Mr. Clean Magic Eraser....Stay Away

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
A little background...

About 4 months ago I washed my Charger SRT-8 Superbee, my daily driver. I had a free day, so I figured I'd go ahead and wash with Dawn, run the clay-bar over it and put a few fresh coats of Zaino on it. Well, I got as far as the wash and clay-bar and ran out of daylight. Life being what it is, I never got around to waxing the car and I drove it around for a few months this way.

I went to wash the car this weekend and it had these black splotches on all the horizontal surfaces that looked like where road grime, brake dust, etc. had pooled in the morning condensation and formed black spots. Problem is, they wouldn't come off with soap and water, detail spray, windex, etc. About a year ago, someone had recommended a Magic Eraser for tough spots and I had bought one back then but it just sat in its box in the garage. So I figured what the heck, let me give it a try, it's just a sponge really. It worked like a charm and took those black marks right off. Then I got the car out of the sunlight into my garage and to my horror I found that everywhere I had used that thing, I now have noticeable scratches in my clear coat. I'm taking the car to a friend this weekend where we'll go over the whole thing with 3M compound and an orbital buffer and I'm confident we can get this taken care of, I just wanted to warn people not to use the Magic Eraser on your paint. They don't feel abrasive, but the very definitely are.

Kevan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds kinda odd considering how non-abrasive those things feel.
You sure it wasn't something that got caught in the magic eraser and then proceeded to dig at your clearcoat?

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That sounds kinda odd considering how non-abrasive those things feel.
You sure it wasn't something that got caught in the magic eraser and then proceeded to dig at your clearcoat?

Yup, that sucker came out of the box, into the fresh water bucket and then onto the paint per the directions...several times.

Believe me, I was as puzzled as you since they do not feel hard enough to scratch, but it sure did a number on my clear-coat. Everywhere I used it (always with lots of water in it for lubrication), there are dull spots. It's not like a piece of debris got on it because the entire contact area got scuffed. Ugh!

OP
OP
K

kcobean

Enthusiast
Reaction score
[media]http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu139/robertkwong/mrcleanman.jpg[/media]
The Eraser is used for pots & pans and to remove crayon marks from walls, why would you even think about using it on your car paint? :bonker:

How Do Mr. Clean Magic Erasers Work? | eHow.com

A very fine rubbing compound should remove the scratches :)

If you feel one of them with your hands, they do not feel abrasive enough to scratch paint...not at all. I mean, how many people want to scrub flat spots into their semi-gloss painted walls, or ruin their $500 *** set?

And yeah, we're gonna use an orbital and some compound and fix it. Fortunately, the scratches are so shallow that they'll come right out.

AviP

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The one rule with any cleaner is to follow the directions of use. You have to be loony to use Magic Eraser on your car. :dunno:

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My wife used that stupid thing to clean some marks off the wall in our entrance. Now when sunlight glares on the wall i clearly see all the dull spots that it looks like she Sanded.

That Eraser is a piece of:

You must be registered for see images attach

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sloth