My Road America hot laps videos with GPS data, best of 2:26

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Intake/Exhaust
APR Aero
Moton Clubsports with stiff springs (forgot rates)
Hoosier R6's 295/345 on OZ Wheels

The vid didn't come out too well. I think there was a finger smudge on the lense. The traqmate overlay helps you get a feel for some of the speeds though.

[media]http://vimeo.com/23188537[/media]

Here are the speeds I'm hitting before the braking zone, and at the apex:
Turn, Before Braking, At Apex
1 154 75
3 118 63
5 155 47
6 93 59
7 88 80
8 117 57
9 85 87
11 127 106
12 149 62
13a 100 90
14 105 64

Going into turn one I'm cruising at the top of 4'th gear. I find I can pick a deeper braking point and be much smoother through the turn than shifting into 5, than 5-4-3 while under breaking. I'd end up losing anything I gained from more speed by not nailing the turn due to the extra shift.

I do the same thing for turn 5.

Carousel I prob have a few more mph in the car. The car doesn't push out due to speed but I just don't have the guts to go faster.

The kink I could probably go through around 113'ish I think, but I'd rather make up time elsewhere.

Turn 12 I should carry more speed but my concern is not hitting the rev limiter of 4'th while making that sweeping left so I leave myself a little margin.

It was a great weekend. I ran great and got to take the car home in one piece.

Enjoy.

Last edited:

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome! But adjust the exposure level on your camera so we can see out the windshield!! :D

What group were you running with? I gotta get out there someday.

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I put a big fingerprint on the front of the camera lense.

It's a Go Pro HD and I was messing with it when I got in the car. I didn't have any tissue with me to clean it off so I just kept wiping until it appeared the smudge was gone, oh well.

I was running with MFBA.
MFBA Track Days

There was only one other viper at the event, a red second or first gen. There were plenty of corvettes though.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I put a big fingerprint on the front of the camera lense.

It's a Go Pro HD and I was messing with it when I got in the car. I didn't have any tissue with me to clean it off so I just kept wiping until it appeared the smudge was gone, oh well.

I was running with MFBA.
MFBA Track Days

There was only one other viper at the event, a red second or first gen. There were plenty of corvettes though.

I have a GoPro HD as well. FYI, make sure your exposure setting is set to SPt when you have the camera mounted inside the car pointing out. Any other time set it to Cnt.

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I think you nailed it.

The faster you go, the more things you got going on in a race weekend, impossible to keep track of them all.

Time to make some notes in my go pro box. Thanks again.

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you nailed it.

The faster you go, the more things you got going on in a race weekend, impossible to keep track of them all.

Time to make some notes in my go pro box. Thanks again.

Glad I could help.

Was that Jeff Schwartz's yellow Ultima GTR? Do you know what times he was running?

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was Jeff S. We talked for a bit. I do not recall his lap times but he did say he tuned it down a bit for the track.

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
I watched a part of one lap (entering The Carousel), but have to head out to dinner.

First: those lap times are really good considering you aren't in a full-on race car and the safety equipment that goes with it, and on R6s.

Second: Turns 6 & 8 are second gear turns. The Carousel is a 3rd gear turn, but not in a Gen 3 (the oil pan will go dry...ask me how I know).

I will watch later tonight, but good job. That track can be very intimidating.

OP
OP
M

Magnus_

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey David, thanks for chiming in. I often tell people of your RA viper results. They are quite impressive.

I have stock gearing, which seems not ideal for RA as I'm right at the top of 4'th in all the end of main straits just before the braking zone.

Turn 6 I take in 3'rd just to reduce the chance of snap oversteer on exit. Braking as i'm cresting the hill is crazy enough.

I actually used to take 8 in second and then would shift straight to fourth before the carousel.

The carousel I used to take in third but I'd actually run out of gear as I was exiting and would come real close to hitting the limiter on track out before the car was straight. I take it in 4'th now just to make the track out smoother.

After I ran the 26 though I was quite content with that lap and still am. I have zero desire to best it and it certainly is a good feeling. I can now run slower laps with more safety margin. :)

This year I hope to get my comp license in NASA Spec Miata. Should give me time to enjoy the scenery. :)

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Hey David, thanks for chiming in. I often tell people of your RA viper results. They are quite impressive.

I have stock gearing, which seems not ideal for RA as I'm right at the top of 4'th in all the end of main straits just before the braking zone.

Turn 6 I take in 3'rd just to reduce the chance of snap oversteer on exit. Braking as i'm cresting the hill is crazy enough.

I actually used to take 8 in second and then would shift straight to fourth before the carousel.

The carousel I used to take in third but I'd actually run out of gear as I was exiting and would come real close to hitting the limiter on track out before the car was straight. I take it in 4'th now just to make the track out smoother.

After I ran the 26 though I was quite content with that lap and still am. I have zero desire to best it and it certainly is a good feeling. I can now run slower laps with more safety margin. :)

This year I hope to get my comp license in NASA Spec Miata. Should give me time to enjoy the scenery. :)

Thank you, but when I review my results I know there is so much more to be had, at least a second and a half (I am convinced!).

Yes, that's right about the gearing. When I tested in August of last year I had the 3.07s and was hitting the fuel cut off just before 1 and 5. Still was able to get a 2.18.1 out of the car, though. We now have a 3.55 which I think is much better, although I use 5th gear going into 1 and 5, and don't use 2nd in 5, 6, 8 or Canada Corner anymore. I LOVE charging into Turn Six! Jump on the brakes and the car just turns around so nicely, and back on the gas!You're giving up alot by going to 4th entering the Carousel, but I also realize what you are trying to accomplish is different than what I am trying to do.
26s are impressive, especially with where you are consciously throwing seconds away.

I have a 99 SM for this year and jsut love driving that thing. W2W is so much fun, you'll have a blast. I do have one suggestion: get your SCCA Comp License before you get your NASA. The process is quicker than going through NASA. Trust me, by that video and those times, you don't need to learn much at all.

And thank you for not being offended by my comments and observations. I hope I don't come off as a "know it all," because I certainly don't.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235