LED Replacement Lighting Thread

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Now THAT is a good idea! I'd have to get a used set of fogs to mess with. I think the blacked out housing would look great with the small projector. I like it.

As for the SMEs, it may have worked. The original bulbs - they are oval tall bulbs that stick up into recesses in the light guide. The SME wouldn't do that, so not sure if they would get enough 'side light' into the guide to make for even light. Who knows - maybe someone will try it!

BUT - you would still need a resistor mounted inline somehow, so not sure how that would work??

Why would you need a resistor inline? You can get the appropriate voltage SMEs to replace your factory ones. Originally when they started doing the Scion dash swap, they use to install resistors. Now they install the proper SME so the light output is the same. (The center consoles of them does come with a resistor pack, might be a similar need for the new gen Vipers, I'm not sure).

I'm wondering how well those V3 bulbs will work with Gen 2's since our lighting harness is outside the rear trunk of the car (where to put those ignitors)

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why would you need a resistor inline? You can get the appropriate voltage SMEs to replace your factory ones. Originally when they started doing the Scion dash swap, they use to install resistors. Now they install the proper SME so the light output is the same. (The center consoles of them does come with a resistor pack, might be a similar need for the new gen Vipers, I'm not sure).

I'm wondering how well those V3 bulbs will work with Gen 2's since our lighting harness is outside the rear trunk of the car (where to put those ignitors)

Because the original bulbs are not LED, they were incandescent. So to put in component LEDs, you need the proper sized resistor to get the correct voltage, which is 3.3V, and to limit current. This is in the radio, not the Viper itself. Maybe the SMEs have built in resistors? I didn't see that.

The V3s have just a small control box - I am not even sure what is in that box?

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No SME's don't have built in resistors to my knowledge. I didn't look close at the RB radio, they looked like SME's from the get go. You would have to find the prints for the RB1 and put a main resistor swap on it to lower the output.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No SME's don't have built in resistors to my knowledge. I didn't look close at the RB radio, they looked like SME's from the get go. You would have to find the prints for the RB1 and put a main resistor swap on it to lower the output.

They are SMEs with incandescent bulbs... Well anyway, that project is done and is working great. For the next victim then.

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so.... can someone pm me a writeup thats ***** friendly on how to take apart everything again related to the interior LEDs? I kinda screwed something up and Im stuck inside for the night :(

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so.... can someone pm me a writeup thats ***** friendly on how to take apart everything again related to the interior LEDs? I kinda screwed something up and Im stuck inside for the night :(

What exactly went wrong Royman? What is the current situation?

From what I recall - high level
1) Remove shifter bezel
2) Remove radio bezel
3)Remove the 4 gauge unit, replace bulbs
4) Remove knee bolster (you may need to remove side trim to allow it to come free, its kinda sandwiched)
5) Remove 4 nuts under steering column to lower the steering column / wheel out of the way
6) Gauge bezel has some screws on bottom, but just press clips all around
7) Remove gauges with screws, replace bulbs

That is high level - where are you stuck?

Derek

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so I cant seem to get the 4 gauge unit out without going any further, not sure which screws to go at. I already have the knee bolster off though so I guess I might as well go all the way... I have found some interesting stuff in my car lol, Ill post a pic to show where I am if anyone would be so kind as to help

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
so I cant seem to get the 4 gauge unit out without going any further, not sure which screws to go at. I already have the knee bolster off though so I guess I might as well go all the way... I have found some interesting stuff in my car lol, Ill post a pic to show where I am if anyone would be so kind as to help

Hmm, I don't recall anything special about that gauge cluster. Some screws, then pull? Maybe there are some clips on it... Arg I can't remember!

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also, two quick questions about the HVAC- do I need to take this thing apart or are these three things visible on the back the bulbs? (Im scared to touch them)
and also- is there any way to test if the polarity is ok before assembly? wire a 9 volt battery to it?

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
also, two quick questions about the HVAC- do I need to take this thing apart or are these three things visible on the back the bulbs? (Im scared to touch them) and also- is there any way to test if the polarity is ok before assembly? wire a 9 volt battery to it?
HVAC - I think you do need to remove a few screws to reveal the bulbs, but maybe not. The point is, it was really easy whatever I did when I had it apart. There is nothing to fear and nothing to break. Just go for it.Gauges - there wasn't any need to remove the part of the panel that covers the gauges. Take the screws out that you can see and check the status. Since I can't remember anything these days, take a closer picture of the gauges and maybe it will jog some memories.Testing - just put the bulbs in, plug it back into harness to test. It takes a few minutes of flipping a few unlit bulbs, that's all.

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok i got it all... none of the HVAC ones seem to work... and I cant get the damn thing back together, or at least the shifter bezel to fit with the console and the stereo bezel... I swear you cant put it back together the same way you take it apart. gave up a few hours ago and started working on a new project :)

BTW- did you have trouble keeping the plate LEDs in position? the white rubber surround for each LED is giving me a hard time- any suggestions?

