LE #003 With Carbon Fiber Exterior Package

Solid Red 98

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting that this Launch Edition viper has been built with the carbon fiber exterior package. This is the first production example I've seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is really sad. It shows that the owning dealership showed class and care for the product before selling it. I wonder how classy they will be after the sale?

Seems like a $25k fee didn't solve anything....

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy a car like this new with miles on it. Once we're talking $100K plus my willingness to accept such compromises pretty much disappears.

vipernut

VCA International Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score
Saw the link for the LE with Carbon Fibre Exterior on OFAS (our favourite auction site)....nice to see that that option is now (?!) available! I wonder if that means having it on your order (now) won't hold up its production as was previously stated?!?!

An interesting side note..I did a search for completed auctions on OFAS for 2013 VIPER and found that as far back as I can see (14 auctions)..none have actually sold. There was some lacklustre bidding! but either the prices were too high (people usually want a bargain on auctions) or people are leery about buying a huge product (like this) from an auction site!!

QUICKSRT10/SRT8

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw the car at the factory before they changed the parts out to the carbon fiber. I was actually looking to possibly buy #03 but there out of there mind $160,000 and it has miles on it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 164
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 139

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Dodge sorry SRT should rethink there pricing. My opinion on the car is its a Gen 4.5 with Ram/Dart parts for a interior and a new carbon fiber extiorior with huge body panel gaps. 200 GTS LE out there and I wonder how many of them sold?. I told my wife I was going to buy a 13 Viper and she said at least look at it before you buy it. So I went to see the car in New York and the car never jumped out at me. I did like the side and rear but not the front. I told her I would buy her a SUV and me a new Dodge truck sorry Ram for 13 and wait until 14 for a new car. So at the end of the day I will keep my 04 Mamba.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think Dodge sorry SRT should rethink there pricing. My opinion on the car is its a Gen 4.5 with Ram/Dart parts for a interior and a new carbon fiber extiorior with huge body panel gaps. 200 GTS LE out there and I wonder how many of them sold?. I told my wife I was going to buy a 13 Viper and she said at least look at it before you buy it. So I went to see the car in New York and the car never jumped out at me. I did like the side and rear but not the front. I told her I would buy her a SUV and me a new Dodge truck sorry Ram for 13 and wait until 14 for a new car. So at the end of the day I will keep my 04 Mamba.

You really should educate yourself before coming to such conclusions. Here's what I suggest: Go to a dealer, sit in a Dart and a Ram. Then sit in the new Viper. Compare. Then go out and buy the May Road & Track and read the comparo between the SLS and the Gen V. Ask yourself if the $231,000 AMG Mercedes beat the loaded $142,000 Viper in any category, or if the Viper pretty much bested the AMG flagship super car that costs significantly more. Then look up the Laguna Seca production car record. Then go to a Ferrari dealer and sit in a 458. Then jump in your 04 and compare to all of them. Then come back and see if you've changed your mind. If not, please don't bother buying a 14 or any other future year Viper.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course there is some carry over in parts. The steering wheel is sort of the same in other SRT products. The gauge cluster has shared elements, and so does the infotainment system. But, you really can't expect those big budget items to be built custom for the Viper.

But, beyond that - there is nothing in common with the RAM or Dart. I test drove a Ram 3500 last year and it wasn't all that impressive inside.

Finally sitting in a 2013 Viper (Both a GTS and SRT), I don't really see how you could compare them to anything else offered by dodge. IMO, the interior is superior to almost anything I've ever driven or been in. It really is just beautiful and refined inside. IMO it is getting up there to the "Ferrari" level (though I don't think it is there). It runs right over what I've seen from BMW and Mercedes.

As far as price, lets not forget that though 2008 isn't that long ago, $95k today is the equivalent of $89k in 2008. So, going from the SRT10 to the base SRT now, you see an increase of $5k. It is a bit disingenuous to compare a fully optioned vehicle to the previous generations. To boot, the only real mechanical differences in the SRT and GTS are the shocks, the rest is window dressing.

But, I do agree mechanically this is more of a .5 iteration of the Gen IV, but interior wise it is absolutely a new generation.

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You really should educate yourself before coming to such conclusions. Here's what I suggest: Go to a dealer, sit in a Dart and a Ram. Then sit in the new Viper. Compare. Then go out and buy the May Road & Track and read the comparo between the SLS and the Gen V. Ask yourself if the $231,000 AMG Mercedes beat the loaded $142,000 Viper in any category, or if the Viper pretty much bested the AMG flagship super car that costs significantly more. Then look up the Laguna Seca production car record. Then go to a Ferrari dealer and sit in a 458. Then jump in your 04 and compare to all of them. Then come back and see if you've changed your mind. If not, please don't bother buying a 14 or any other future year Viper.

Went to see the car in New York. Went to see the car at Petit Le mans and got to sit in the car and talk with Ralph. Seats were horrible and Ralph agreed was told not to move the seat?. I own a 13 Ram longhorn and yes it has the same center stack with the same Nav go look yourself. How about comparing the new Viper with the GTR? Like I said it's my opionion and yours is different then mine. And if you own a 13 look at your rear diff and tell me what you see!!!!

Brian GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've pondered the pricing back and forth and my conclusion is this:

The SRT level is a bargain if compared to the Gen IV. Considering inflation, the price is about the same and the interior has been taken to a new level...not to mention the technology additions.

As for the GTS, I do feel it is slightly overpriced. I'm just not seeing the benefit of an additional 23K for the suspension, leather, sound system, etc. I think the difference should be about 12K at most. And they must have consulted with Porsche when the priced the options!!!

Having said that, the price was tough to digest, and like you Mamba, I'm still not completely sold on the front end, but in the end, I still broke down and ordered a GTS because of my pathetic Viper addiction. I just had to have one. :)

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went to see the car in New York. Went to see the car at Petit Le mans and got to sit in the car and talk with Ralph. Seats were horrible and Ralph agreed was told not to move the seat?. I own a 13 Ram longhorn and yes it has the same center stack with the same Nav go look yourself. How about comparing the new Viper with the GTR? Like I said it's my opionion and yours is different then mine. And if you own a 13 look at your rear diff and tell me what you see!!!!

I have no issues with you having a right your opinion, what I take issue with is a twisting of the facts. I'm sure, since it appears that you have done your research, that you know that the seat you sat in was a prototype. And you also know that Ralph drove a viper 3000 miles in that same prototype seat. And he said it was horrible, and he had the seat changed out to the more comfortable production seat. But I bet you knew all that, and chose to leave it out.

You mentioned navigation. Think about it, is it in advantage to have uniformity of the users interface between vehicles in a product lineup? I need to buy an SUV in about a year, and the Durango is already a strong favorite because it will have the same navigation system and the same Uconnect system that my Viper has. You are really nitpicking if you think it's a disadvantage for an auto manufacturer to use the same screen for an instrument cluster, and a common touchscreen as other cars in the line up. Saying a high-end, full-wrap leather interior is the same as the Dart's or Ram's because they share a part or two is ridiculous.

If you decide you don't like the Gen V, fine. But do so with a fair mind.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there are a few posts highlighting that the Viper pricing isn't "unfair" or over priced, but the options certainly are. I think the SRT base price is a good starting point, but SRT is way out of line on options pricing. I'm sorry, but they just are. I think the fact the LE's aren't selling and dealers keep chiming in that most GTS's have no options on them except for a Trak-Pak proves they are asking too much.

Still a great car and I want one, but I will probably not even consider new. I also have sat in a Gen V with the upgraded interior and comparing it to a Ram or a Dart is a bit dramatic to say the least. SRT really did hit a home run with the interior for me, but they didn't hit a $16,000 home run (and that's before the Laguna Package is added). I came up with that number by removing the upgraded stereo and making a probably high $5k assumption on the upgraded shocks and that's your difference between a SRT and GTS.

VENOM V

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think there are a few posts highlighting that the Viper pricing isn't "unfair" or over priced, but the options certainly are. I think the SRT base price is a good starting point, but SRT is way out of line on options pricing. I'm sorry, but they just are. I think the fact the LE's aren't selling and dealers keep chiming in that most GTS's have no options on them except for a Trak-Pak proves they are asking too much.

Still a great car and I want one, but I will probably not even consider new. I also have sat in a Gen V with the upgraded interior and comparing it to a Ram or a Dart is a bit dramatic to say the least. SRT really did hit a home run with the interior for me, but they didn't hit a $16,000 home run (and that's before the Laguna Package is added). I came up with that number by removing the upgraded stereo and making a probably high $5k assumption on the upgraded shocks and that's your difference between a SRT and GTS.

Agreed on some of the options pricing being high. I have just one option on the GTS, Track Pack. Oh, and a small price hit for a color upgrade :D But I chose not to pay for the Laguna leather. I think the GTS-standard Nappa leather is pretty nice, and I prefer Alcantara seating surfaces that the standard leather has. And the money I saved by forgoeing the Laguna leather paid for an extra seat of wheels and tires for street duty, so I can save the Corsas for the track. The price was a tough pill to swallow, but when you look at what a competitive car in performance and refinement would set you back, I decided it was worth it.

mnc2886

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agreed on some of the options pricing being high. I have just one option on the GTS, Track Pack. Oh, and a small price hit for a color upgrade :D But I chose not to pay for the Laguna leather. I think the GTS-standard Nappa leather is pretty nice, and I prefer Alcantara seating surfaces that the standard leather has. And the money I saved by forgoeing the Laguna leather paid for an extra seat of wheels and tires for street duty, so I can save the Corsas for the track. The price was a tough pill to swallow, but when you look at what a competitive car in performance and refinement would set you back, I decided it was worth it.

