looking to purchase my first viper, advice/tips/help appreciated!

spartan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys, im looking to purchase my first viper. i've narrowed it down to an 03-05 vert, as the coupes and newer years are out of my price range.
prior to looking into the viper, i was contemplating a few other cars such as aston martin v8 vantage, gtr, and ferrari 360 modena's, as they are all around the 60k range, but have decided that i would rather just purchase a car outright as opposed to financing the dividend and adding another monthly bill to my list. i have about 35-40k, which narrows down the playing field to earlier year cars, and might be susceptible to bugs, recalls, etc. what should i be looking out for when i inspect them? im aware of the window motors, rear ends, a/c, and oem run flats for the most part, but any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

also, while i say im going to keep the car basic and simple, and do light mods, (intake, exhaust, suspension) i know im only lying to myself and will take the plunge into heavier territory, just like every other car i've owned. but looking into a much more simple setup currently, as i've recently completed my 350z with a built, turbo'd ls1/t56, and currently finishing my lotus elise k20 turbo setup, im just looking for something to get in, drive, and enjoy virtually headache free. also, i can live with the interior of a viper (come on, i drive a lotus here... what interior?) and will eventually be looking for custom alternatives to spruce it up. after following 345'sbspinnin setup with his good greg heads, cam, lifters, etc. im fairly positive i'm sold on a higher hp n/a setup as opposed to paxton, or tt (for now). the simplicity and low maintenance of a rock solid n/a setup has me sold. any and all info, links, etc to these types of builds, parts, and first person reviews would be greatly appreciated as well.

looking forward to meeting you guys, and joining the viper club.

OP
OP
S

spartan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
while i do love the gen I/II's, im a glutton for the gen 3/4's. however i have a buddy looking to get into a gts, so i'll spread the word!

Viktimize

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Search around for info on high HP builds. Plenty of it here.

Are you on my350z.com forums?? I know someone else there did an LS1 swap as well. One of my dream projects to do myself once I have the garage space and some money to flush down the toilet.

Brass Monkey ACR E

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Prior to buying car have owner take car to Dodge Dealership that has Viper tech to inspect car. It will cost you about+/- $100 but well worth it. '06 starts coupe cars again

Mopar Steve

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where do you live? I am sure other owners in your area would be willing to look at a car for you.

ninjakris

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You will find one just fine. You are already a few steps ahead of the most people in the fact that you have done some homework for things to look for. I am on my second gen III right now and because of careful buying, I have done pretty well. Here is a couple more things that I would recommend for you to do.

1. If you find a car you like, google the VIN, and search for that VIN on this site and the alley. Many people out there claim "light" damage and a lot of time that car can be found online with a search.
2. Since you are looking for a gen III, ask when the last time the rear diff, trans, oil.... fluids have been changed. It should have been done at least once by now.
3. Get the car up on a lift. Check under the front bumper for scrapes. Its a good sign if the car has been driven hard or not. Also, look for leaks around the oil cooler lines, and the PS lines. These have a tendency for degrading over time because of OEM design.
4. Be patient. I found my 03 w/12K miles for $40K(one owner) in December of 11'. I sold it with 19,900 miles for $39K to a dealership last month. They then sold it to another guy for $41k. I found my VCA Paxton 06' coupe w/11K miles for $55K (one owner). The point to all this is there are good buys out there if you take your time and buy carefully. Also, the gen III's have pretty much bottomed out IMO so you can get one, enjoy it, and sell it down the road for a small/no loss.
5. Find someone local who has one and get a ride in it.

Good luck, post pictures when you find one.

OP
OP
S

spartan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^excellent njnjakris, thats what im looking for. i've driven both an 03, and my uncles 05. I fell in love with the powerband, and the overall package. Viktimize, im on my350 as bbs350z. Its a pretty small community of us ls swapped guys so im sure i know him lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper