My '96 GTS window seals are coming off is there a TSB?

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My \'96 GTS window seals are coming off is there a TSB?

I have a '96 GTS and I bought the car with 600 miles on the clock. At 850 miles the seals around the window on the top part started coming off. I took it in at 850 miles with the problem. Dodge did not fix it at that time. I now have 3500 miles. Can any one from the Viper nation help me to get my GTS fixed under the TSB? This is a build problem not something I did. I love Dodge and have bought loyaly from them but, I think they should cover this problem. Thanks in advance, Kenric

Mike Brunton

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: My \'96 GTS window seals are coming off is there a TSB?

I'm sure he's talking about the piece that is attached to the black trim piece that is to the rear of the window (where the door popper is). It runs up and around that black plastic door popper surround.

I was looking at used GTS's before I got mine, and I saw 3 different '96's that had this problem. It never happened on my '98, so I don't know if perhaps Dodge fixed the cause.

The seals can't be that expensive though - especially through JonB... just get 'em and do it yourself.

Gavin

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Its covered under extended warranty
Just picked my 96gts, 23,000 mile up from the dealer - no more window rattles - no more seals flapping in the breeze.
If you do not have an extended warranty you will have to pay for the fix - it is well worth it.
Gavin

Acatala7

Enthusiast
Reaction score

This is the same issue that i have, along with Vipermad. He took his to a dealer and had them fix it, however i have been procrastinating. I guess it's pretty much a known issue with dodge.

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think he's talking about the vertical w/s at the rear of the window along the front of the stanchion cover.(the part with the door release button) The w/s seperates towards the top where the seam is. The only way to get the w/s is with the outer stanchion cover. When you order the stanchion cover, it will specify that you need a new window glass and inner stanchion cover! DC changed the design of the glass to help solve the problem of tearing the w/s. The proper repair is inner/outer stanchion covers with new window glass. I haven't seen a service contract yet that will approve a $1,000 trim repair. If you can find someone to do it, get it done! Make sure they use the updated parts. There is no TSB or recall, just knowledge from experience. I've lost track of how many I've done..... dj

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think your talking about the black part where the door handle is? that window seal on my 96 gts started separating and my warranty did not cover it however I cried that my car only had 3500 miles on it and had never had enough use to not warranty it and my dodge dealer got it handled. I was initially just going to pay for it until they told me it was 600 per side.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

O.K. I'm still good for one stupid question on this board (I don't think I used mine up yet) Why not just glue it with super glue. We're taking about the black rubber piece that's about 1.5 ft. long on the far side of the glass right?

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

How is this piece actually attached to the car? Is it glued from the factory or held in place via pin, clip, etc.?

Jerry Scott[CO]

Viper Owner
Reaction score

My 97 had the same problem and I was able to get it fixed on warranty last year, when I was under the original 3 year warranty. As you raise the window the rubber gets stretched until the flap that goes over the top of the glass fails. They will only fix it if the rubber has failed within the 3 year original warranty, and in some cases they only fix the one side that failed. The fix is a kit with a different rubber door seal and a different glass with a notch at the corner that does not stretch the rubber. If you have to pay for it yourself, you might be able to just buy the seals and grind the glass at the corner to meet the new specification. This would save some money. JonB, can you offer any help here for those that have to pay for it themselves$ Jerry Scott [CO]

pauls

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just had mine done. Drivers window was going up real slow. I took it in expecting to covered under extended warranty. Nope!
It's a one piece seal/track costs $280 plus tech time. The piece I would call a "cat Whisker" on older cars was also getting wavey, but I'll live with it after the tech told me he has to take the door apart and the glass out!

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score

pauls, the early coupes (96+97 jonb?) had what appears to be a 2 piece cat whisker. They tend to warp in the sun or over time. The newer style is smooth all the way back with no parting line.Look at a newer coupe next time you see one and you'll see the diff.dj

OP
OP
K

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for all of the input. I guess I am just SOL, the car only has 3500 miles. The seal I am talking about is on the top part of the power window where the black body piece is. On the '96 it is a two piece seal. When the window goes up it pushes the seal off the plastic. When the windows are down it flaps in the wind. Thanks for all your help, Kenric

452hp to rear wheels
512 torque to rear wheels and seals that flap in the wind!

bad viper

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I remember getting both sides replaced under TSB. They had to change glass also. Look into it!

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I think some of us are talking about 2 different weatherstips. If you were to stand directly next to your drivers side door, the weather strip would start in the far right bottom corner of the glass and go vertical past the door button to the top right corner on the gts (96'). Can you glue this piece back in place or do you need to do all of the drilling as explained above?

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Man, I wish I knew more about computers, I could put the pictures up. When standing, facing the lt.(driver's) door, the w/s runs vertically, at a slight rearward angle, from the top of the door, over the top of the rolled up window glass, and back down vertically on the inside. The panel directly behind the outside door handle is called the OUTER stantion cover. Coupes are polished smooth, roadsters are textured. The w/s is ONE PIECE on the outside, over the glass, and back down the inside. The w/s is only serviced with the OUTER stanchion cover. The w/s is bonded to this outer cover. The inner part of the w/s is held into place on the inner stanchion cover by two trim buttons. If yours is in more than one piece, it's split. The new design parts have changes made to cure this. The new INNER stanchion cover, which incorperates the emergency release, does not include the w/s. The new inner cover does not have the trim button holes predrilled. These are the holes I was relocating before the updated parts were issued. If the trim buttons are removed, the w/s can slide up or down on the inner cover which changes the amount of "tightness" the w/s has on the top of the glass. Slide it up, less pressure, slide down, high pressure on top of glass which causes w/s to split. You can sometimes get away with just the outer cover, which includes the whole w/s inside and out, but you need to take the load off of the top off the w/s where it goes over the glass. The w/s pauls was talking about is the horizontal one running along the top of the door from the front door jamb to the rear of the door.dj

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

O.K here's what I got. Both of my OUTER stanchion covers on both doors have come off. They are both in one piece in very good shape. One has very few rivit-like holes in it (w/metal residual - is this the "button(s)" you were referring to?) the other has several (over 20) small rivit-like holes in it on the inside obviously, like it has been a problem before. O.k., one last time, can I just glue it if I don't want to do the upgrade or do I need to take it to the dealer to have them replace the buttons, etc.

Ron

Enthusiast
Reaction score

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS">If your's isn't split yet, is the solution to remove the trim buttoms to minimize the tension when the window is full up?

What limits the window's upward travel? Does proper stop adjustment prevent the split?

Or, is it just a matter of time?

Thanks</FONT f>

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sure you could glue it back on, you'll now have a two piece w/s instead of one. Before they came out with the updated glass, I was fixing them with a new outer stanchion cover (w/s included) but instead of using the stock w/s retaining pin holes, I'd raise the w/s up to remove all the preload on it.(1/4") You then have to drill 2 new holes in the inner stanchion cover for the retainers. There are 3 new pieces per side for the update. Inner stanchion cover, outer cover and glass. You should also get two new retainer pins per side. You might be able to get away with just the outer cover if you don't use the stock retainer location. The factory warranty only covers this repair for 3 yrs. or 36k miles. Good luck getting someone to cover it after that!dj

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Tony, Nice pic. That's the part exactly. Both of mine came off both doors from the bottom up, not from the top first.

Ron, I'm not sure you are responding to me but by not having this piece on, I am not experiencing any problems with my windows moving up or down nor the seal. I do not have any "buttons" anywhere. When I look into where the weather stip was, there is nothing, just a few plastic pins (VERY small) maybe 4-5 pins toward the top of the door that are about a 1/16" long. So...... do I glue it? Am I missing parts? I still want to try a "quick fix" before I spend hundreds of dollars as previous posts indicate.

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The w/s that came off the outer stanchion cover is appro. 27-28" long total. It should be one piece with two 12-14 length long strips connected with a bend. This should be one piece. The picture shows the w/s in two pieces. The w/s in the pic. goes over the glass and back down on the inside. Follow it back down on the inside and that's the whole w/s. You'll also see the retainer buttons on the downward inside portion. I used to remove these buttons and raise the w/s to remove the load on it.
Highly unlikely you'll get them out without breaking the heads off. If the w/s has just come off of the outer stanchion and is not split, you can epoxy it back on. I think the way it was installed on the outer cover was with little pins that go through the w/s and are then melted and smashed to hold it in place. Sometimes the w/s down inside the door would catch the window glass, when rolling up, and cause the window not to raise and/or tear the w/s off. That's kinda "common". Lastly, I would avoid trying to adjust the glass if possible. Raise the glass, shut the door, and look at how it seals to the door opening w/s along the roof. If you car doesn't leak air, don't touch it. Window adjustments sometimes can cause more bad then good.dj

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

David, thanks for the info. I went to 2 Dodge dealers and 2 trim shops today and nobody knew how to put the w/s back on. So, I guess I'm going to try to super glue it to see if it works. If it fails (I think it will) I'll have to weigh the options. Right now, the windows go up fine and I would guess the only issue is when it rains. I'm going to glue them today or tomorrow, I'll let you know how it turns out.

David Jenkins

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Sorry I couldn't get back to you Vmad, I'll try you am Wed.
Here's the #'s.

Right Side
OME68JX8AB INNER COVER
OME74MX3AD OUTER COVER
4763268AB GLASS

Left Side
OME69JX8AB INNER COVER
OME75MX3AD OUTER COVER
4763269AB GLASS

4658887 RETAINER PINS

CHEERS,DJ

OP
OP
K

KenricGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score

The picture above is exactly what I am taking about! The top seal on the inside and outside(towards the rear of the car next to the black shiny side fake glass) Jon B. let me know what I need to do to fix it. There is a TSB I have friends that Dodge has taken care of on this matter. They really should take care of this it is a design flaw. My car was never driven thats why it was not taken car of under the 3/36. I have an extended, we shall see. You guys have been great! Kenric

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Well, I bought some super glue and I also have a glue gun. I don't know which one to use. Maybe I'll try one side with the gun and the other with the super glue. The problem has been temperature. In the last 15 days, I don't think it reached 70 degree here in Chicago. Once we get a nice day, I'll do it and post the results.

jamie furman

Enthusiast
Reaction score

My 96 gts had that problem and even under the extended warranty it was not covered, I superglued mine and it was fine for a while then it came loose again, my car had 3500 miles and had never seen rain or sat outside. I was told molding was not covered and I told them fine I would buy them, but at 600 dollars a side for molding I said forget it. Well I told my dealer I was not happy and it was defective and after some crying and my dealers insistence to the zone rep they agreed and replaced it no charge.

SteveBCloud9

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I decided not to glue it...yet. The car has been out a lot lately and it's something I've been wanting to get done but haven't. Anyone else glue theirs? Once I do it, I'll post.

BWoodbury

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Mine was glued. It has now come unglued on the driver's side. It was before my time so I'm not sure what they used. It did not look like a real good job though...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ar Tee Ten