Traqmate is probably the best system out there now for us non-pro guys. More information than any of us need or know what to do with. I don't want to turn my HPDE fun into computer-geek sessions. Just want to be able to keep tabs on myself as I learn and improve as a driver.

I thought the Harry's Lap Timer app was free on the I-phone.............One of my other track buddies uses that. (he is a Lotus guy)
I am not gonna buy a 700 dollar phone when I can get a 299 dollar GPS timer that has a higher sampling rate.

.....Not looking for the best unit on the market today, but the best one for the money.

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the latest G-Tech for track days and am pleased with what it does for the cost. There is pc software free for download on their site that you can replay your laps. It shows the track and your location on it along with segment split times(if you set them), speed, lateral and longitudinal g-force. you can over lay multiple laps to see how they compare.

OP
OP
A

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I use the latest G-Tech for track days and am pleased with what it does for the cost. There is pc software free for download on their site that you can replay your laps. It shows the track and your location on it along with segment split times(if you set them), speed, lateral and longitudinal g-force. you can over lay multiple laps to see how they compare.
Thanks.
How well does the PC analysis deal work?
I've talked with guys that use that stuff from the Traqmate, and they say it's awesome.
-I just ain't gonna spend 1500 bucks for that. :crazy2:
If the G-Tech does almost the same thing, I'll do that instead. :)

Mad Max

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it works rather well. If you want go download the software and I can email a couple of my files if you want to play around with it before you buy the gtech.

OP
OP
A

Allan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That is awesome, and I appreciate it very much. :)

But I think I'll just get one and go bust some laps. :drive:

If it's working like that for you, without a bunch of headaches, I think the new G-Tech is what I'm looking for.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thiagets