My 1/24 RT10 Le Mans project

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have never attempted a project like this, but as I don't have much hope for ever acquiring the coveted 1/18 scale versions of the RT10 Le Mans cars, I am going to have a go at making a 1/24 as good as I can.

I am starting with the Burago 1/24 Le Mans RT10 kit. It has no hardtop, wrong wheels, wrong color. What I have done so far is purchased a 1/24th Maisto GTS-R (donor car) which I got at Walgreens for $6.99, and I also purchased a can of Testors spray enamel in competition orange color (I looked around, I think that is as close as I am going to get on the color). I cut the top off of the GTS-R and sanded it down. It seems like a pretty good fit. I also took the wheels off, as they are MUCH closer in style to what the 1994 RT10 Le Mans cars had. I plan to paint the wheel spokes gold and the centers black.

I have no idea what the finished product will look like, but if it is not an absolute joke I will post pics when I am done. If it turns out badly I will hide in shame!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm, haven't thought about doing this one. I've done a few Gen II's in 1:24 to look like my RT. I have three 1:43 Le Mans RT's.

Cool idea, but what are you going to do for a wing? Agree on the wheels and the paint color. I've seen some nice decal sets, though not sure how close you can get to the markings on this car.

Have any pictures of what you're doing? Like, before, during and after?

I built both of these:
You must be registered for see images attach

My favorite with black wheels and stripes:

OP
OP
D

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Burago kit has almost all of the decals I need. The only thing I am not sure of is the wing, it may be the last thing I do on it. I found a paint that may be a better match than the competition orange by Testors. It is called Racing Orange and is by Model Makers. It is more day-glow type orange like the car. When I get it painted I'll snap some pics prior to assembly.

OP
OP
D

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The paint portion of this has been an absolute bastard.Fitting up the wheels and top were fairly straight forward, but to get the paint unblemished, bubbled or otherwise screwed up has been impossible. The top is a bit "coupey" but hey, it came from a coupe.

Attachments

• IMG_0919.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 21
OP
OP
D

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks! i actually was so unhappy with the paint I took it all back apart, stripped it down to bare metal with paint stripper, and am in the process of re-doing it. An interesting side note is that before this car was painted red by Burago, it was blue!

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's pretty funny! Just goes to show you they aren't (or weren't) great at inventory management.

What are you going to use for the rear wing?

Can't wait to see the finished re-paint! By the way, I see you're using Testor's paint. I found that going to Auto Zone or the like and buying Dupont spray touch up paint works very well. Leaves a nice finish that you can (if you want) lightly sand and buff out.

OP
OP
D

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's pretty funny! Just goes to show you they aren't (or weren't) great at inventory management.

What are you going to use for the rear wing?

Can't wait to see the finished re-paint! By the way, I see you're using Testor's paint. I found that going to Auto Zone or the like and buying Dupont spray touch up paint works very well. Leaves a nice finish that you can (if you want) lightly sand and buff out.
I have the rear wing off of my donor car (GTS-R), but it is not exactly the right style. I may paint it black and stick it on there anyway, as I'm not sure where to find a better match.

Vipuronr

Enthusiast
Reaction score
You may be able to file it down to be close. The original spoiler was flat black if I'm not mistaken...there are a number of pictures of the original cars on the site.

OP
OP
D

danfromohio

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok, it's been a while, but here is where I am on this project. I took the car to my old man, he is retired and loves a challenge, so I showed him the car and the color. He worked on it off and on for a long time and got the paint looking way, way better. I have re-assembled the car and am beginning to apply decals. Here is its current state.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Javadog62