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok i got it all... none of the HVAC ones seem to work... and I cant get the damn thing back together, or at least the shifter bezel to fit with the console and the stereo bezel... I swear you cant put it back together the same way you take it apart. gave up a few hours ago and started working on a new project :)

BTW- did you have trouble keeping the plate LEDs in position? the white rubber surround for each LED is giving me a hard time- any suggestions?

For me, everything goes back together the same way quite easily - but perhaps its the 'production variances on a hand made car' that I always hear about...

HVAC - make sure you twist them all the way. Look for the metal contacts on the board and the LED, and make sure they line up. The bulb can twist in and stay, but if you don't twist it all the way, it will not touch. They are all that way - twist lock.

Where did you buy the LEDs? I didn't have any trouble with any rubber surround... perhaps I am misunderstanding you. Picture? Anyway, just make sure all the bulbs are twisted all the way. IF they still don't light, flip them around.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Based on personal experience, check the overall dimensions of your new bulbs, many times, they can be larger one way or another than the OEM size and will make everything else not fit. There is a great variance in LED bulbs, they can be longer or wider than the originals and you will not be able to make them fit. This part is very frustrating, I am dealing currently with this crap on my Vette.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many on here that bought interior bulbs got them at superbrightleds.com, so I know those fit. If from somewhere else, then yes as PeterMJ says, they can be all different lengths and dimensions and not fit. Sadly.

PeterMJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Many on here that bought interior bulbs got them at superbrightleds.com, so I know those fit. If from somewhere else, then yes as PeterMJ says, they can be all different lengths and dimensions and not fit. Sadly.
Yup, same goes for color, by now I have a quite a collection of bulbs that either do not fit or have a wrong color, LOL. 8000k on my vette gives me a real headache, most of the vendors must be color blind and that place does not even sell 8000k. I may be switching my vette to 6000k just like I did with the Viper.

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
got them all on superbright LEDS.. the rubber surround I am referring to was on the viper, it houses the socket for the bulb and is white... time for round 2

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
got them all on superbright LEDS.. the rubber surround I am referring to was on the viper, it houses the socket for the bulb and is white... time for round 2

Ok - well that's good then - they should all fit and work no problem. Whatever the issue is, its not - I know you are just being over cautious - I am that way as well. If you still have an issue, just take a close up pic of the problem area just in case you have some odd bizarre one-off situation.

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah I got it, the housings of the HVAC leds from superbright were rubber so they were tough to screw into place... the little nib that holds them in place was too large and I filed it down on each one to get them back into place. Everything works great now! now I just need to get this thing back together...

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah I got it, the housings of the HVAC leds from superbright were rubber so they were tough to screw into place... the little nib that holds them in place was too large and I filed it down on each one to get them back into place. Everything works great now! now I just need to get this thing back together...

Excellent! Did you replace all the main gauges too? Speedo / Tach, etc.? If you didn't, don't put it back together yet!

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Got it all, everything is finally done, although I have some extra screws that I could not find a home for when reinstalling the parts :) It looks great!
Thanks for the advice and help ohlarikd, as soon as those V3 switchbacks are available to order I am going to go about that next- in the meantime I think I am going to try to mess around with the lighting in the window switches, door locks and maybe attempt to put a red LED strip in the center brake light. Also- my Pioneer stereo has the configurable LED lighting so everything matches, I am photoshopping a custom Viper logo background for it tomorrow- I will post pics and be happy to send anyone a render who has the same stereo and would like to use it!

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So.... the v3 Switchbacks are on backorder (http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/bulb-system/v3-wa-6k1.html)

Any idea what the difference between the 3517 3516 and 3517CK models are?

CK is for a special wiring situation on some cars. The Viper is not one of those - order the Non-CK ones (standard wiring).

3157 is a dual filament bulb, like for a brakelight. I believe all the V3s are 3156/3157, so there is no choice there. It works in either case.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Switchbacks are not backordered now (12/2/13) if you wanted to order. RED is backordered now...

V3 is still the easiest, plug and play system out there. A bit pricey but the brightest you will find. And they LOOK good too. Its not a giant 92-LED tower.

ROYMAN

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So... not that it matters immediately because the V3 switchbacks are backordered (again) but, it looks like the available wiring options have changed once more. Anyone have any clue if it is better to go with the single filament base adapter w/ parking light wire, or simply just the 6'' extension wire? I have not taken the headlights apart yet so I am not sure what to expect.

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
So... not that it matters immediately because the V3 switchbacks are backordered (again) but, it looks like the available wiring options have changed once more. Anyone have any clue if it is better to go with the single filament base adapter w/ parking light wire, or simply just the 6'' extension wire? I have not taken the headlights apart yet so I am not sure what to expect.

I looked at the website, but I am still not sure what you are asking? What do you mean by 6" extension wire?

OP
OP
O

ohlarikd

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Royman - so the adapters are for 3156 single filament bulbs. We have 3157 bulbs, so actually you just leave the QUANTITY for the adapter as ZERO. You don't need to buy it. You select the V3 bulb, then select the BASE as 3157, and that's it.