My dreams of owning a Viper... Crushed today with a 20 min test-drive!

Lee00blacksilverGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ALLLL Right! Somebody go get Cobra! By the way, just cleaning out some old magazines today, noticed a test of the SRT4 that said that the SRT seats are very similar to and appear to have been designed like the Vipers.

George Murray

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've spent time with the thread originator recently (at the track). Good guy, good driver, and now knows better regarding Vipers.

That said, let's bury this thread.

Roger, out.

garolittle

Enthusiast
Reaction score
ALLLL Right! Somebody go get Cobra! By the way, just cleaning out some old magazines today, noticed a test of the SRT4 that said that the SRT seats are very similar to and appear to have been designed like the Vipers.

Hey, do they make a Vipair system for the Neon? :D

JKVIPER

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vipers and vettes are both great cars. They absolutely have their pluses and minuses. I just converted to Viperdom after 24 years owning various Vettes. I'm really enjoying the change as I get the feel of my new Viper GTS.

A few comments from a 24 year ex-vette owner:

Things I like about my 99' Vette Coupe
1)Easy to go fast
2)More electronic gadgets like power seats, heads up display, digital and alalog readouts, electronic air etc.
3)Easier to get in/out
3)More room for a big person - I'm 6'2 275 and very comfortable in my 99' coupe
4)Better ergonomics
5)Tons of after market goodies
6)Very reliable - Never had a major repair

Things I didn't like about it
1)Flexi chassis - Even the newest ones shake, wobble, and rattle over the road imperfections. All the literature about how strong the chasis is, is BS since it is comparing the chassis against the previous generation which had the rigitidy of a wet noodle.
2)Runflats - Car roars at highway speed from road noise.
3)Every fifth sports car down the road is a vette.
4)C6 Vette looks old before it's debut. How sad!
5)Clutch chatter due to the flexi transmission tube connecting the clutch to the rear mounted trans.

Things I like about my new 2001 GTS
1)I've had the car for two weeks and haven't seen another viper on the road yet
2)Car is scary fast
3)Have 3" exhaust which simply roars
4)Much more solid feel over the road than the vette.
5)With the 1" seat lowering kit I now can see out of the car.
6)Although I did not have the Z51 suspension on my coupe, the turn in on the Viper is much crisper.
7)Bigger tires = more grip = more fun in the corners

Andy 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey JKViper,

Welcome, great post! I'm not surprised to see nothing listed for the "Things I dislike" for the Viper. I have a really hard time thinking about things I don't like about my car.

Fast Viper Dan

Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I walk around and there's two vipers. One is a silver '97 GTS and the other is a '01 RT/10. I inquire about the red one and seeing as I roll up in the vette they take me seriously (I'm 22). Salesman was cool and was asking me question all about the Z, and even about the viper. I've drooled over those since I was little so I know all the stats and info etc (way more than the salesman, but he was very cool). We go for a test drive and here's my observations."

I must admit I skipped 25 pages.
The Salesman was asking you questions about the Viper?:dunno:
I didn’t know Dodge made a Silver GTS in 97? I learned something new today:clap:

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I stopped reading after I saw this:

"Since when is 12.90 a 13 second car. I trapped at 114 w/ just an intake, if you dragraced alot (I don't know maybe yo do) you'd know that w/ some drag-radials thats good for a high 11 pass. I choose not to powershift or slip the clutch out of the hole. You've got me on the oil... that does ****, but it's getting fixed!"

He owns a Z06 with bolt-ons and only bagged 12.9? 114mph proves the car has some power, but 12.9 with that says to me he doesn't know how to drive yet. I owned a 2000 C5 coupe and dragged it with the body panel on (track wouldn't allow the lighter lexan top), an extra 30 pounds of electronics installed and my then heavy hide of 235. Bear in mind that there is also a weight difference between the Zog and my Coupe since the Zog had lighter internal parts, windshield, floorboards, exhaust and roof parts.

The only mod on my coupe at the time was a pair of Borlas. Off a 1200 rpm BABY launch (wasn't looking to rag out my daily driver) and without any abuse to the clutch I pulled a 13.01 @ 109.52 on my second run. I do NOT consider myself the best or hardest driver in the 1/4, but man was I ripped that my best in four runs was .01 away from the 12s! On the others I was trying different gears at the end of the track and had one sloppy launch. That is my entire experience with official dragstrips.

I suggest he find someone near where he lives who has the seat mod and who would let him drive the car a little before he makes the decision. I test-drove a modded NSX once and my whole impression of the car was skewed because I hit my head getting into it. Give him a second taste of the venom so he doesn't slip back beneath the surface here.

Vette guys compare option codes, hood liner graphics and mufflers. Viper guys compare Twin Turbo kits and ******* stories. Only once was there a Viper owner who matched well with Vette guys, and he had dolphins on his hood. :lmao:

djacob372

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've done plenty of research on both cars. I wanted a viper for a long time. Looks is subjective, so you have your opinion and I have mine. I know I'm ******* on the hornets nest, but just sharing my observations today. If I had fit in one I'd have considered the trade.

I'm surprised you didn't complain about the lack of cupholders. :-0

GTS is a better bet for a guy your size, no way you're fitting comfortably into an rt-10 with the top on.

Stock sound does ****, any viper guy will admit that, but hardly any of us keep the exahust stock so we forget.

Sorry but a vette's interior is pretty crap as well, comparing a viper to a vette in that department is like comparing rotten apples to rotten oranges. If you want a nice interior buy a porsche.

If you know the stats why would you expect it to be noticably faster than your zo6?

OP
OP
C

Cobra4B

Enthusiast
Reaction score
^ This thread is almost 4 years old... I posted it and got flamed to all hell... I searched to see if it was still in archives.

Tusc

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up on it right after I posted. So you got the Zog? What have you done with it over time?

Saw you're looking at the green. Have you looked into a good vibrant metallic orange (not the burnt shade, but bright)? I think it would look better on the C5 body, especially with the apparent body mods you've done, than green.

Likewise, it would shortly be apparent to guys on BOTH sides of the aisle precisely which car you are trying to emulate if you used the Viper Snakeskin green. That's just not kosher! LOL

Qualitywires.com

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
LOL! This thread is old. But the young boy cobra is still misguided.

Vipers will always rule over the Vette. Hands down.

voi9

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just like MaxedGTS says.
Your better off driving a GIRLS car!!!:lmao: :rolaugh:

treesnake

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The vette bashing is hilarious. It's worth reading the entire thread.

It all depends on what kind of car you are looking for. Us 'real" Viper owners don't car about cup holders (who can think about drinking a soda while shifting at 4,000-5,000 rpms while looking at vettes in the rear view mirror anyway.....sorry couldn't resist.) or other **** pit "comforts"

Vipers are about performance. Viper owners care about how the car feels on the road, not how we feel in the car!

TwinTurbo

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously someone needs to educate this young lad that Vetts are always trying but will never, compete with the fire breathing king...I say KING.... of the streets! Bring your vette to my neighboorhood and I'll make a believer outta ya. :eater: