My spring detail!

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
My Spring Detail -The Documentary.

Well, I just got the car back from having the Roe installed. Needless to say the shop is never kind to the overall cleanliness of the car. Perfect time to do a good detail...right before spring. I started off by washing the car 3 times over the past week. Each time I washed, I concentrated on getting different parts of the car extra clean. The 1st wash I tended to the engine bay. The second wash I tended to all painted areas above the rockers. The 3rd wash (today) I got the whole car including the rockers, wheel wells, and under the back end. At this point the car is pretty clean, from a washing standpoint.

The plan:
Wash
Clay - Sonus
50/50 Iso Alcohol wipe down
Polish - Sonus
50/50 Iso Alcohol wipe down
Klasse AIO
Klasse Sealant Glaze
Sealant Glaze 2 more times
wax - P21S

I plan on also tending to the engine bay and the rocker panels. Not sure what I will be using yet.

Some pics:
Before 1st wash (you can see how much dirt/dust is on the seats.)
You must be registered for see images attach

After 3rd wash

Pulled sills to tend to them and to the exhaust tip without causing any damage to the sills. (look how much the sills need to be polished.)
You must be registered for see images

I will be trying to document my progress. Please feel free to help or comment in any way. (especially if you see me !@#$ing anything up!)

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Of course I will be tending to the wheels and interior as well. I am expecting this whole process to take 10 days or so. :(

Shandon

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course I will be tending to the wheels and interior as well. I am expecting this whole process to take 10 days or so. :(

10 Days of washing your viper:D You love it and you know it! Your talking to the Viper nation and we know your addiction. Just tell it like it is! :lmao:

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
J-how much do I need to pay you to do the same to mine?!

Can't wait to see the final product.

OP
OP
T

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
J-how much do I need to pay you to do the same to mine?!

Can't wait to see the final product.

There is a big difference between "the same" I am doing here and my normal detail. (usually 2 days) Same basic principle, only I don't remove the sills and I don't do multiple coats of sealant. Each coat of sealant takes a good 3 hours to do right. I will be doing a Z06 after I finish mine. I'll post some after pics of it too. I charge a basic rate of $200, depending on how dirty the car is.

Also, thanks for the compliments. I always look forward to the finished product as well.

OP
OP
T

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well I got the side sills off and cleaned. NOT an easy task, they were filthy. Polishing them off the car was a pain also, as they were awkward to keep in place without scratching them.
I also got the entire car clayed down. I am just waiting now for the striper to get here tomorrow so I can get going on the polishing, AIO, and the SG.
I also got the passenger side wheels clean, polished and waxed. I will probably do the drivers side today.

unreelviper

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Triblk6spd, you have a beautiful car. It reminds me of my last viper,98' GTS (Roe Supercharged) Viper. I would love to see your car lowered just a tad bit......Still an awesome car!!!!

OP
OP
T

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
It is as low as it is going to go. The back coilovers are all the way down and the fronts are almost all the way down. I can barely get into my driveway as it is. The car does not look lowered in the pics because I have a jack under it to get a better handle on the side sill removal and reinstall.

stock height

Now. Big difference in the front and about 1.3" difference in the back.

OP
OP
T

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
What is this clay process I keep hearing. How does it work?

By the way, great car. I want one just like it.

Bob

The clay we are talking about is similar to the toy "Play-doh" that kids enjoy although a special type is required for car detailing. It performs it's function by removing the contaminants from the surface of the paint. It works by virtue of its flexibility as it easily forms the exact contour of the surface it is in contact with. What it does for a painted surface is similar to the function of polish, but unlike polish, clay is not an abrasive. This is an advantage for the beginning or casual detailer, as no harm can be done to the paint. (debateable, as you can mar the paint if there is not enough lube)) Claying also does not remove wax, so unlike polish, there is no need to reapply it after an application. It works on surfaces that might not be appropriate for polish, such as glass, brightwork and trim items. Claying is also relatively quick and easy when compared to a polish job.

Removed the NACA duct for striping and polishing.

Last edited:

jasontiff

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Okay, so when you told me about some "15 day detail" I thought you were nuts; I get stir-crazy not driving my car for a few days after a detail but have never spent more than 6-8 hours.

All I can say is WOW, man! That car looks SICK! It's already beautiful but with the level of care and attention to detail it's absolutely gorgeous now!

If you're serious about the $200 thing, I may take you up on it and steal some trade secrets while you work. I'll need some decent paint on the car prior to that undertaking but g'damn, man...I'm impressed!

HLN A55

Viper Owner
Reaction score
So, whats this striping you are talking about?

I'll call you later to discuss the oil issue . . .

OP
OP
T

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Well no striper this morning. :( His helper called in sick. :dunno: He said he should be here tomorrow at 9am. Hope,hope.

What style of 03 wheels? Chrome or painted? Calipers? WITH THE CALIPERS COOL, hit them with some degreaser 1st. Let stand for a while. Scrub with nylon med/hard bristle brush. If they still are not clean, you can use wheel cleaner. (all wheel cleaner, not MAG cleaner.) If you take the time to remove the wheels, wheel cleaner and a stiff bristle brush should do them up well. If they are painted/powder coated use caution not to harm the finish. You can even wax them for car shows and the like but the wax is immediately destroyed by the heat. :(

Disclaimer:
I am not an expert by any means. I am better than most detailers for sure, but I still learn from the pros at Autopia.org. It is my attention to detail and my eagerness to be better that sets me a part. I run a small buisness that has nothing to do with detailing. :cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Lagalaxy13- I hope my PM's helped. :)

The striping guys are working hard. Seems to be coming along ok. No fires, or breakage yet. ;)

I'll post some final pics this evening of the finished product.

Last edited:

sirhc76

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Justin

Who did you get to install the stripes? I contacted a graphics shop off of I35, dont recall their name, on the stripes I was doing on my Ram SRT10. Did you have them do the inside of the NACA?

Chris

OP
OP
T

triblk6spd

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Justin

Who did you get to install the stripes? I contacted a graphics shop off of I35, dont recall their name, on the stripes I was doing on my Ram SRT10. Did you have them do the inside of the NACA?

Chris

I had Tony at Euro Stripes here in Austin do it. Great job so far. I did not do the NACA duct. I like the way it looks w/o. You going to make it to the Supra event?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Viper123456