Must buy tires now - PS2s or XSs, can't decide, someone convince me pleez

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need rubbers for my Gen4 .. uh as in tires that is.

Been reading, probably too much, on the PS2 stockers, & PSCs, vs the Kumho XS and keep waffling on which to go with & just need to order and get back on the road.

I drive street in nice weather, and do track days, not racing, but open track days, like 4 20 min session days sort of thing at Summit Point, WV, like 4-6 per yr. Haven't done any in this car yet, been using the GT500 this season, but want to switch to the viper in Sept.

If you have good points about whch to go with, let me know, I really want to order tomorrow & get my tires (and rollbar) setup done asap. Thnx guys.

Dave.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the general consensus is that the PS2s are the best all around tire...and the Kumho's are a great tire for someone like you who does quite a bit of AutoXing...the Sport Cups are going to wear out too quickly if you're driving it on the street too...

viper067

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think you can go wrong with either the Kumho's or PS2's. Kumho's are much less expensive and you sacrifice very little over the PS2's.

just my 2c

SRTVen

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look into the Nitto NT05. I have those on my C6 Z06 and just ordered a set for my Gen 3 SRT-10 as well. I really like them. They are sticky, work well on the street in dry and wet, and even worked well at an autocross I went to last weekend. Get them in 285/35/18 and 335/30/19. The size difference is negligible since they run wider than Michellins.

Flexx91

Viper Owner
Reaction score
As was previously mentioned, go with the PS2's if you don't mind spending $1650 for a set. Best all-around tire - wet or dry street, light to moderate track and autocrossing. XS fronts are still on back order as far as I know and Tirerack is currently listing the rears as closeouts. Sport Cups excellent on track but not the best for regular street use (wet traction).

Pappa Prich

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not trying to hijack here, but on the street, how's the traction/'stickiness' with the PS2's? Do they do a good job of keeping you in a straight line?

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
And just when I was sold on the XS's, looks like they are vapor, crap.

Yea I don't do autoX, tried it with my Gen2 about 10 yrs ago & it's like racing a cheetah on a treadmill, too small for me with the viper, once you go on a real road course and pull out of a tight 2nd gear turn and run thru 4th floored down a straight, or my fav, up a slight hill, and repeat for 20 mins .... well autoX or the 11 second thrill of drag racing (and I've been drag racing for over 20 yrs), just can't compare to that rush and decel/accel sensations, not to mention passing and passing and passing, uh oh, I'm chubbing.

I've run PS2's on my last 2 vipers & running them now on this one, was just looking for a slightly more road course oriented tire, as I don't take it out in the rain, if the track day is a wet one, I take the GT500 coupe (yea I know wet track is a great learning tool, but my probability of an off-track excursion goes up 10 fold in the wet, & for that risk, it's the mustang, not the viper). I like the PS2's, but they are still wanting for traction under serious cornering and hard accel, but no doubt a great choice, and now looking like what I'll be ordering, again.

As for the Nittos, I dunno, any more supporters on those? I run Nitto 555's on the Shelby (255 & 305x20's) on the street, but bolt on GY F1's for road racing track days.

Thnx.

1.8t

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I ran NT-05's on my Z06 and they were an excellent tire for the money. Excellent grip and wear characteristics, but the rears might look a little stretched since these tires only go up to 335 in width. Only downside is they obviously aren't that great in the rain, but you won't be out in the rain in the Viper anyways.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did some "research" on the inet, and best I can find shows the PS2 tread width @ 13.8 and the NT05 tread width @ 13.31. Compounds aside, that seems like a good amount of width I'd have to give up to go with the Nitto NT05 335 over the PS2 345.

AbsolutHank

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look into the Nitto NT05. I have those on my C6 Z06 and just ordered a set for my Gen 3 SRT-10 as well. I really like them. They are sticky, work well on the street in dry and wet, and even worked well at an autocross I went to last weekend. Get them in 285/35/18 and 335/30/19. The size difference is negligible since they run wider than Michellins.

ALL Nitto's will run narrower than their Michelin counterparts...I don't know where you're getting your info from.

OP
OP
D

DMan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ALL Nitto's will run narrower than their Michelin counterparts...I don't know where you're getting your info from.

Yea that's my experience as well, I'm using a 305 Nitto 555 on my shelby, it just fits, unlike other 305s due to it being about almost a 1/4" narrower than other 305's. Just sayin.

Dom426h

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am currently running the NITTO NT05's
Was planning on writing a review on them after i attend another trackday. So far so good though.

I previously had the Nitto INVO's and my only complaint was the soft sidwall which was fine for a comfortable ride but not so good for performance driving.
The NT05 is Nittos True Performance oriented Summer tire.

ViperGeorge

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have spoken with the SRT engineer that was responsible for vehicle dynamics on the Gen 4 (he's now lead engineer on the Gen 5). He tells me that the PS2s with the C1 Viper designation use virtually the same compound as the new Pilot Super Sports. Hence not much of an advantage to go with the Pilot Super Sport. He also said to remember that the suspension for the Viper is specifically tuned for the tire. The tire actually contributes to spring rates. Change the tire and change the spring rate. The PS2 C1 was specifically designed to meet the handling characteristics they wanted in the Viper. I'd stick with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SKY1960