Looking to get a Viper

Pantera72

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi guy, I been thinking of selling my Pantera and getting a viper. The wife wants me to keep the Pantera but I have owned it for 10 years now and think I might want a change. What is the best year for gen II? What should I be looking for (do they have any hidden problems, etc)? Thank you for any help.

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
P

Pantera72

Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK I will post more pics but posting a reply like that makes it even harder to sell my car.

29OUTLAW

Viper Owner
Reaction score
If you want a car to drive versus collect, my choice would be a 1999.

The engine changes that came into play in 2000 are considered undesireable by many.

Also - 1999 was the year that wheels went from 17" to 18". The 1999 also had some tweeks to the interior.

CitySnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should check out the Viper Registry on this website for all the detailed model changes from year to year.

1999 had a great cam and better internals, but lacked the ABS that came in 2001.

Heck....here's the link:

International Viper Registry

Scroll down a bit for the changes by year.

goldcup

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Go ahead and get a Viper with a steering wheel though !!!!
I have always loved the Pantera, it's a gorgeous car you cant post to many pics
I have an 01 coupe and I got to tell you there isnt a bad year it just depends if you want to mod heavily or not.
Somewhere on the forum is a post on the benefits of the two motors.
Good luck!!!!!

Dads Toy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
keep the pantera, that was my dream car in High School before the Viper came out. seen one blow away a 454 vette and it was all over, instant lust on my part.

maxdaddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
KEEP THE PANTERA!!!! Get a viper also, I love my gen 1(open top side pipe). My brother has a 71 push button, and its one of our favorite cars.

eucharistos

Enthusiast
Reaction score
nice car

The wife wants me to keep the Pantera

If mamma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy;-)....supplement instead of replace if possible.

Which Gen II depends on your future plans for the car as others have said; forged internals, ABS, open or closed, etc. Can't go wrong with any, though some may end up fitting your plans better.

OP
OP
P

Pantera72

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys.. If I was to get a viper the pantera would have to go. Only room for one car in the garage.

Freddog11

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting car...looks like a GT5 but your name indicates that its a 72. Whatever it is, you should be able to get a pretty good price for a great looking car like that. Maybe a trade at Woodhouse. There's some Pantera history with them I believe.

OP
OP
P

Pantera72

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting car...looks like a GT5 but your name indicates that its a 72. Whatever it is, you should be able to get a pretty good price for a great looking car like that. Maybe a trade at Woodhouse. There's some Pantera history with them I believe.

It is a 1972 Pantera. The GT5 kit was added before I own the car. Yes, Woodhouse has some Pantera history but if I do go for a Viper I would sell the Pantera not looking for a trade at this time.

agentf1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
01 and 02 are the best years for Gen II's IMHO due to having ABS brakes. If you plan on modding get a 99 or under since they have forged pistons.

Nice Pantera. :2tu:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper