MCVO Krusin Klassics Fun Run

ZESTY

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a great weekend; even the Wings won! Thanks to Steve and Sue Nelson for orgainizing this event. It was the first time we have had a chance to attend and we had a blast. Also, thanks to Keith and Shelley Boye for their hospitality at their marina and all they did to make this a fun time. It was great to meet many new friends who attended this event and renew some old friendships. Congratulations to Frank and Kim Berle for winning the dyno trophy and maintaining the MCVO reign on this acheivement!! Who will be the next year's trophy winner....a yellow car?????? We are all waiting to see!!!!

Maureen and Jess

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
THANKS Steve & Sue FOR ANOTHER GREAT EVENT!!!!
Well I had to put the trophy in the house ahead of me because my head wouldn't fit through the door. ha ha
Your turn next year. Got home safe, not much traffic for a Sunday. Kind of scary. Didn't see many cops either, although stayed about 65 most of the way. Jesse called to say Maureen won third place prize. MCVO sure did good! To me the shirts were just fine. Maybe Snakeskin Green next year. Haha again.

Thanks Steve, Sue and Keith for hard work in giving us such a great time.
Kim & Frank

Carmaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
We had a great time at this event. Steve and Sue thanks for putting together such a great event. We certainly will be there for the next Fun Run. The "spirited drive" was so much fun and the Deyoung Family Zoo is unbelievable. Those cats are something else.

Congrats, Frank on the Dyno Performance. We did not see the run...sorry we missed it.

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a great Viper weekend! This jaunt up to Michigan's Upper Peninsula offers great winding roads with views of Lake Michigan, a terrific car show, a unique zoo, a Marina owned by a Viper owner, great eats, and all the fun with club members you can handle!

It all began on Friday, May 20th, with Vipers coming from all over the State through the driving rain to our motel home away from home in Escanaba.

Escanaba_08_Friday.JPG

Of course everyone wanted to clean up their car after driving through the rain all day. Frank Berle was heard muttering something about Michigan's mud being much better than the "mud" in Ohio.

Escanaba_08_Friday2.JPG

After we got unpacked and cleaned up we headed over to Riverside Dodge, who hosted us for our annual cook-out and Viper car show. They are great hosts and have been supportive to the club over the years.

Escanaba_08_Riverside1.JPG

We even allowed a strange car into our midst. Larry Pollack brought his 720 hp modified Ford GT (Larry has a 690 hp Viper too!).

Escanaba_08_Riverside2.JPG

When everyone had loaded up with burgers and other goodies we headed over to the UP State Fairgrounds, where the official Krusin Klassics events were centered. We cued up for the annual kick-off parade through Escanaba and surrounding communities.

Escanaba_08_Parade.JPG

Steve Nelson always leads the Viper posse in the parade with his striking bumble bee GTS. This crowd pleaser always reminds me of the advertising tag line ". . . the proud bird with a golden tail"! The caravan of Vipers in the middle of the parade was a real crowd pleaser.

Escanaba_08_Parade2.JPG

After the parade we ran back to the motel to watch the Pistons lose the Eastern NBA Championship -- oh well, it gave us a reason to drink! The following morning we went back over to the fairgrounds to get our strategic spot for the car show.

Escanaba_08.JPG

Our row of Vipers represented a good cross section of ages and models, which proved once again to be a real attraction to the crowd (they ignored the near-by Corvettes!).

Escanaba_08_Show.JPG

One of the fun features of this car show is that they set up a portable Livernois Motorsports Dyno and give a trophy to the highest horsepower turned at the show. Last year Rob Butryn took top honors with his 857 hp Doug Levin GTS. This year Frank Berle upheld the Viper honors by taking first place with his 524 hp stock 2008 Snakeskin Green coupe -- way to go, Frank!! Now, we've got a streak to defend . . .

Escanaba_08_trophy3.JPG

They even had a green trophy for Frank -- what thoughtfulness . . . !!

Escanaba_08_trophy_close_up.jpg

By noon we were done wowing the crowd at the car show, so we moved on to the DeYoung Family Zoo, a unique zoo run by Buddy and Carrie DeYoung and an army of volunteers. They have an impressive array of animals and run breeding and support programs in conjunction with zoos all over the country.

Escanaba_08_Zoo2.JPG

They look forward to the Vipers paying them a visit every year and they reserve a special parking spot for us in the middle of their grounds.

Escanaba_08_Zoo4.JPG

The cars always attract a lot of attention when we show up.

Escanaba_08_Zoo3.JPG

This zoo truly reflects the extreme devotion that the DeYoung's dedicate to their animals. Among the exotics they have on display are the white Siberian tigers.

Escanaba_08_Zoo5.JPG

The zoo offers a unique opportunity for children (and adults) in the Upper Peninsula to see such animals without having to travel extreme distances. You can check out the info on the zoo via the link below:

DeYoung Family Zoo - Home Page

They rely heavily on donations, and we always chip in and make a special contribution in the name of the Viper Club when we go there. Here's a shot of the DeYoung's and some of their younger volunteers holding baby animals born in the last year at the zoo.

Escanaba_08_Zoo8.JPG

After the zoo we took a "spirited" ride through winding backroads adjacent to the river to the Marina owned by Viper owners Keith and Shelly Boye in Menominee, MI. Keith led in his Hennesy 550 RT-10. At the Marina the Boye's hosted us with shrimp and all sorts of generous hospitality. They live at this exciting spot and it is always a treat to see what's going on at this intersection of the river and Lake Michigan.

Escanaba_08_Marina5.JPG

Another exciting treat we have come to look forward to at the Marina are the "animated driving demonstrations" in the parking lot by Frank Berle. Last year's show was one of the most popular car links on You Tube! Frank took the opportunity to demonstrate that his new 08 was perfectly capable of holding its own.

Escanaba_08_Marina2.JPG

Kim has suggested that this might best be the last year that Frank performs (unless he buys a tire store) -- so I don't know what we'll do next year. However, the cop who showed up will be relieved . . .

Escanaba_08_burnout2.JPG

After enjoying the Marina we cruised down to The Landing restaurant on the lakefront in downtown Menominee for a lively dinner of excellent food and drink. Then we continued our "spirited" driving back to our motel in Escanaba to congregate room to watch the Red Wings try to win the Stanley Cup.

Escanaba_08_Red_Wings.JPG

Frank brought in the dyno trophy and we celebrated both it and the Red Wings victory!

Escanaba_08_trophy.JPG

The next morning we made our traditional big exit from the hotel and had a final breakfast at Delona's Restaurant. Bill Turin set the record for length of "signature" on the way out!

Escanaba_08_burnout3.JPG

As others have said above, we all owe Steve and Sue Nelson, and Keith and Shelly Boye a huge round of congratulations for organizing such a fantastic event. They took the time to make all the reservations, preview drive all the routes, pre-register us for the car show, and otherwise make the whole weekend flawless!

Here's a link to Steve's pictures on the Kodak site, which will give you an even broader overview of our activities.

Kodakgallery.com Slideshow

If you're a MCVO member, mark this event in your calendars for next year -- it's perfect for driving fun, car events and good fellowship! :2tu:

Last edited:

Smog Dog

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice pics, Bruce. Thanks for taking the time to post. Sorry we couldn't attend this year, because it's always a great time!:2tu:

Bill

Hisserman

Enthusiast
Reaction score
:nono: CORRECTION : CORRECTION : CORRECTION : CORRECTION : CORRECTION : :nono:

Sorry, the glitches of late night posting got the best of me. I made two mistakes in the long post above. First of all, I gave Larry's Viper too much horsepower -- it has 590 HP, not 690 HP (still goes like snot!). Secondly, it was Terry Turin, not Bill Turin (I don't know where the Bill came from).

To make it up to you, here's a clip of Frank's driving demonstration at the Marina:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQywnX7RQuM

I post earlier in the day the next time! :dunno:

GRNBGON

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great Job Bruce!
You captured the weekend perfectly.
Now they know what they missed.
Make plans now people.

Steve 00RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
As usual, great job with the pictorial Bruce! Thanks for the all nice comments. It's always the people that make the event and we have a great group! The Vipers ranged from 1993 to a couple of 08s. This was our 9th annual Fun Run. The Krusin Klassics Car Club has been doing it for 23 years. Next to St. Ignace, which typically draws a couple thousand cars, it's the biggest car show around here. We had a great turn out this year with several new people. The zoo is always a big hit. In the middle of the UP woods.....they have many big cats there and loads of other animals. Seeing a couple of 500 pound tigers 10-12 feet in the air scrapping for a 20 pound chunk of meat is quite a sight. There are some huge Bengal tigers there too..close to 1000 pounds and not done growing yet. Then there is the ligar ......which will never stop growing

I've already got a bigger block of rooms, and the party room, reserved for next year. :2tu:

Steve

The below pics from 2006

IMG_1232.JPG

This is one big lion with a full belly mane

IMG_1225.JPG

Siberian White Tiger less than a year old

IMG_1281.JPG

Last edited:

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Secondly, it was Terry Turin, not Bill Turin (I don't know where the Bill came from).
I post earlier in the day the next time! :dunno:
Could it be because his name is William Turin??? And yes he goes by Terry.

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh, forgot to say.

Great Write-Up.

I think I will plagiarize this

RayC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice job with the pictures Bruce! We already put 2009 on the calander. Thank you to all who organized and planned, we had a great time. Hope to see everyone at Gingerman and St Ignace.