NARRA Daytona: My Weekend Experience

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
On October 21-23 I headed down south to race in the North American Road Racing Association (NARRA finale at Daytona International Speedway.

I had reached out to the organizers during the summer to see if I would be welcome at their final event. My reason for asking if there would be an issue with me joining them is that with the races being held at DIS, and it being such a “magnet” –like track, they might object to me “cherry-picking” this event. No such concern; they were more than welcoming.
So, I promised myself if I got through the month of September without burning up the car too badly, we’d all head down to Daytona.

The NASA National Championship went well with me winning that race, and because it was held on a rainy track, the abuse of the car was held to a minimum.

Later in September, the SCCA Run Offs went almost as well, with me finishing second. Again, with me only running a few laps in qualifying on one day, sitting out the other days, and then the race only having 7 green-flag laps, the car was in real good shape at the end of the month. So…change the oil and wash the car! We’re south ‘bound and down…Daytona here we come!

Friday was a quasi test day combined with a 90-minute endurance race. A mandatory 5-minute pit stop was instituted so a driver change, as well as fueling, could be safely accomplished. I elected to run the car until we ran out of fuel, and then park it. I didn’t want to out too much wear on the car.

My first session on Friday morning had me clocking a 1:58.756. I was shocked, as I really didn’t know what to do on this track. After that session I predicted I could get into the 1:51-1:52 range before the weekend was over. I was 14[SUP]th[/SUP] on the grid after the first session.

The endurance race qualifying had we gridded 14[SUP]th[/SUP] again after I ran a 1:56.113 during the session. I felt pretty good, as I think I was the only car in the upper part of the field on DOT tires.
I started 14[SUP]th[/SUP], and before I brought the car in when the gas tank went to “almost” empty, I managed to take the overall lead. I did 20 laps (the winner did 35), finished 27[SUP]th[/SUP] out of 59, and my best lap was a 1:54.878. I was improving.

Saturday’s schedule was similar: a practice and a qualifying session of 25 minutes each, then a 30-minute race. I qualified a disappointing 9[SUP]th[/SUP] with a 1:54.182 because on my best lap I was held up on the back straight between turn six and the bus stop, feathering the throttle the entire time. I really think if I had a clean lap a 1:52 was possible. Oh well, it’s not like this hasn’t happened before…To give some perspective to this effort, Eric Curran, in what I think was a Whelen Engineering Rolex GT Corvette had the pole with a 1:50.594.

Saturday’s race results (I am guessing at the “type” of car these were):
1. Eric Curran Rolex GT Corvette 1:51.459
2. George Whelen World Challenge GT Corvette 1:51.100
3. Jim Stout World Challenge GT Viper Comp Coupe 1:50.804
4. Michael Hartley World Challenge GT Viper Comp Coupe 1:52.534
5. David Pintaric SCCA STO Viper ACRX 1:53.080
6. Russ Oasis World Challenge GT Viper Comp Coupe 1:54.131
7. A.R. Hoshmandy World Challenge GT Corvette 1:52.420

There were a total of 40 cars in this race; not all in the same class. I was in the USGT Unlimited class.

Of note was Stan Wilson in my car’s “brother,” a SCCA STO Dodge Viper. Good old Stan was going to use some old Toyo 888s. When I heard that, I threw some used Hoosier A6s mounted on a set of Forgelines and told him to have some fun. The SOB had the nerve to out qualify me! I’ve heard of ubber-talented drivers taking another person’s cast-off parts and whipping them. This is the first time it has happened to me; I need to reconsider my generosity…Stan broke his transmission when I was right on his rear bumper, so he finished as a DNF. But still…

Sunday’s qualifying grid was set by combining our best lap times from Saturday’s race and Sunday’s practice session. I elected not to go out Sunday morning, so they used my results from the race. I started the second race from the 7[SUP]th[/SUP] spot.

Sunday’s race results (I want to reiterate, I am “guessing” at the type (Rolex/WCGT), don’t know for sure on some of these entries, but some I am very certain):

1. Jim Stout World Challenge GT Viper Comp Coupe 1:49.738
2. Eric Curran Rolex GT Corvette 1:53.012
3. Sonny Whelen World Challenge GT Corvette 1:53.036
4. George Whelen World Challenge GT Corvette 1:50.704
5. Russ Oasis World Challenge GT Viper Comp Coupe 1:54.938
6. David Pintaric SCCA STO Viper ACRX 1:52.949
7. Michael Hartley World Challenge GT Viper Comp Coupe 1:53.526
8. Bernie Katz World Challenge GT Viper Comp Coupe 1:53.688

Again, the field was pretty big, with 31 cars taking the green flag (the reason for the smaller field on Sunday was that this event was a NARRA/PBOC combined effort, and the Porsche and BMW drivers had their own race just before ours on Sunday, on Saturday we all raced together.).

Stan Wilson again was ahead of me before finding some bad luck. Him and I were nose-to-tail (me chasing) when I saw he was getting “black flagged,” so I wasn’t going to try anything aggressive to get by him. But for some reason he didn’t see the flag, so he kept on racing. Entering turn one he cut a tire, and while watching him fight the car I was distracted enough that I put the transmission in to the wrong gear, causing me to spin. I lost a spot to George Whelen, and tried to catch him, but a Full Course Yellow came out. It helped bunch the field up, but we had some slower cars just in front of us, so I got held up a bit and lost two spots at the restart. I was able to retake one, but couldn’t pass the well-driven car of Russ Oasis.

All-in-all a successful weekend; met some new friends, and reconnected with some old ones. It has been a long time since Stan and I shared a race track, and it is a treat to see him wheel a car. Also got to spend some time with Cindi and Fred Lux; great, great people. I really don’t know Cindi all that well, but she is such a warm and genuine person it is hard not to like her.

I am looking at NARRAs schedule for 2012, and it is very tempting. I think my focus is going to be in that direction, maybe in a Viper Cup ACRX…we’ll see. But going to VIR, Watkins Glen, Texas World, Monticello, and two other tracks that are “rumored” but not contracted at this point, sure looks like fun.
Fields like what I experienced this weekend sure get the competitive juices flowing.

Last edited:

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Good to meet you and crew..........great to have someons like you almost single-handedly repping VIPERS in SCCA / NASA

JonB

Viperless

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Daytona next year? I knew I was going to regret not going this year.

MTGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
No Daytona next year? I knew I was going to regret not going this year.

Yeah, I'm kinda bummed as well. Daytona is CRAZY expensive though, I believe around $30k/day. I get to run @ Daytona with another group as well but the Viper guys are more friendly. I don't see Sebring on there either. :( Wondering what the other 2 track may be....

NI-KA

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good to meet you and crew..........great to have someons like you almost single-handedly repping VIPERS in SCCA / NASA

JonB

Just to clarify. I was at NASA Nationals (Mid-Ohio) this year saw Ray & Alan Sweers were running Vipers ( GEN IIs ), as well as, Scott Whelam ( Comp. Coupe ). Also in TT Jim Avery was running his ACR. I cannot speak to the linup in SCCA but I suspect that is where the Vipers are less represented

Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/647856-Nasa-national-champ-at-mid-ohio?highlight=NASA

redtanrt10

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David, great story and results. Hope to see you one day out here in the West!

What are the other two tracks rumored to be?

Bluestreak, one of the events will probably be out here in the SoCal or near by. NARRA seems to not like the logistics of traveling west but they always get strong viper owner participation. It would be great to see CA Speedway but who knows?

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice write-up Dave. I think your car was seriously underpowered compared to the competition there, but you always manage a great finish, well done! (I thought I saw some pics of your car with white letter racing slicks...no?) Good Viper tracks would be Road America, Road Atlanta or Miller. I would love to see High Plains on the NARRA schedule...you guys won't believe how fun that track is. Just my 2c.

OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
Just to clarify. I was at NASA Nationals (Mid-Ohio) this year saw Ray & Alan Sweers were running Vipers ( GEN IIs ), as well as, Scott Whelam ( Comp. Coupe ). Also in TT Jim Avery was running his ACR. I cannot speak to the linup in SCCA but I suspect that is where the Vipers are less represented

Here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://forums.viperclub.org/threads/647856-Nasa-national-champ-at-mid-ohio?highlight=NASA

Sammy,

I think my friend Jon was referring to my SCCA-focus (unfortunately, because of Stan Wilson's funding issues this year, I was virtually the only SCCA Viper in 2011 of any substance), and probably even more so because I am so "vocal" (my brother thinks I am a big-mouth) about my experiences!

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
David, I didn't get a chance to stop by, but I watched your race and, indeed, you did quite well. I drive #3 in the DVC. We'd love to see you in the DVC next year. If you have any questions, I'd be happy to help. As an aside, you may have noticed a Black and Orange SCCA T1 car. That's my wife who is quickly catching me. - David

JonB

Legacy\Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
SBW was back racing at PIR October 1! Good to see him, 8-hr Enduro.... and I think he was 1st-in-class.....

3SRTsandGTS

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Glad to hear Scotty is racing again. Cindi, Fred, and Scotty have been class acts since the first day I met them. Furthermore, they built one heck of a car!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDViper