MGW short throw shift knob

HISSNAKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m considering the MGW short throw shift knob (4” shaft) for aesthetics and shift improvement. For those who have already done so, does it do the trick?

Carmaker

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Installed one in a 2000 GTS and one in a 2006 Coupe. Have only driven the GTS. Really like the length compared to the stock shifter. Especially in the 1-2 and 3-4 shifts. Installation is very easy. Just follow the directions that are enclosed. Each took about ten minutes.

viperbob

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well worth the cost and I think you'll like it...big improvement over stock. And if for some reason you don't like it you can sell it for a little less than what you pay; however, I think you'll keep it.

MikeR

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Feel and shifting seems a little better. But looks and ergo's are alot better. Its one of those parts that you wonder why didnt Dodge do this from the factory.

Viper X

Former VCA National President
VCA Officer
Reaction score
The first strike knob has a nice feel and works well. I also have the other MGW "ball" type knob but don't like it as well.

Coloviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone make the stock leather knob, but in the 4" tall shift height? I don't want to change the overall look, just lower the damn knob.

Jeff Lemke

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cut mine and re-tapped the hole. It looks and feels fantastic. The factory hight looks crazy tall now.

Jeff

Raheel

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any pictures Jeff? Would be great if you have some of the cut-off shaft and the hole.

Hiss

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My situation is a little different than most.

I have the Mopar Hurst Shifter which is much better than stock, and have used all the MGW knobs. The first strike is good but I am presently using the MGW round knob. At my age, with a bad shoulder, I need leverage so I put the knob as high as I can get it on the shaft. The best knob for me is the stock knob with the Hurst shifter. I know the throw will be a little longer but because of the leverage I can shift better with it.

Ive read about other Viper drivers using the longer knob with the short throw shifters, especially in tracking, to get the leverage.

Also the light weight fly wheel helped shifting to be a little smoother.

I do hate to use the factory knob with the Hurst shifter because the Hurst has even a longer shaft than stock. It looks like a dog gone ball bat sticking up from the console.:D

Last edited:

Lake Murray Viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO the MGW knob is the FIRST aftermarket thing that should be done to any
Viper. I can't believe the factory never changed the shifter. The MGW is a vast improvement.:)

Y2K5SRT

Enthusiast
Reaction score
IMO the MGW knob is the FIRST aftermarket thing that should be done to any Viper.
Funny you should say that: Back in 1999 when I ordered my first Viper the very first thing I did after I got off the phone with Woodhouse was to call MGW and order a shift knob. Mind you, I had only driven one Viper in my life (a blue/white Hennessey GTS) but had seen the stock knobs on some of the other cars. When the Kansas City Region of the VCA had its very first meeting in June of 1999, I showed up with the MGW knob and nothing else. No Viper, as it was still five months away from production. And for the next five meetings I brought that knob to the meeting as my defacto "Viper". Of course most of the club members (ten of us at the time) then went and bought them for themselves and never looked back.
:drive:

Every Viper we have owned ever since has had an MGW shift knob. I wouldn't have it any other way!

You must be registered for see images

Tranzow

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I initially bought the SVS short shifter which cleaned up the slop, but only dropped the height about 1". I added the MGW Snake Gripper with the Shifter Bezel which now gives it the perfect height, and the shifts are really tight.

Vipermann

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I switched from the First Strike to the MGW round knob ... I'll sell the FS to anyone that wants it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456