Mid-Ohio race report from the Woodhoue windshield

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score
27/2004

Mid Ohio Speed TV World Challenge GT Race
as seen from the Woodhouse Viper windshield.
Round Three of 2004.

Forgive me for being slightly Viper slanted in this report.

There is no question that the Dodge Vipers have created an air of presence in the WCGT series this year. Of 34 entries at Mid-Ohio, 13 were Vipers. As the week-end began unfolding, things looked good for a fine Dodge result too, three Vipers qualified in the top 10.
And results we got; with Tommy Archer carrying the Dodge colors to a 4th place finish behind the Audi’s and a Cadillac. You already (maybe) saw the results on speed channel so I won’t be redundant with explanations of Audi and Cadillac performances.
Here’s the report from there back, the cheaper seats (well sort of). Three Vipers finished in the top ten, a good viper day, regrettably I was not one of them.
This; Viper friends is a phenomenal effort considering that 5 of the top 10 finishes were occupied by factory teams. Our hats need to come off to the wonderful professional people that are not always shown the credit, I speak of Bob Raub and the entire 3R team along with Dan Fiffack and the McCann team and I am personally so grateful for the amazing effort that Rick Maxwell and Nancy Shanno do for me and the Woodhouse Auto Family. The contributions of these people are equal to anything we drivers bring to the table.
With that said, and all of these drivers being of great caliber, don’t think for a minute WCGT drivers make less mistakes than club racers, me included. By the 4th lap this track they call Mid-Ohio was beginning to look like a wrecking yard. There were cars off on all sides of the track. Carnage started at turn one on the first lap when Phil McClure made contact with a Porsche. He came out on the short end of the stick. Then Tim Wiens Viper put a humungous oil cloud out on turn one a lap or two later creating a “no see” situation that in Stan Wilson’s description was capable of causing vertigo. That put up the mid-race full coarse caution as the cloud caused contact events for a couple of cars including one of our black Vipers from the east. I get confused; Adel Aseyed and the two Diller brothers all look similar with their three black Comp Coupes. I think it was Warren. The wreckers worked on clean up while we got to “putt” around the track for 5 laps. When the course went green it was intense. All were bunched up leading to more rubbing and pushing. My “un-luck” (new term, whadyathink?) came exiting the carousel onto the main straight. In third gear at 91 mph and 4800 rpm (love that Motec data); the transmission calls it a day. I am in a “huh, what happened state of mind” when I feel a Kaawhump, from behind as the engine is winging itself to 6200. That noise was Jon Groom in the AXA Porsche 911 Cup car giving me an enema, err love tap. Now in a confused state of mind (more normal); I pull the car into 4th and it keeps moving albeit when I get to corner one I realize it is the only option in the gear box.
I get on the radio to advise Rick Maxwell and Nancy Shanno of our plight. This took multiple attempts; possibly due to my red-neck language, chipmunk chatter and a measure of red mist. Mr. Groom’s kamikaze attack on the posterior of my car left me spewing barn door sized quarter panel and diffuser chunks, and rear valence remnants for the better part of the next lap. By the way, I happened to notice Mr. Groom’s AXA Porsche in the grass at the end of the down hill straight. I could go to hell for this but I just couldn’t muster any compassion at that moment, I think something like “yes” slid out between my teeth. Now I hate myself.
So there I am circulating the track in fourth gear looking like a butt-shot pheasant from a 20 gauge shot gun when Rick informs me we need a pit stop. “No Rick, not possible, I repeat, we only have 4th gear, we won’t be able to re-launch the car”. His convincing sentence went like this: “You either have to come in or SCCA says you are disqualified.” For littering I assume. “OK OK I am coming in.” I waited five excruciatingly long laps while Rick and Nancy frantically removed all the floppy butt feathers and we make a clutch punishing launch out of the pits. We were amazed to see the car put 1.34 second lap times down with just 4th gear. Only in a Viper.
After the Woodhouse Viper Team qualified in 8th position and finished 25th; we had no honor to bring to the Dodge camp but many of our Viper associates did. Perhaps the most outstanding of those is Stan Wilson. Short of Mr. glass smooth Tommy Archer, here is a fellow that may pack the most driving potential our Comp Coupes have to offer. He is young and in the beginning of proving his mettle. I hope we see a sponsor step up and give him a shot, he has the ingredients: natural driving talent, genuine nice guy, outgoing; and understands he is not the only person living on this planet. His result was the most spectacular of the Vipers. He killed the motor on the start taking his 18th starting position to 25th then at race end lands in the top 10. Good solid drive.
Mike McCann did a great job, finishing 9th after sliding through the grass at the end of the long straight, stellar save. Brother Jim placed 13th. The man everyone respects for his demure personality, Sonny Whelen put his GTS 17th with “Muzzy” Rich Marziale bringing his spanking clean and fresh blue/silver Comp Coupe in 18th. You gotta see Rich’s helmet. On the back of it is this wild looking face of a guy, like a devil, and at the bottom it says “Muzzy’s alter ego”. Like Muzz said “Hey, it’s true?”
Mike Hartley, is continuing to bring his red white and blue GTS up to potential and he finished next at 19th. Lenny Dillar and Adel Asayed finished running while Warren Diller had some trouble, unsure but I think he was a smoke victim. Geez I wonder if Speed Channel would consider paying for Tim Wiens engine? That had to be the most spectacular oil cloud ever televised. What a spectacle, in fact, if you haven’t watched the broadcast, you must, the most exciting racing in recent memory from beginning to end. Kudos to the production team. Go to www.speedtv.com for the rebroadcast next week. Get this; since the last GT race here, over half the field is below the track record for the class.
I will be sending you another report after the races on the west coast, Infineon and Portland. God bless to all.

