low mileage vipers reliability

viper emil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys--i've been looking around for my next toy and have fallen for the viper. i just sold my sl65 and figured with the great economy and me being in real estate, why not drop $70k on a viper. i've been seeing a lot of really low mileage cars (500>) for sale much cheaper than dealer cars (at least so-cal dealers).

i know the general 500 mile break in procedure on cars but was wondering what are the risk (if any) on buying a car that wasn't properly broken in? it's hard to believe someone would buy a viper and drive it for 300 miles and not push it hard at all. so is it worth buying a low mileage used car and save a lot or should i wait for a local dealer to give me a good price?

also, what are the immediate "tips/mods" that need to be done? for example on my c6z i had to take out the skip-shift and turn off the DRL. I'm assuming there is a skip shift on the 08-09's and need to swap the exhaust--anything else?

oh and i'm looking for an 08-09 black vert with chrome 5 spokes--thanks for the insight!

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys--i've been looking around for my next toy and have fallen for the viper. i just sold my sl65 and figured with the great economy and me being in real estate, why not drop $70k on a viper. i've been seeing a lot of really low mileage cars (500>) for sale much cheaper than dealer cars (at least so-cal dealers).

i know the general 500 mile break in procedure on cars but was wondering what are the risk (if any) on buying a car that wasn't properly broken in? it's hard to believe someone would buy a viper and drive it for 300 miles and not push it hard at all. so is it worth buying a low mileage used car and save a lot or should i wait for a local dealer to give me a good price?

also, what are the immediate "tips/mods" that need to be done? for example on my c6z i had to take out the skip-shift and turn off the DRL. I'm assuming there is a skip shift on the 08-09's and need to swap the exhaust--anything else?

oh and i'm looking for an 08-09 black vert with chrome 5 spokes--thanks for the insight!

It would be hard for me to imagine someone not following the break in either. I would try and buy from a VCA member on this site if possible.
The first mod I would recommend on a viper is user training! Im serious as a heart attack about that too. These cars look cool and have a lot of power but many a well trained driver have cought themselves wrapping there car around something. I would spend the first 1K on a few Viperdays events or some other school that lets you use your viper. There is so much low end power that you can overwhelm the wheels on without even thinking. Thats my experience and opinion, after that add some headers & exhaust change, motons, quaife diff, wheels....... on an 08-09.

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The exhaust on the 08/09s is the best factory sound ever. Unless you want that extra 50hp you could leave it. Corsa system if you want louder and can handle the extra power.

HP Driving still comes with a new Viper? And a years VCA membership? Might want to buy new for these advantages.

My HPDriving experience cost about $235 from Cascade Sport Car Club in Portland. Read it in Domestic Driver - A bi-monthly online magazine featuring Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, and GM Cars from 1980+ or Viper magazine. Shandon's correct, Driver training will probably save you a crash and maybe your life.

Magazine writers don't like the Viper because it's the most difficult to drive as it's the fastest and doesn't come with nannies. It scared those writers so badly that they almost always write the Viper as loser in comparos, even though Viper kicks million dollar cars in performance. It's the "World's Fastest Road Car." Since the driver missed a few gears while setting the world's fastest time at Nuremberg Ring even pro race car driver's could use some Race Course practice/instructions. Search that video on this site.

Congrats on your choice. Hope you won't miss all that computer driver junk of the sl?

Ted

Kala

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Welcome to the VCA!

Our local So Cal Viper club is very active in Car control clinics. Track events and general Viper fun. Viper Days is up coming at Buttonwillow, near Bakersfield... You might want to look into signing up for that as well...

Viper X is our President, you might want to send him a PM here, or go to

. : : SoCal Viper : : . - Index

Sign up over there, I'm sure someone will step up and help you out. I know you said a black vert, but there is a 08 blue coupe listed in the classifieds over there for a great price!

OP
OP
V

viper emil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks a lot of the responses guys--

the car will be a DD and probably won't see over 60 mph unless I go to vegas! gotta love LA traffic!

as far as driver training--back when i lived in detroit, my dad and i built a '68 charger with about 800hp, and that thing was hard to drive/control..do you guys think the gen IV viper would be harder?

I would love to be able to track the car but more than likely i'd be lucky to get out once a year..as for the sl, it was a fun car, but it wasn't my primary choice (girlfriend liked it), so now gf is gone and car is gone too! time to grow some balls :)

OP
OP
V

viper emil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
oh and i've driven my friends old '04 coupe in the mountains and took some turns in it and didn't crash the car--are the 08-09's THAT much more powerful then the 03-06's?

01sapphirebob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The only way to be sure it was broken in properly is to buy a brand new one with the factory 7-12 miles on it. Otherwise you are taking that chance. However a used '08/'09 will still have a factory warranty. :)
here's a car i was looking at eBay Motors: Dodge : Viper (item 150321882964 end time Jan-25-09 11:53:43 PST)

but am getting spooked by the break-in procedure (or lack there of) it got...I always drove my leased cars hard and didn't care much for the break-in, so i can't imagine someone buying a viper with no intentions of keeping it breaking it in properly..what do you guys think?

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
A Viper is a 4 wheel independant suspnsion car. The weight distribution is perfect, not lighter in the rear like the Charger. The new PS2s were invented for the Viper and are massive.

The Viper can swap ends so fast that you cannot do anything except react after the fact. The Viper can lose control when shifting into 3rd gear because of cold pavement or a spor of dust you couldn't see from the driver's seat.

The Viper drives like no other car on the planet. You'll never learn to drive the car properly using the throttle to transfer weight needed to steer the car in an emergency situation without track experience. Track exoerience means that you can learn to drive the car and probably NOT wreck it while learning. It also helps when you have an instructor explaining how to drive properly.

My daughter has no problem cruising around in my 440 Duster, but if she dries my Viper - never more than half throttle.

Ted

ViperGal

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You have a pm - call Ben Keating - site sponsor and a real joy to do business with... he very well may be able to set you up with a black vert and is always worth the call.

Mods: roll bar in a vert is always a good idea.

Call JonB - site sponsor at Parts Rack and have him get you a new 08 dif with different gears. You will enjoy the drive much more and avoid the need a skip shift.

Stop-tech slotted rotors (JonB as well).

HRE rims always add nice bling.

A pass for Viper Days so you can learn how to really drive and handle the amazing and raw power of the Viper.

Drive on! :drive:

ViperGal

1BADGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

RTTTTed

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Unfortunately, badgts's Viper loses to Z06s every time.

Ted

HISSSN1

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dodge has a great sale starting tomorrow 0 % and up to 6,000 off I know are local dealer Power Dodge in Santa Clarita has a new 08 black coupe they are trying to unload it. Would be worth a call talk to the internet sales manager 661-259-8770. The other car it has very low miles and a warranty look around you will find the right car. Eddie

OP
OP
V

viper emil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for the insight guys (and gals)

so to ask again, if a gen IV viper has only 300 miles but was driven hard for those miles, are there any serious issues that could come up? or are these motors indestructible?

also, is there any way to remove the skip shift?

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
Emil,

Check our local website at: . : : SoCal Viper : : .

We are having a self tech / track prep for Viper in Wilmington on Feb 14.

Come by and ask as many questions as you'd like to local Viper owners.

Dan

OP
OP
V

viper emil

Enthusiast
Reaction score
i'd love to come but the gf would cut my balls off for skipping her precious day