My Creampuff NA Build

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score
couple of really great influences!!! These two fine gentlemen forced me, against my will of all things, to move forward with a mild NA build. Curse their oily hides!! I mean how dare they suggest I get my heads ported, polished, along with all of the goodies Greg puts into his heads. HOW DARE Greg suggest I go with a more aggressive cam and better lifters...I mean come 'on!!! :D

In all seriousness, I have to thank Phil for keeping on me to get some additional power added. He, and many others, have given me great advice. As for Greg, Greg knows his stuff. So thanks Gentlemen, I'm taking the plunge.

Now I have to find time to do this (because I want to do most of the work myself) but I'm trying to get on Tator's schedule...he's one very busy man. I'll keep everyone posted on the process but it'll be a while before I get the heads and goodies as Greg seems to always be in high demand.

Peer pressure...is great! :2tu:

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: Plumcrazy & Greg Good Are a....

yeah, i had to push you SOOOOOOOO hard. i even forced myself to eat some good grilled steaks too that night i pushed you so hard.... :)

you are in the best hands with greg. have no fears my friend.

how am i gonna convince your wife that i pushed so hard that you had no choice but to install a SC next, ? thats the question

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

yeah, i had to push you SOOOOOOOO hard. i even forced myself to eat some good grilled steaks too that night i pushed you so hard.... :)

you are in the best hands with greg. have no fears my friend.

how am i gonna convince your wife that i pushed so hard that you had no choice but to install a SC next, ? thats the question

yeah...the SC has been on my mind since you call and left that message. Among other things...this is a sickness...I need help.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

one more good meal and i bet i could get her to agree on it....

is that grill fired up yet ?

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

but for that, i gotta convince tony to drive to davie, florida

VIPER BAZ UK

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Another fast Yellow!!!!

SC x2 listern to the voices SOOOOPEERRRCHAAARRRGGER LOL

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Gentlemen: Please send your money to me and I'll GLADY build up the bottom end and slap on a S.C. When I started this project, I wanted to do something that gives me enough oomph without having to dig into the engine, namely swap out pistons, hone, etc. I just don't want to get into that and, quite frankly, even if I had unlimited funding for such an endeavor I would go Plumcrazy's route. I'm just not there, yet. ;)

So as I write this I'm also thinking about swapping out the cast pistons...'cause I keep hearing "well, since you're in there anyway, might as well..."...these might as wells are starting to ratchet up the wish list in a hurry. Even I'm interested to see when all is said and done where I actually end up vs. where I started on this.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

might as wells cost a fortune.

its easy to spend YOUR money tony. depends on your future plans and what does GG say ?

KNG SNKE

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Roe and make your life easy. No special installation required, plenty of ooomph, no piston swap. I dont drive fast, just stomp the gas periodically and man it is a rush.

Nader

Enthusiast
Reaction score

I am glad someone from the NY/CT region took the plunge before me. Tony it sounds like you have done your research... Keep us all posted. I look forward to your results and impressions.

I have been debating doing a head and cam package for a long time. I am looking for 580-600rwhp and with little or no compromises. Two years ago it wasn't possible. I have heard and read that it is very reasonable especially considering the ability to tune the stock PCM.

Good luck Tony.

plumcrazy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

City, you know ME... :)

nader, that power is very reasonable to get. (greg good/SCT/dan at viper specialty tuning it)

97snk

Enthusiast
Reaction score

nader, that power is very reasonable to get. (greg good/SCT/dan at viper specialty tuning it)

That sounds very tempting, especially since the car is paid off...How much would would this greg good package cost to get to 600whp? I might as well jump in as well...

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Go Roe and make your life easy. No special installation required, plenty of ooomph, no piston swap. I dont drive fast, just stomp the gas periodically and man it is a rush.

Or do both. :D

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

That sounds very tempting, especially since the car is paid off...How much would would this greg good package cost to get to 600whp? I might as well jump in as well...

Call Greg Good and talk with him...He's not going to tell you what you want to hear but what you need to know. It's worth the call.

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Update on my build which was forced upon me by Plumcrazy (mostly).:D Consists of GG ported/polished heads with the works, Greg Good cam, non-bleed down lifters, thinner head gasket...targeting an overal 10.5-10.6 compression ration. No, I'm not replacing the cast pistons...I'm keeping the build relatively minor at this point. Perhaps in the future, I will go with a more aggressive NA build but that will be in a different Viper. ;) For now, I'm looking for a little more oomph on the street.

Engine is torn down at this point. Intake, Heads, Cam, lifters, etc. are all out. My crankshaft bolt came off like butter. I used an 18" torque bar to loosen it and it loosen with little effort. It was going to come out soon enough on it's own. After talking with Chuck Tator, I decided to pin the crank for safe measure.

You must be registered for see images

Dropped the pan, baffle inspected the rods, bearings, etc. and all is perfect. Overall, everything seems fairly normal for a Viper engine with 15K miles on it.

As far as removing the camshaft, I have to thank Chuck Tator, Joseph Dell, 1Tony1, and a few others here who have posted tips about removing the camshaft. With the front crossmember in place, I removed the transmission crossbar and dropped the tranmission, jacked up engine a couple of inches and I was able to clear the crossmember easily. The cam slid out like butter.

While I wait for Greg Good to get my heads, cam, lifters, etc. ready and shipped I start the fun process of cleaning my block of leftover gasket residue. Along the way, I found that both of my coolant passages on the rear of the block were full of sand...

PassageCrap.jpg

Hard to see from the pic about but those are clumps of sand I dug out from coolant passages on the rear of the block. After cleaning these out, I found that there are no holes in the coolant passages. In other words, it seems that the coolant has nowhere to flow once it reaches the rear of the block:

BlockPassage1.jpg

Is this normal? :dunno: Are these supposed to be holes drilled in these rear passages.

Anyway, I hope to have my parts in over the next week or two. I'll post updates as I move along but so far nothing out of the ordinary with my mild build.

- Tony

Joseph Dell

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Is this normal? :dunno: Are these supposed to be holes drilled in these rear passages.

On some earlier gen 2's there was a hose/line connecting the two heads. some actually connect these two. On my 99 there wasn't but i added one.

note: some gen 2's have a ****** off of the thermostat housing that goes to the heater core... others don't. My 99 did, but when i used the housing off of a 97, it didn't. So i removed a plug from one of the heads and added it to the circulation system.

short answer to your question: maybe. But this is managed by the head as the coolant goes up into the head. My block doesn't have holes there. just the same casting marks as yours.

Just as an aside: that 'sand' looks like radiator stop-leak. if you've ever put that stuff in your motor, it stays there forever. the saw-dust type... that looks just like that.

good luck w/ the build!

Joseph

OP
OP
V

ViperTony

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Just as an aside: that 'sand' looks like radiator stop-leak. if you've ever put that stuff in your motor, it stays there forever. the saw-dust type... that looks just like that.

Joseph

Thanks Joseph. In one coolant passage, the grit was a greyish paste. On the other side it was pure sand/grit. Anyway, thanks for the various tips you've posted here throughout the years. A wealth of information can be had via search. :2tu:

Ricketts

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nice buildup you have going there, I've been toying with doing the exact samething to my GTS. I already bought the T&D's, just a little paranoid about installing the cam.