Magazine test results

rcdice

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've been curious about some of the behind the scene details on car stats we all read about. Let's say National Mag xyz says they tested a new car to do 0-60 in 4.5 sec. and the 1/4 mile in 12.8 sec. Obviously, the car is stock, but just how reproducible are those results by the average shmo on the STREET? They run their tests on a track with near perfect traction conditions, right? I assume they "play" with various launch techniques to get the best times. I guess it really depends on the car. An AWD car is going to have far fewer traction issues than say, a Viper. But in general, how close are the published times to what one could expect in a street environment.

Also, all manufacturers quote HP and Torque at the crank. Driveline loss varies from vehicle to vehicle. It's been dyno proven time and time again that in many cases the Viper's numbers are somewhat under rated. How common is that? How common is it that the manufacturer claimed numbers are actually overstated?

Anyone have any insight into all this?

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
For production cars, although "stock" you had better believe they are the best "stock" that can be given a mag for a test.... Some mags adjust times based on test conditions too, this is supposed to equalize things, seems fair if done approriately. You'll be more likely to get close to the results of Road and Track than you would Motor Trend, or Car and Driver. Remember, they all have very good (often professionsl or close) drivers performing their tests too.

Some Magazine results, particularly for Tuner cars, are so rigged it is pathetic. One test I know of the tuner car had race gas in the tank, iced down intake, the entire drag stip was coated with VHT. The best run out of over a dozen was what was printed. Reguarding Tuner Cars, for the most part, forget what you read in magazines, those articles are to selling magazines only. Just my humble opinion :)