Might move to Leavenworth, KS

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently received a job offer to work at Ft. Leavenworth. I'm a military intel guy, my wife is a tech at the VA Hospital in Dayton, OH where we'd be moving from. I am trying to convince my wife we should move to Kansas or even West Missouri area for this job. She's worried we'll move from, as she calls it, "one hell-hole to another". The way I see it, Dayton and Kansas City are both off I-70 so I imagine seasons are similar, cost of living is about the same, but moving to Leavenworth is a $25K boost in salary. In Dayton, my Wife wakes up, goes to the gym, then to work and back home. Weekends were grocery shopping maybe light shopping at the mall and back home. The 6 years we've lived in Dayton she hasn't made any friends and she's okay with that, very independent. Here's where I need help. What is fun and exciting about Leavenworth, KS/Kansas City, MO area that I can use to convince my wife we're not moving to a "hell-hole"?
I'm already convinced so if you're a guy reading this can you get input from your wife/girlfriend please? I appreciate any and all input. Thank you,

Bart

mhp1280

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Bart,

It would be great to have another viper owner in the Leavenworth/Lansing, KS area.

I work on Fort Leavenworth for the Battle Command Training Program (BCTP) and it is not a bad place to work. It has a lot of history and as far as Army posts go it is small and easy to get on and off of.

As far as the excitement in the actual city of Leavenworth, not so much, but there are some pretty good places to go that are not to far away. There is The Legends Shopping Center (think outlet mall) and the Kansas Motor Speedway about 10 miles south of us off of K7. If you are in to sports there is the Kansas City T-Bones (minor league basball team) and the Kansas City MLS soccer team that also call The Legends Shopping Center home.

There is also another open air shopping center called Zona Rosa (a little more high end) not but 15 to 20 mins from here with some good twisting asphalt between here and there to make the drive more interesting.

If you have any other questions about the greater Leavenworth/Lansing area shoot me a PM.

Matt

OP
OP
L

latamud

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Matt,

Thanks for the info. I have a few offers on the table but the BCTP looks like the best deal right now. I have the oportunity to go to Afghanistan from here but I'm ready to go home and drive the Viper. My wife is warming up to the idea of moving, if I do I'll probably go a few months ahead of her. I've been trying to get into the OSIRA course out there for the past few years, this might be my chance. If I make the move we have to get the Vipers together. Thanks again,

Bart

Bart,

It would be great to have another viper owner in the Leavenworth/Lansing, KS area.

I work on Fort Leavenworth for the Battle Command Training Program (BCTP) and it is not a bad place to work. It has a lot of history and as far as Army posts go it is small and easy to get on and off of.

As far as the excitement in the actual city of Leavenworth, not so much, but there are some pretty good places to go that are not to far away. There is The Legends Shopping Center (think outlet mall) and the Kansas Motor Speedway about 10 miles south of us off of K7. If you are in to sports there is the Kansas City T-Bones (minor league basball team) and the Kansas City MLS soccer team that also call The Legends Shopping Center home.

There is also another open air shopping center called Zona Rosa (a little more high end) not but 15 to 20 mins from here with some good twisting asphalt between here and there to make the drive more interesting.

If you have any other questions about the greater Leavenworth/Lansing area shoot me a PM.

Matt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kevsmu4