Bob Woodhouse, Woodhouse Auto Family
for the Viper Club of America and car enthusiasts everywhere.

Jay Herbert

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Mid-Ohio race report from the Woodhouse windshield

I am in a “huh, what happened state of mind” when I feel a Kaawhump, from behind as the engine is winging itself to 6200. That noise was Jon Groom in the AXA Porsche 911 Cup car giving me an enema, err love tap....... Mr. Groom’s kamikaze attack on the posterior of my car left me spewing barn door sized quarter panel and diffuser chunks, and rear valence remnants for the better part of the next lap. By the way, I happened to notice Mr. Groom’s AXA Porsche in the grass at the end of the down hill straight. I could go to hell for this but I just couldn’t muster any compassion at that moment, I think something like “yes” slid out between my teeth. Now I hate myself.
So there I am circulating the track in fourth gear looking like a butt-shot pheasant from a 20 gauge shot gun when Rick informs me we need a pit stop. “No Rick, not possible, I repeat, we only have 4th gear, we won’t be able to re-launch the car”. His convincing sentence went like this: “You either have to come in or SCCA says you are disqualified.” For littering I assume. “OK OK I am coming in.” I waited five excruciatingly long laps while Rick and Nancy frantically removed all the floppy butt feathers and we make a clutch punishing launch out of the pits........ Get this; since the last GT race here, over half the field is below the track record for the class.
I will be sending you another report after the races on the west coast, Infineon and Portland. God bless to all.

Bob Woodhouse, Woodhouse Auto Family
for the Viper Club of America and car enthusiasts everywhere.

Congrats Bob! It is OK to say "Yes" to yourself when someone shreds all that carbon fibre for no good reason and then the racing gods land him in the grass, hopefully with a carbon fibre repair and paint bill of his own!

Bob is sort of my Hero. He sells cars by the week, and races them on weekends, what better life could there be?

Last year after his incident with "Significant Contact".... he was kind enough to send me a piece of his beautifully painted Comp Coupe... The left front part of the facia. The inscription on it reads, "Sometimes you are the windsield, sometimes you are the BUG." It will have a prominent place on the display wall when my shop and office project are done.

Have fun on the road courses out west Bob, I'll be rooting for you! Remember, every win will make the Audi's and Caddy's heavier! And the Audi's were already slippin' and a slidin' at the end of this race... half which was run under yellow.

OP
OP
B

Bob Woodhouse

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Jay, Thanks for your support, it means so much, also your continuous support of this board and all things Viper. You are one of the anchors for us. You are so right, I have been blessed, and leave in fear of forgetting that.

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great post Bob. You will get a story from VIR where we will miss you.

Sonny 00 GTS ACR

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Great report Bob! And congratulations on a fine race - I'm sorry it didn't go better for you. In spite of the mechanical problems that we all experience from time to time, Bob's driving was supurb! To a large degree, Bob and many others have honed their skills at Viperdays events where you get more track time, quality instruction and trackside support than any other series.

In the Speed Challenge Series they allow you three 20 minute sessions during the promoter's test day, two 20 minute sessions during the practice day, one 20 minute session on the day of qualitying, and one 50 minute race the next day. 2 hours and 50 minutes of track time over a 4 day event which can be affected by weather, track problems or your own particular issues. Not a lot of time to figure out a track and be up for a competitive race.

The saving grace for me at Mid-Ohio was the fact that I had competed there with Viperdays for several years where we get six hours of track time over a period of three days. Certainly a much more efficient use of time, money, etc.

My point being that whatever your goals may be for the future, an organization like Viperdays helps prepare you by not only providing the many benefits already mentioned, but does so at many of the same world class tracks where you may end up racing. So don't wait - come enjoy the best of what your car can offer - the next event for Viperdays is at Virginia International Raceway on July 16th, 17th and 18th.

NDW

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well said Sonny, see you at VIR.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235