Left knee always bruised after a track day..

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Now, this may seem like a silly topic, however, I track the car regularly and this happens to me EVERY TIME.

For the longest time I didn't know why my knee was always bruised, but then I finally figured it out.

In the hard right handers, my left knee is being slammed against the door to the point where I'm getting a decent bruise on the left side of my knee.

Does this happen to anyone else or am I just weird? lol

Was just curious. :lmao:

- Keith

jdeft1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A pad along the door where the knee knocks...... Good idea for a mod imo... A bit of sheet Armaflex in the proper spot is all it would take.

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ahh I meant to put this in the racing forum.. oops.

Paul Hawker

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This used to bother me till I installed 6 pt harness. Was bracing myself. Always felt the speaker cover going thunk thunk as pressure was applied.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
naaahhhh you aren't weird AT all haha!

I track my Viper about 12-15 weekends/yr and I have harnesses...and yeh I have a bruise.

I think it's from being in stock seats, 'cause no matter how tight I get the teamtech's it still doesn't help. If I had side supportlike a raceseat that would help.

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ya, I'm running the teamtech 5pt with a stock seat. I've even tried to use my leg muscles to keep my knees closer together and no such luck on those hard turns.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! :)

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ya, I'm running the teamtech 5pt with a stock seat. I've even tried to use my leg muscles to keep my knees closer together and no such luck on those hard turns.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one! :)

It would be kewl if there was a seat insert for people running stock seats.:D

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happens to everyone in a stock seat, especially on long fast sweepers (willow springs #2, #8)
get a race seat, or, place a sports knee pad , turned left, under your suit

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
A seat-lowering kit WILL take your knee down off that headlight switch.
For most, a properly-cinched 6-pt harness WILL hold your thigh down and therefore off that pressurepoint. A 5-pt absolutely will NOT.

I dont know why Leslie is not cinched...Maybe Ill have to adjust her meeself at VIR ?

Reaction score
I have relocated my dead pedal to be more user friendly (IE forward) and extend my leg further, much more comfortable and able to brace myself better. Plus it is out of the way for my big feet!

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Happened to me also. Even after installing a race seat and 6 points (long legs). Finally realized I was still bracing my leg against the door out of habit. :rolleyes: I've had to consciously keep my left knee pointed up to try and break that habit. Might just put a knee pad on sideways and forget about it.

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok I have never raced my car before nor driven it near any of its limits so I have no idea what your talking about and I am excited to find out. If I can get that car turning hard enough my knee hurts it was well worth it! Sorry, the weekend is still too far away, trying to contain myself before VIR.

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmmm, after my first track outing at BeaveRun .... my left knee was sore, but I really felt it in the chest. Stock seats and belts ... have to hold on to something :)

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Driving the viper today, I realized my knee lines up perfectly with the outer lip that surrounds the speaker grill. Its a pretty sharp corner that goes all around the speaker that just digs right into my knee on every hard right hander. :(

Bird325

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For my first Viper Days, my instuctor couldn't figure it out with my stock seats until HE drove my car. The stock seats in the GTS work pretty well, but not at SPEED. I don't want to go to race seats, but may HAVE to if I want to keep tracking my car.

It's all a balance of what you enjoy your Snake for ... if you're going to spend time on the track, you're going to have to give up some of the stock comforts in favor of the stability that 5/6 point harness and seats offer you.

Dale.Volz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try volleyball knee pads. I use Wilson, but there are lots of brands & styles to choose from. Cheap, adjustable, long-lasting, and ****.

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Icon makes a Field armor pad that fits under your jeans... Looks pretty cool and takes a beating

[media]http://forwardmotionmc.com/ebayimages/icon/armor/Field_armor_leg_lg.jpg[/media]

AZTVR

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wondered how I burnt the side of my knee, after noticing it one track weekend. I then figured out that it was from my jeans sandpapering the skin as my knee braced on the door panel. Maybe I'm not going fast enough for bruising yet ? Maybe I'll have to try harder !
( I now have the TeamTech 6-points and don't notice the problem anymore.)

Darbgnik

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've found both the outside of my left and right knees were sore to the touch after a track day, but no bruises.

I seem to brace myself in both left and right handers.:dunno:

On long right sweepers I notice the speaker grill popping in and out.

j-rho

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I get that too after just 1-2 autocross runs. A better seat is the best answer. I have to keep my car stock and knee pads are, well...I'm not wearing knee pads. If I remember, I tuck a sweatshirt of something to the left of the seat to protect from the sharp edge around the speaker.