I agree on it being great bang for the buck, but the Gen IV ACR will forever be the best bang for the buck deal.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Somewhat agree with you here. The control buttons on the steering wheel of my'13 Dart and the new Viper are exactly the same. I mean, I bet they are the same part number. That being said, that is basically the only similaroty between the two, LOL!

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Venom V I don't want to get into a ******* match. Yes I do know they changed the seat and I have sat in a production car a LE to boot. I still think my 04 Viper seat feels beter to me. But at this point who cares as my buget for cars has expired for (13). The SRT version has a non leather interior. Yours has a leather interior and its nice just like my 13 Ram Longhorn Edition. Did you look at your Diff?

Last edited:

Viper808

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Anyone who wants to know the details of the car before calling the dealer feel free to call me

Bob
954-817-4808

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think the beauty of it is, you can virtually build out a GTS from the base SRT.

I wish they would have had just the one model, the GTS starting at the SRT price and had the Chinese menu of options. There are things in the GTS I wanted that aren't in the SRT. There are wheel options in the GTS I wanted that aren't in the SRT. It should have been the "Ferrari" experience where you can build a car as expensive as you want.

I don't think the option prices are too terribly out of line, lets be fair, this is a limited production vehicle. You are going to pay a premium for any option you want. I do think the CF options are priced a bit high (but then again, look at F car CF option price tags), and you will be able to get them aftermarket for a good bit cheaper.

BigDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Neither are supercars, let's get that out of the way. New Viper is light years ahead of the Gen III/IV but it is nowhere near the fit and finish of the 458, let alone the SLS. On the other hand from what I've heard the Stryker Red is up there with a Ferrari/Lambo paint job. Ferrari's and Mercedes etc. are known for their exceptional fit and finish. The body gaps, the way the doors and openings shut, etc. etc. The Viper is known for its performance. Now it has some of the creature comforts and sports-luxury associated with the more expensive marks. It's no longer a neanderthal. But your recommendation to go sit in an SLS and a 458 will only disprove your point. Let's just focus on the performance for the buck. Yes, I've sat in and ridden in both SLS and 458. FTR, I'd still buy the Viper. The "Viper tax" is peanuts compared to the Ferrari tax.

ViperSmith

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I beg to differ on the paint on a Ferrari. Go browse Ferrari chat and read the plethora of terrible paint stories. $260-300k car you have to send to a specialty shop after you get it to correct Ferraris terrible paint quality. Even for $30,000 paint options on a Ferrari, which is just pure insanity.

PeerBlock

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Their pricing is inline with the market, perhaps even a relative bargain if you consider that the Viper is essentially hand-built and not mass-produced on a production like like its nearest competitor, the ZR-1.

The parts it has that it shares with other Dodge vehicles are not critical parts. It's not like the viper is using a "tweaked" dart chassis; it's using the same nav system. So what?

The SRT team did not have the budget to produce an entirely unique set of parts for the viper and I'm glad they did not try to do so to appease wealthy elitists. They made the viper different where it needs to be, while using "shelf parts" where it could to hit their price target. I'd guess that they also wanted to make maintenance somewhat "reasonable" so people who buy these cars can actually race them and keep them running in top shape without dropping $5K+ to replace common wear items.

Neither are supercars, let's get that out of the way. New Viper is light years ahead of the Gen III/IV but it is nowhere near the fit and finish of the 458, let alone the SLS. On the other hand from what I've heard the Stryker Red is up there with a Ferrari/Lambo paint job. Ferrari's and Mercedes etc. are known for their exceptional fit and finish. The body gaps, the way the doors and openings shut, etc. etc. The Viper is known for its performance. Now it has some of the creature comforts and sports-luxury associated with the more expensive marks. It's no longer a neanderthal. But your recommendation to go sit in an SLS and a 458 will only disprove your point. Let's just focus on the performance for the buck. Yes, I've sat in and ridden in both SLS and 458. FTR, I'd still buy the Viper. The "Viper tax" is peanuts compared to the Ferrari tax.

The Lambo interiors I've seen make a junkyard neon look prestigious. Ferrari? That's eye-talian for "like a woman".

In both instances, enjoy paying for thousands for common replacement parts/maintenance while still being slower than the "non supercar" viper. A fool and his money...I don't think anyone would expect a viper to be as cushy as a Mercedes but the SLS is no "supercar" in my mind. It being more comfortable or having more padding to muffle the sound of closing doors do not elevate it out of the "high end luxury" category to "supercar"...and the viper was never trying to be a "high end lux" car before being a raw performance machine.

A supercar is one that the average joe will see driving buy and stop to stare, take pics, etc. Nobody is going to notice you in an SLS; your chances are better if you're in a ferrari. A supercar is the total package - especially the distinctive outward appearance, high price/limited production (so you don't see them often) and more importantly race-car like performance.

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their pricing is inline with the market, perhaps even a relative bargain if you consider that the Viper is essentially hand-built and not mass-produced on a production like like its nearest competitor, the ZR-1.

The parts it has that it shares with other Dodge vehicles are not critical parts. It's not like the viper is using a "tweaked" dart chassis; it's using the same nav system. So what?

The SRT team did not have the budget to produce an entirely unique set of parts for the viper and I'm glad they did not try to do so to appease wealthy elitists. They made the viper different where it needs to be, while using "shelf parts" where it could to hit their price target. I'd guess that they also wanted to make maintenance somewhat "reasonable" so people who buy these cars can actually race them and keep them running in top shape without dropping $5K+ to replace common wear items.

The Lambo interiors I've seen make a junkyard neon look prestigious. Ferrari? That's eye-talian for "like a woman".

In both instances, enjoy paying for thousands for common replacement parts/maintenance while still being slower than the "non supercar" viper. A fool and his money...I don't think anyone would expect a viper to be as cushy as a Mercedes but the SLS is no "supercar" in my mind. It being more comfortable or having more padding to muffle the sound of closing doors do not elevate it out of the "high end luxury" category to "supercar"...and the viper was never trying to be a "high end lux" car before being a raw performance machine.

A supercar is one that the average joe will see driving buy and stop to stare, take pics, etc. Nobody is going to notice you in an SLS; your chances are better if you're in a ferrari. A supercar is the total package - especially the distinctive outward appearance, high price/limited production (so you don't see them often) and more importantly race-car like performance.

And who are you? 12 posts joined in 2013 get back to us when you have owned a Viper for a couple of years.

TowDawg

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Saw the car at the factory before they changed the parts out to the carbon fiber. I was actually looking to possibly buy #03 but there out of there mind $160,000 and it has miles on it

I'm usually the last one to be a grammer cop, but damn. I don't think I've ever seen someone use "there" incorrectly twice (for two different meanings) with only two words between them. ;)

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score

About two years ago, our spies began catching some interesting Mercedes test cars driving around in the desert. Half Viper, half AMG, back then the car was thought to be called SLC.

Now, after many subsequent sightings, we have official photos of the 2011 SLS AMG and people have long since forgotten about the Viper-based mules on which it was developed. While we doubt the finished product shares much more than a memory with its former corporate cousin, it’s hard to deny the Gullwing’s Viper-esque proportions—likely the reason the Viper was used to hide its identity in the first place.

Check out the overlay we made of the two cars. Aside from obvious changes, there are many significant similarities. Notice how the Viper’s fender vent blends right into the SLS door crease.

Next!!!

birth-dodge-viper-and-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-gullwing/

Last edited:

Mamba52

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG is one of the top sports cars in the world. This world renowned, top caliber car that offers a maximum 563hp with functional gullwing doors is truly a representation of great German engineering. Though based on Iniside Line, their sources confirmed that the SLS AMG was actually designed to be the next-generation Dodge Viper.
Based on the information, while the Dodge engineers were in the process of designing the next-generation Viper, having already finished the aluminum chassis and completing the new suspension. Mercedes received news of their developments and reached a decision that the chassis would be the precise starting point for their forthcoming SLS. Apparently, Mercedes paired up with Chrysler for the project until Chrysler’s fund ran short, causing the Dodge team to concentrate its resources somewhere else. The conclusion was a brand-new SLS for Mercedes and a temporary halt in Dodge’s Viper lineup. Additionally, Inside Line supported their claims about the Viper turned SLS through spy photos of the early SLS prototypes having fitted with poorly assembled Viper sheet metal.
Though Mercedes owned Chrysler at the time, it’s hard to criticize the German carmaker for making use of existing engineering work for bringing the SLS to market at a lesser expense. Viper enthusiasts are still hoping that Dodge would finally feature the Viper aluminum chassis in their 2012 release.
Tagged with: Dodge Viper, SLS AMG

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who cares if the Viper looks like an SLS. The SLS looks like crap, just as the SLR. MB has no understanding of beautiful proportions. I would not be bragging about MB for build quality. That is extremely laughable. MB electronics are a nightmare and that is coming from SL65 owners I know.

The new Viper is great for what it is. Everyone can have an opinion, but mine is if you don't like he Gen V interior, you will never be happy with any vehicle.

Many new and potential new owners here with only a few posts. Just cause someone as a few hundred posts, makes them a Viper expert o tell everyone who has a few to come back in a few years. That is laughable as well. The negativity on this board is out of control.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth