Longest 2 weeks in my life

reelsteel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello all...I just bought my first Viper('06 Slate Gray vert) last week and am waiting for Gary Almond to deliver it. He ran into a slight snag out west, but would rather wait for him to pick it up then chance it with someone else. I've read some of the shipping horror stories and one of them was my friend and co-worker('94 that got a nice dent in the sidepipe and the shipper didn't want to pay to get it fixed).
Anyways, I'm a former Corvette owner and got tired of seeing my car everywhere, wanted to get something different. My dad has a Yellow '94 and everywhere we went in it, people always waved and wanted to check it out.
Just wanted to say Hi and tell you that I can't wait to drive my new rocket!!!

mad0953

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Greetings.......welcome aboard!!!! Viper ownership is a unique experience....much different than any other car I have ever owned. I love it...once you've been bitten there is no going back.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome reelsteel, and congratulations on your '06 SLATE GRAY (AWEsome color!!) vert. From what we've heard here, you've got the BEST in transport, Gary Almond!!! Good for you! Can't wait to see your pics, and enjoy your car, bet you aren't sleeping til it gets there, are ya?!! LOL...anticipation!!!!
We've always had Vettes, Z06, and now have an '08 436hp paddle-shifting Vette...LOVE it. Best of both worlds we have now...NO, it in NO WAY compares to the BRUTE of the VIPER...we can now take out both cars and just wreak havoc!!!! ENJOY~~~juli

OP
OP
R

reelsteel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome...can't wait to drive it. Here is a pic of it at the dealership.

Attachments

• DSC00040.jpg
    DSC00040.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 178
V

Venomiss

1186d1205944555-longest-2-weeks-my-life-dsc00040.jpg

Beautiful car you will be getting and welcome!

OP
OP
R

reelsteel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome.
JohnK...I live in Leonardtown, by Breton Bay Golf Course
I can't wait any longer...I was thinking about driving down and getting it, but the weather doesn't look so good this weekend. I hope Gary can make it back to the East Coast by the weekend and possible have my car next week some time. The wife is already making plans to take people for rides at lunch time, since I won't be able to drive it to my work till I get permanent tags for it.

PatentLaw

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome. We have a gathering at the Fisherman's Inn Crab Deck every year near Annapolis (Kent Island). This will be the tenth annual meeting. Many cars are expected this year. We would love to see you there. Great looking car. Call or PM Gus Strakes or Lee Stubborfield for information.

OP
OP
R

reelsteel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
PatentLaw...Thanks for the invite
Pickeral...I'll make you a deal, as soon as you get your new car parts...I'll drive down and pick mine up...what ya think?

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Y2K10 SRT#39

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was spring in Western Washington yesterday- 55 degrees- and a loooooonnnngggg ride! It was great to dust the cobwebs off! Back to cold rain today!

PBR

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
First Virginia Maryland Region get together is March 29th in Severna Park. Lot's more going on than just the Crab Feast. Ther are usually about two events a month. PM me for details on how to join VCA. You will be one of two in the Region that color. The other is in Ellicot City. I expect he would be there, you can get a picture of your twins. Ask Gary about this region, he's been a member for a long time.

mike & juli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was spring in Western Washington yesterday- 55 degrees- and a loooooonnnngggg ride! It was great to dust the cobwebs off! Back to cold rain today!
PBR

We could NOT STAND IT ANY LONGER~~took the Viper and the Vette out today...EASTER Sunday...SUNNY...34 degrees!!!! LOL...Viper bouncing all over the place w/hard as rock runflats (okay, we WILL get softer PS2's once these wear down some)...and the Vette which you can handle with one hand...SO.......MUCH.........FUN!!!! :drive: ~juli
I AM HAPPY!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

OP
OP
R

reelsteel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gary called yesterday and he's back in business. Has me scheduled for this coming up Saturday to deliver it to the house. Can't wait...Hope he has good weather crossing the country and nothing changes his schedule(keep your fingers crossed).

ViperJay

Viper Owner
Reaction score
congrats reel. have fun with your new toy. i was wondering, how much does it cost to ship a car? do they charge by the mile. what are the rates? thanks.

OP
OP
R

reelsteel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ViperJay...Not sure how they come up with cost. I did some online thing that went out to about 10 different shippers and got back a range anywhere from $500 - $1200. Not sure why such a big range. Then I started to read the horror stories about all the shippers.
Called Gary to see how busy he was(I think he lives in his truck) and he punch in the cities and gave me a great price over the phone( btw...nicest guy you will ever talk to). He had a great schedule set up, until some guy hosed him in CA and cancelled his shippment back to FL. Once back in FL he was to pick a Ford GT to deliver to MD and on the way pick up my '06 in NC(he has a 2 car enclosed trailer). Everything was going as planned till he found out almost to CA that the guy in CA cancelled. Now he has an empty trailer coming back across the country. Not good with fuel prices at what they are and hauling a trailer.

96GTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel your pain brother! I was very interested in a Viper, but was told the car had been sold. The day before I left to do the Bataan Memorial Death March in New Mexico the seller called and told me the buyer had backed out and asked if I was still interested. I sent a deposit, but had to wait a week to get back home and set up arrangements to get the car.

Now I'm in the same situation again with another Viper. I was outbid by a sniper on eBay 20 seconds before the auction ended and I was at work (with no access to eBay) getting a second-by-second update from my wife at home. She told me I was outbid and asked what she wanted me to do, and by the time she put in a higher amount the auction was over. The seller is talking to the buyer to make sure its the right car for them as it is pretty modified and it is the buyers first Viper. I have the patience of a kid on Christmas morning, so this is REALLY killing me.

OP
OP
R

reelsteel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talked to Gary at lunch today and he's in TN, going to drop off a viper in SC and then head up and get mine in NC tomorrow. Said I should have my new girlfriend Friday night or Saturday morning. Of course now it looks like some chance of rain for the next 10 days!!! go figure!!! Everyone can thank me for no droughts this year in MD.