Reaction score
Why do I not like the front end????

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"Charmed and Dangerous: Despite ESC, Cruise Control, and Glove Leather, Viper's Venom is Deadlier than Ever''

Great! My expectations didn't dissapoint.

TonyCool

Viper Owner
Reaction score

Because the one on the gen4 is soooo much better. I'm with you on that one. The side profile and the rear of the gen5 are awesome but the front end is not what it should be. There is something about the front bumper and headlights that's not right. They should have stick with a gen2 type front end. Not saying that the car is not great, I think it will be a huge success because the whole package is pretty awesome just saying the front end could be much better.

AFL in NJ

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the article, but isn't the following a HUGE journalistic mistake:

"It's a very heavy favorite to lay down the fastest Laguna lap (applying Heuschele'shalf-second/mile prediction, that's 1:34.0 on our clocks -- a BDC record), and my sense is that such a lap will put a much broader smile on the driver's face than the the last Viper ACR and Corvette Z06/Z07 did."

I thought the 1:33 edition and the Laguna Seca record were already established by a 2010 Viper ACR. Maybe the author is better at writing than math....but my math 1:33.1 minus (0.5 second per lap/mile @2.238 miles of length = 1.119 seconds) = 1:31.981.

Using the same math, the "Nordschleife" of Nurburging (12.93 miles) at the same (0.5 second per lap/mile @12.93 miles of length = 6.465 seconds) will be lapped at 7:05.665....pretty impressive.

Regards,
Aaron

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"My next stint is in the GTS Launch Edition (150 cars to be sold in blue over white stripes -- the only cars that will be built in that combo -- with StopTech discs, but base P Zeros and the heavier, polished wheels)"

What!! No GTS later will be available in B/W?? Thats crazy

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
He really trashed the 2010 though, didn't he? From the seats to the shifter, he effectively said "it's crap". Wow! But just a couple years ago, they lauded praise on the car.

While the new Snake is a big improvement, the Gen 4 car is still world class. And the seats (at least in my 03) are very comfortable.

Kind of reminds me how Clarkson on Top Gear LOVED the F430, then as soon as he drove the 458, the 430 was outdated junk!

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write-up ! The Gen V is a winner. In person the front of the car looks awesome and the rest of the car well:2tu::D

You must be registered for see images attach

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's too late in the game to change what needs to change on the front. They could highlight the crosshair thing or better yet, replace it with a less "busy" piece and that would do wonders. Or highlight the brake ducts, that would be cool.

BlknBlu

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great article. With shedding some weight and adding HP along with the handling changes and computer controlled settings it should do great on the track.

Bruce

hou99gts

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Like the article, but isn't the following a HUGE journalistic mistake:

"It's a very heavy favorite to lay down the fastest Laguna lap (applying Heuschele'shalf-second/mile prediction, that's 1:34.0 on our clocks -- a BDC record), and my sense is that such a lap will put a much broader smile on the driver's face than the the last Viper ACR and Corvette Z06/Z07 did."

I thought the 1:33 edition and the Laguna Seca record were already established by a 2010 Viper ACR. Maybe the author is better at writing than math....but my math 1:33.1 minus (0.5 second per lap/mile @2.238 miles of length = 1.119 seconds) = 1:31.981.

Using the same math, the "Nordschleife" of Nurburging (12.93 miles) at the same (0.5 second per lap/mile @12.93 miles of length = 6.465 seconds) will be lapped at 7:05.665....pretty impressive.

Regards,
Aaron

He is comapring gen IV coupe to Gen V coupe, not gen IV ACR to gen V coupe. The SRT engineer is comparing the coupes as well. ACR doesn't count.... :)

v10enomous

Enthusiast
Reaction score
These first drive reviews look great and so does the front of the car in most of the pics...

You must be registered for see images attach

JoelW

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your picture tells the story. To many of us, the Gen3-4 cars look better. I think the Gen 2 cars front end looks better too. Maybe when I see one in up close. I know I'll like the interior though.

Moundir

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where's the beef?! No 0-60, quarter mile? What a fluff piece!

Bobpantax

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the photo I posted above in post 14. I think the front looks much better. I think the reason that it looks better is that where the cross hairs are located looks like a solid black area. The cross hairs don't work because they do not pick up and integrate well with the spoiler and the lip above the cross hairs like they did in the Gen II, II, and IV. I know that this is subjective but I really think the car looks far more aggressive with the area as one solid black grill or something similar. This issue may not be relevant to an all black car.

Last edited:

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look at the photo I posted above in post 14. I think the front looks much better. I think the reason that it looks better is that where the cross hairs are located looks like a solid black area. The cross hairs don't work because they do not pick up and integrate well with the spoiler and the lip above the cross hairs like they did in the Gen II, II, and IV. I know that this is subjective but I really think the car looks far more aggressive with the area as one solid black grill or something similar. This issue may not be relevant to an all black car.

I agree with your analysis Bob. For me....the headlights, specifically the LED's make the front-end a bit effeminate. The LEDs gives the appearance of eyelashes on the headlights. Not saying I wouldn't buy it but the LEDs bother me greatly. I do like the yellow and SRT hood.

3whitevipers

VCA Venom Member
Reaction score
The pictures have not sold me at all--at this point like the Gen 3/4 better, but I'm waiting for VOI in Charlotte to see the real car. I admit that I like a clean angular look over a rounded look. I'm amazed at all the trashing of the Gen 3/4, when it is such a strong performer over the previous models. The criticism of the seats in the Gen 3/4 also surprises me as I find mine very supportive and comfortable. I appreciate all 4 previous generations for what they are--a very rare specialized performance car that is/was a world ******. I just have to see a Gen 5 in the real world and make my own decision.

swexlin

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The pictures have not sold me at all--at this point like the Gen 3/4 better, but I'm waiting for VOI in Charlotte to see the real car. I admit that I like a clean angular look over a rounded look. I'm amazed at all the trashing of the Gen 3/4, when it is such a strong performer over the previous models. The criticism of the seats in the Gen 3/4 also surprises me as I find mine very supportive and comfortable. I appreciate all 4 previous generations for what they are--a very rare specialized performance car that is/was a world ******. I just have to see a Gen 5 in the real world and make my own decision.

You just said it best. I guess I'm a bt defensive of my Gen 3, but really. Most comfy seats Ive ever been in, and the rest of the car aint bad either. Dont get me wrong - the new car is fantastic, and world class. But non of the previous Gens are slouches either.

SADVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is an improvement, it doesn't make the previous GENS trash.

As TOPGEAR magazine said "none of this is cutting edge but it represents a decent leap"

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jpolen21