MCVO Autocross - July 22

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reviving an MCVO tradition, we plan on having a cruise through the Irish Hills, followed by an autocross event at Chelsea proving Grounds. The cruise will be a very scenic, inspirational drive through beautiful Irish Hills. This is a must do cruise. The autocross event is a great opportunity to come out and play with your Viper on an autocross track. For this event we create a short race track of sorts using plastic cones and chalk lines on a very large tarmac surface. Autocrossing is a very safe activity for both you and your Viper. In general speeds are less than 60 mph and stress vehicle handling more than power. If you have not participated in an autocross this is your chance. Even if you would rather not participate this is a great opportunity to observe an autocross first hand. So come on out and let’s play!

Link to MCVO calendar http://www.mcvo.net/events.html

OP
OP
G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
bump

If you have never done this you are in for a treat. Autocross is the safest form of car fun there is. And I hope to make the cruise as much fun as possible as well.

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm in, sent reg. form today. One question, do we need helmet for this event?

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have a group of four vipers going to autocross from the west side of Jackson. Anyone who is coming from the west and would like to join our group let me know (send me a PM). The more th merrier.

OP
OP
G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As to the helmet question I believe the answer is yes. For all previous autocross events we have used them. Not really necessary for the speeds involved but always a good precaution.

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ron,

Just make sure you stay on the road this time when you cruise through!

DrMcHenry

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Ray,

I believe I am in for the Autocross for Sunday. I'll be leaving from Lansing Sunday AM. What time were you thinking leaving your house to go to the Autocross? If anyone else around the Lansing or Jackson area is interested in going with us let us know.

Dr. Troy 517-281-5311

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Troy,

Think we will leave my house about 9:00 am and take the scenic route. I'll call you end of the week. Again anyone interested in cruising into Chelsea from the west let me know. We have at least four cars as of now.

OP
OP
G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey we have a great cruise planned prior to the autocross. Starts at 8:30 from the Belleville rest stop on I-94.

See you there

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What an awesome event. Weather was perfect for a day in your Viper. Thank You to all who helped organize and set up. We had a great time.

OP
OP
G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here are a few pictures from the cruise and autocross (high resolution versions can be accessed in my photo gallery). Didn't take any still shots of the autocross itself. Too busy driving and when on cone watch I was taking video. It was a blast. Anyone that was not able to make it missed a great day. The cruise, the autocross and the afterglow with friends over a cold one (or two).

Cars arriving at the cruise starting point. At departure we had 10 cars. I will not go into the story the first arriving member told regarding a couple that stopped in just after him. Must have been coming from a bar that closed very late! They were fast asleep in their car by the time I arrived 1/2 hour later.
100_3856.jpg

Picture of Terry's car during the cruise. I was taking up the rear the entire cruise and got lots of pictures of Viper butts :)
100_3859.jpg

Slight delay during the cruise. Even the best laid out cruise directions (from yours truly) can be messed up. In this case we found ourselves 5 miles off track and were trying to figure out which way to go. One cruiser (Brian ) had a navigator but we refused to use it. Real men, real cars, ...
100_3869.jpg

More pics of the cruise. At this point 4 more cars joined in. By chance they passed us going east and high tailed it to get in line and join in. Worked out so perfectly it must have been planned. Not!
100_3877.jpg

Vipers arriving at Chelsea PG. The anticipation is in the air. In fact I can already smell the fuel and smoke. Well maybe that is coming from a few cars that were alreay in the lot waiting for us.
100_3881.jpg

Just arrived at the track area and starting to set up. Doing the mandatory things like pumping up the tires and such. A very sunny day meant several purported men were using umbrellas as parasols. Obviously I was not one of them.
100_3884.jpg

Pit area at the time of group changes. Most cars were in place at this time.
100_3885.jpg

Results should be available shortly and we will try to get them posted. And I am sure the overall winner will take a bow at that time :2tu:

GTSnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like it was a lot of fun. Too bad I didn't get my car back on the road in time. But it's up and running now!

OP
OP
G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Final results:

You must be registered for see images attach