Let's set the records straight!

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Let\'s set the records straight!

This is actually a question rather than a statement, but with all the figures flying around I imagine I'm not the only one a bit confused
smile.gif
To the best of my knowledge, the following are the current documented world records for V10, T-56, Dana 44 Vipers:

Best 1/4 ET: 9.48, RSI car with SW driving
Best 1/4 MPH: 154 MPH, DLM's personal car with Doug driving
Best dyno #s: Treynor's DLM car, 996 RWHP SAE NET
Best top speed: SVSi salt-flat turbo car, 24x MPH (anyone have exact #?)

If you have corrections or additions to this list, post 'em here and provide supporting documentation.

I'd like to get this nailed, and than I propose the VCA create a "World Records" section which has up-to-date information and maintain it on this board. I've got to think there's a lot of demand for such a section!

Toby

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Let\'s set the records straight!

A section with weekly up to date info on all Viper racing activities including drags would be very cool. Pics too.

I am thinking not a message thread type of section but a separate set of web pages with up to date racing info..pics...sponsors etc etc.

Great Idea.

Bullet488

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yes... I believe those are all correct. I was not aware that DLM ran 154 but that would be the fastest 1/4 mph to date. (that I know of) The only number that I doubt you can or will ever be able to verify is...

Best dyno #s: Treynor's DLM car, 996 RWHP SAE NET

If you think about it, FOR A TUNER... These records are more than just bragging rights. They are a means to attract new customers. Consequently, they are often contested. Furthermore, showing the dyno sheets puts ALL the cards on the table. That 9.80 car that was so impressive now seems a little less impressive with a 400 shot of nitrous. The car was an excellent work of engineering with only a 200 shot, now it's seen as a time bomb. Not good for business. See what I'm saying?

Alot of tuners and individuals have tried crazy nitrous combinations and other mojo to produce some extreme numbers that may or may not live long enough to even make it down the track. These graphs often have crazy A/F ratios, tire slippage, torque spikes and other factors that make them subject to critisism. Notice we have seen several timeslips from the latest crop of unlimited cars but no dyno sheets. (except yours Ben)

The ET and MPH are more readily divulged because you can cry foul and manipulate a dyno number but time slips are pretty solid.

I'm NOT knocking the idea.. I think it would be really cool to have a records section. Upkeep would be minimal as these records usually go for awhile without being broken. I just foresee alot of whining 1BAD's that insist everyone else is lying.
Scott W

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score

How about I put together a records page for the site? Maybe list it under the Viper Registry section or something. I'll talk to Jay about it see what I can put up.

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

RUNNR -- that would be terrific, thanks!

All - I have my first correction: Hennessey's got a 1020 RWHP (SAE NET) dyno sheet for his Orange Turbo+NOS car. That trumps my 996 RWHP pass, at least until I get out to the dyno here in Cali where we have cold weather
supergrin.gif

WAR HORSEPOWER WARS!!!

Also, I'm going to make Doug cough up his old 154 MPH timeslip and prove it; otherwise my car's 152 MPH pass will get the "fastest" wreath. Hmmm. Actually, maybe I'll just ask Doug to throw in the "big" NOS jets and take my car back to the track tomorrow for a 155 MPH pass before he ships it to me
supergrin.gif

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I believe Grants Performance and SVSi have both put up over 1,000HP on Viper motors also, in addition to HMS and Levin.

I think the Grants one was pretty much tops... dyno results I saw were around 1,500HP, which would be around 1,200 to the wheels.

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Dyno sheet -- show me a dyno sheet! The best I found on SVSi's website was about 940 RWHP. I've yet to see a single sheet for Grant's.

Also, a 1200 RWHP car would trap over 160 MPH, and I've never heard of such a Viper trap speed...

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sir Hiss ain't a V10, ain't a T-56, and ain't a Dana 44 Tom
smile.gif
It certainly qualifies for an award of some kind, but not in the category I'm collecting data for. I believe there are several Viper-bodied ProMod cars which obviously eclipse any of the performance stats for stock-block, stock-driveline Vipers...

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Ben,

I wasn't thinking of Sir Hiss, I was thinking of another type of documenting Viper performances. I didn't wish to change the subject matter of your original post so I wasn't going to mention it. but.......

Every time I read a magazine performance review of a vehicle, whether it be a car, motorcycle, boat or private aircraft, the first thing that is listed is the vehicles price and price as tested. My thoughts would be to have documentation of how fast these cars are and how much it REALLY cost to get them there. The consumer and future customer of any tuner surely wants to know these important factors.

What do you folks think of something like that? I'd gladly participate..or to keep things honest, I'd have a few customers submit their dyno and track numbers and sales receipts, and I'm sure all of the tuners could produce the same.

With all of the new and exciting items coming for the Viper enthusiast to choose from, this type of actual performance for the dollar documentation will, without a doubt, be a valuable resource to all interested parties.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

sorry, didn't want to sidetrack your thread.

Fast Freddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

EXCELLENT IDEA. a section for records: drag strip related. www.ls1.com. has this sort of thing. it is very cool and well organized. it is called the top 100 club. any body who has run faster than 11.99 seconds posts their: name, location, car type (corvettes,camaros and firebirds only), mods, sixty foot times and of course et and mph. date and track location would be good info 2. viper club should definately c how this is laid out and put together, so they know how to do theirs. www.dragtruck.com. has a similar type of deal 2. since vipers go 12's stock. i suggest the minimum time 2 join the club should be 11 seconds. we call it the 11 second club. all vipers that run 11.99 or faster. obviously this would include 8,9 & 10 sec. vipers. u rank the list in order of fastest just like the other sites.

jkracer9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Not bad at all Tom, will let the customer know exactly what they will be spending to get their name on a list. Then the least spent for the most power would mean that much more. If it is dollars to get a top spot vrs smart spending I will not make the list but it would be good to see how much I could have saved.

PS: Tom, the roll bar
frown.gif
cool.gif

Reaction score

This sounds like a great idea. You learn from your mistakes. Here is a price list of my last set up.

Heads 5700.00
Cam 450.00
Gasket & head bolts 360.00
Manifold work 1700.00
Custom Nitrous Kit 4000.00
Fuel System 1000.00
Oil & Filter 50.00
10 Quart Oil Pan 440.00

Tom Welch

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Albert,

Thanks for your list, your Viper is definately at the top of the list of ultimate performance gain for the dollar!

Here's my list:

Heads and Rockers 5000.00
Cam 650.00
Headers/exhaust 3400.00
Gaskets/misc. 800.00
Two Stage NOS 3000.00

There are other items like a Roll Bar, and safety equipment, race wheels and tires, and I did my own installation which saved money. I'm still learning.

Tom
Http://btrviper.com

Best E.T. 10.17
Best MPH 142.76
Best Dyno 776 RWHP @ 952 RWTQ

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score

I have permission to build this, so give me a few days and we'll post it up.

Reaction score

Tom, my list gets longer. Headers and exhaust, shifter, slicks,etc... but compared to many other prices I have seen. I'm not doing so bad I guess. just took a while. LOL

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Please include the mods on the car (only mods that gain HP/TQ) and the RWHP/RWTQ numbers beside each 1/4 record. That would help owners to determine what parts are needed to obtain a certain 1/4 mile time, trap speed or HP number.
You also might want it to start in the 10s, maybe mid 11s, since all the new Gen 3s probably run in the high 11s stock.

Bonkers

VCA Venom Member
Venom Member
Reaction score

I'd be happy to keep records, though credibilty would be an issue..

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

> I think the Henster has a 1015rwhp SAE dyno sheet for his get away car.

The only one I've seen of his turbo + NOS car is low 1000s uncorrected, mid-900s corrected. I'm sure he'll turn up the boost now
smile.gif
which is why these records sections are so much fun.

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I would like to see this board/someone keep track of the top 25 or so 1/4 times & MPH. The list should include who's car, the tuner and the major mods (heads, cam, N2O, SC, turbo, etc.).

THEMASH

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FUSCUCLA1:
Shouldnt matter where you start it, top 10 is top 10.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought it was any 1/4time in the 11s and below.
If you want it for bragging rights, then top 10 is the way to go. since most of the names on there will be tuners.
But if you want to use the list so it will benefit the members in choosing parts they should get to run/make a certain number, then increase the number of spots and make it "top 30" or something.

just my .02

OP
OP
T

treynor

Enthusiast
Reaction score

JP - that's an excellent category, good call. Given where most Viper owners' interests lie, we'd probably want the following:

Stock-displacement 1/4 mile & dyno
Normally-aspirated 1/4 mile & dyno
Unlimited (still V10-T56-Dana44) 1/4 mile & dyno

Others?

Anthony - 98 GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Treynor,

Those classes look good - keep it simple.

You should be able to post times in muliple classes - that way us N2O guys can run motor only and then on N20 for the unlimited.

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by treynor:
JP - that's an excellent category, good call. Given where most Viper owners' interests lie, we'd probably want the following:

Stock-displacement 1/4 mile & dyno
Normally-aspirated 1/4 mile & dyno
Unlimited (still V10-T56-Dana44) 1/4 mile & dyno

Others?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boy, what started out to be simple, is getting complicated... Ok, let me put together something running a database. This simple flat html file isn't going to do everything you guys want.

Shall we seperate Supercharged from Turbos also? Let me know. And please hold off on the emails for a day or so
smile.gif

Jay, going to have to put this onto vca1 or vca2... main box doesn't have php/mysql.

-RUNNR

Site programmer
Reaction score

Ok, so I was bored........

New and Improved record keeper is posted. Use the menu links at the top.

Just remember, this is the honor system. We can edit/delete frauds. Plus make fun of you on a public forum
smile.gif

Enjoy, and hope this works out fine for everyone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456