My Question

AviSarfaraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was looking into buying a Gen 1 Viper, but I wanted to know the pros and cons of buying and owning a viper? I see many info pages, but i'd like to hear it from the owners themselves, the ones with the true experience.

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The search function isn't very good but if you aren't satisfied with the answers you get, give the search a try.

I'm the last person that should give advice about pros and cons of Vipers. They're all pros and there are no cons. However, if you like the candyass feel of safety blankets like Active Handling, Traction Control, ABS and the bells and whistles of heads up displays, heated seats and the often mentioned and despised cup holder, then the Viper isn't for you.

It is rough riding and driving, the older Vipers more so than the newer. It requires you to drive it, learn how to drive it, and does no driving for you. You will spin the tires when you didn’t mean to and you will lock the brakes when you shouldn’t have.

It’s the most awesome car ever built.

Birvini

Enthusiast
Reaction score
The search function isn't very good but if you aren't satisfied with the answers you get, give the search a try.

I'm the last person that should give advice about pros and cons of Vipers. They're all pros and there are no cons. However, if you like the candyass feel of safety blankets like Active Handling, Traction Control, ABS and the bells and whistles of heads up displays, heated seats and the often mentioned and despised cup holder, then the Viper isn't for you.

It is rough riding and driving, the older Vipers more so than the newer. It requires you to drive it, learn how to drive it, and does no driving for you. You will spin the tires when you didn’t mean to and you will lock the brakes when you shouldn’t have.

It’s the most awesome car ever built.

Man, this Chuck guy is great!!!! Couldn't have said it better! :cool:

OP
OP
A

AviSarfaraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well, Saftey blankets are for the weak, if you are a good driver you won't get into accidents. I like what I hear about the viper even more now! :D

OP
OP
A

AviSarfaraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im looking into the viper in advance, because the NSX is for Pansies and the Vette Seems too common, I like cars that are very unusual, as for my taste in the 1981 Delorean.

MHQC

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Avi,

You sound like me 3 years ago. Today is Monday and I might pick up the Viper I have been waiting for for many many years (I am so nervous I feel sick to my stomach :crazy: . I spent hours (literally) with the search key. There is a wealth of information on this board. Read as much as you can. And you will end up knowing more about the car than the guys selling it! :D

I loved the Viper since my first ride in 92. The car is to bad asp to pass up. :cool:

Michael

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm not an owner, just an enthusiast, but I have driven a Viper GTS twice, and ridden in 2 others.
For the shorter list (cons), no place to put your foot (with your leg extended, i.e.-no dead pedal).

For the neutral, the shifter is surprisingly stiff at first, and the gates are kinda close (i.e.-some missed shifts -no gear banging).

Now for the pros :D , gas pedal!, gas pedal!, handling, attention getter, overall experience of just driving (I want to be an owner sooo bad now). The car has immediate torque.

Just for future reference, make sure the car is straight when you get on the loud pedal, and make sure you hit the right gear

OP
OP
A

AviSarfaraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Problem is i have to learn on a manual first. My DMC is for city traffic, its a Automatic, Does anyone know any good schools that teach manual transmission in the MN area?

Chuck 98 RT/10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
My Problem is i have to learn on a manual first. My DMC is for city traffic, its a Automatic, Does anyone know any good schools that teach manual transmission in the MN area?

OMG. You're joking right?

Hoosier Daddy

Enthusiast
Reaction score

Try the rental car agencies and rent one for the weekend. Then just practice and remember this saying. "If I can't find 'em grind'em" Eventually you will catch on.

Viperzilla

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Forgot another con, the steamrollers follow ruts in the road, felt like I ALMOST hit the curb my first Viper drive down this one road to a stop light. I've travelled that road hundred of times with my 96 Taurus and 91 Mazda 323 (both ~6-6.5 inch tires), never felt anything like that.

OP
OP
A

AviSarfaraz

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im not going to touch a viper till I am good with the manual. The problem is that I cannot find a school. So I guess its off to the rental car agency for now.

Im going to try and get a viper around next year, so I have plenty of time.

Nexus-6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spend the time learning to drive a stick for sure.

The Viper isn't as difficult to drive as you might think - first time I sat in the driver seat I thought "Oh no - this girls gonna be a beast!" but they're just kitty cats. Easier clutch than my M Coupe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom R