Michelin Sport Cup Concern

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luke,

I was looking at my new Sport Cups after about 800 miles. All but the left rear looked fine. The left rear has a crack or cut across most of the tread that looks like a problem. Note the crack/cut extends beyond into the radius on the outside edge indicating a mechanical cut is unlikely. Take a look and let me know what you think.

Full width:
498100_2116-med.jpg

Then 3 blow-ups
498100_2117-med.jpg

498100_2118-med.jpg

498100_2119-med.jpg

OP
OP
G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
At the recent MCVO spring tech day I showed it to the engineer that was responsible for tires and suspension from the original Viper team. He thought it was a splice or overlap location from when they place the raw rubber product on the drum. He did think it was unusual that the region was not fully vulcanized and fairly deep.

I am not sure I am comfortable driving at high speed with these anymore. Who can I contact from Michelin that can assist me (I purchased them from JonB and indirectly from Tirerack)?

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
it definitely is a tread splice .... and since the sport cup uses a butt splice I doubt it will go away like other tires will with a change of rotation. I am going to contact Michelin on your behalf but I do have a couple of questions.

1.) how long have you had them
2.) what is their use (i.e. street, track days, drag racing etc.)
3.) if primarily used for track events how many?

and any other info you care to add

OP
OP
G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Luke here are the answers.

1.) how long have you had them
I purchased them in mid April (with a set of SSR's through Partsrack). They have about 1000 miles to date.

2.) what is their use (i.e. street, track days, drag racing etc.)
So far primarily street. I had them a Gingerman for about 30 laps total, with about half easy laps due to a braking issue (loss of ABS).

3.) if primarily used for track events how many?
Answered above. In general I go to 1 to 2 track events a year and would consider myself moderate for how hard I am on tires (1 road and 1 autocross). I got 14,000 miles out of the stock Pilot Sports with the same overall driving (though only the rear were worn to the limit - all 4 tires were over heat aged and lost traction). No drag racing to date on the Sport Cups and only once on the Pilot Sports in 4 years.

Vipera Russelli

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting. Thanks for sharing those pictures, Ron.

By the way, it looks from one of the pictures that you might be wearing the outer edge a bit more than the rest of the tire. Have you added any negative camber? I had to, but not before burning through a set of Cups too soon by wearing out the outer edges.

OP
OP
G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I noticed the wear on the outside as well. The other thing is the tire pictured wore at about twice the rate of the right side tire (Luke how does this impact the warranty?). Not sure if it is related to the splice issue or what but it was very noticeable when we had our tech day last week (mine was on the hoist). The fronts wore even right to left side.

I did not change the alignment settings - they are stock.

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I noticed the wear on the outside as well. The other thing is the tire pictured wore at about twice the rate of the right side tire (Luke how does this impact the warranty?). Not sure if it is related to the splice issue or what but it was very noticeable when we had our tech day last week (mine was on the hoist). The fronts wore even right to left side.

I did not change the alignment settings - they are stock.

The LEFT REAR shows more wear, in part, due to your weight on the left, and making more right-hand turns. Normal, esp if you are a heavy guy like me!

HOWEVER: Placing a NEW REAR on the left creates a slight STAGGER. It will make the car turn Right, and push Right, toward the 'low' side. I would measure the tread on the used tire, and ask Luke to SHAVE the new tire (and heat cycle it) to match, IF THE DIFFRENCE is more than 3 or 4 32nds........ The stagger matters on a stiff-framed Viper, but not an Oldsmobile..

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
........By the way, it looks from one of the pictures that you might be wearing the outer edge a bit more than the rest of the tire. Have you added any negative camber? ..

Outside Shoulder wear is the result of OE-stock ALIGNMENT, esp w/track events.
If he had dialed in some negative camber, the INNER would wear more, becuase the tire becomes 'flat-footed' during hard cornering. With stock alignment, you use more outer shoulder.

Thanks to Luke and Michelin for jumping in to fix this tread anomaly

OP
OP
G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[The LEFT REAR shows more wear, in part, due to your weight on the left, and making more right-hand turns. Normal, esp if you are a heavy guy like me!

Now now Jon :)

The higher number of right hand turns could be the cause for the higher wear. I had a passenger for about 25% of the laps, though they were laps after I had the ABS issue so they were not as aggressive. had to divert the attention away from my weight :)

Note Michelin recommends an adjustment in alignment with the Sport Cups. I did not as I was/am planning on lowering the rear a little and doing that afterwards.

If the right to left stagger is an issue I will just have to go to the track and correct it. :)

OP
OP
G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, Michelin will cover it under warranty ... give me a call for specifics

More to come on this saga. I will post later with more info and pictures.

Luke@tirerack

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok, Michelin will cover it under warranty ... give me a call for specifics

More to come on this saga. I will post later tonight with more info and pictures. I expect that it will not paint a pretty picture of Tirerack, Michelin and indirectly Partsrack.

actually, your beef would be with Michelin not The Tire Rack or Parts Rack. We are working with Michelin on your behalf though.

OP
OP
G

GR8_ASP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Michelin Sport Cup Issue Resolved

It has been a few weeks since the last post. I wanted to give Tirerack, Michelin and/or Partsrack ample opportunity to help resolve this first.

And, to the sound of clammering symbols, they came through with flying colors. So the intent of this post is to let everyone know that Tirerack stood behind their product and made good. I am not sure of the Michelin side of it as all of my dealing has been with Luke (thanks Luke!) and JonB (thanks Jon!).

My car is now happily riding on the Sport Cups and SSR wheels again thanks to the excellent support of Tirerack and Partsrack.

Thanks Luke and Jon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xeng yang