Local places to buy helmet

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where can I buy a helmet and actually try it on before purchasing? I am in the southwest suburbs but understand I might have to travel a bit to find one.

kaval

Viper Owner
Reaction score
you can try northstar auto sports barrington I think... they have stuff you can try before you buy

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Where can I buy a helmet and actually try it on before purchasing? I am in the southwest suburbs but understand I might have to travel a bit to find one.

Where did you end up getting one? What brand/model? I still need to get one and was looking at the Bell BR 1 for $400

OP
OP
W

wastntim

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where did you end up getting one? What brand/model? I still need to get one and was looking at the Bell BR 1 for $400

I ended up going to Fresh air systems in Arlington Heights. They had a small variety in stock. Seeing how they different brands fit differenty, I wasnt' comfortable buying one online. I bought an Arai. I probably spent too much but I really liked how it fit and I could tell it was made well.

SmoknTires

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You xan never spend too much on a helmet. But one can always get the $50 helmet... if you have a $50 head.

In all seriousness, you do get what you pay for in many respects. Expect to pay somewhere in the $200+ for starters and top off at about $350 for a good one. Of course there are many that cost more, but not required for the casual driver.

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
you could probably get a great deal on an SA2000 helmet right now because they will only be good for a few more yrs.

I agree totally on your get what you pay for. I prefer a full face, lighter weight helmet, your neck will get tired after a full day of wearing it.

summit racing is a good place if you want to try one on....or try to find a speed shop in your area.

here's another thread on helmets-

http://forums.viperclub.org/showthread.php?t=600345&highlight=helmet

SNAKE BITE

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I wasn't able to find the helmet I wanted locally due to color(flat black) so I ordered directly from Bell today and am having the helmet overnight shipped. I should have it tomarrow(saturday). Just in time for the Autobahn on Monday:2tu: