NASA Mid Ohio Report

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
The crew made some changes on the car, so we decided to race in another series and see how we liked the mods. NASA holds two races per weekend, the following is from Sunday, August 15th's race:

Laps 1 & 2 (prior to full course yellow):

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zQShzMfYJo[/media]

Restart:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqfF4fJgbSE[/media]

More video to come, as the last few laps are being uploaded. I did win the race (in my class).

NASA brakes down their classes by HP/weight ratios. ST1 is a 5.5:1 class, ST2 is 8.7:1. I ran ST1 with 542 RWHP but was about 200 lbs heavy at 3300 lbs.

Last edited:

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for posting, I was anxious to see how you gained all those places at the start...it helped that those two crashed out in turn 1 eh? (nobody was hurt, except the Posha rt rear). I think you gained 6 positions by T2! A lot of those guys were just following the car ahead of them and missed the green didn't they! Do you use a spotter or could you see the flagman from your position? Nice job fending off Mike's attack on the restart and maintaining your line to keep him locked out!

Its funny that instructors always say the race line is not generally the fastest, but you guys posted faster laps when in the race than in qualifying or TT (Mike) session.

Again, David, it was great you came out to play with GL-NASA, its a good group of guys and gals in GL region. I really enjoyed seeing another Viper out there. The red CC won the SU (super unlim) class on Sat, and I was 3rd in TTU so we had a good weekend. There was also an IL region red w white stripes Gen IV out there, but I never got to talk to the driver. Did you? Who was it? What class was he in?

Anyone who races with NASA--Be sure to sign up for the Hoosier contingency before you race (two tires any size or compound for first place, 1 for 2nd or 3rd).

David, I am so jealous that your car is only 3300! My ******** ACR without a front seat is 3450. I didn't notice, did you ever get that lexan glass?

If I get a cage, its your cage guy that is doing the work. That thing is a piece of art! Its easy to see in the video what a great job they did. It was their first installation in this gen viper, from what I recall, but man is it tight.

Last edited:

Leslie

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awsome driving!

At the beginning of the first video, that guy you were all over going into thunder valley just didn't want to let you by haha!

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who was in the CC? I think I need to give NASA another look...

Except for the 1st lap bump... didnt like that

That was Scott Welham in the CC...he was clearly having some issues with the car. That 1st lap 'take out' was rediculous...that is what I hate about those rolling pile of sheet metal cars...and why I am not racing my ACR.

David, I see from the NASA site you were the ST2 champ in 08...I take it you were in GL region...what car were you driving? jc

OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
That was Scott Welham in the CC...he was clearly having some issues with the car. That 1st lap 'take out' was rediculous...that is what I hate about those rolling pile of sheet metal cars...and why I am not racing my ACR.

David, I see from the NASA site you were the ST2 champ in 08...I take it you were in GL region...what car were you driving? jc

Last of the laps:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PftdJkzw034[/media]

I drove my 2004 Viper that was 99% an SCCA T1 car. I sold it this January after running it in an STO race in Sebring.

Boxer12

Enthusiast
Reaction score
04 Viper in ST2? I didn't think that was possible-although I have never actually read the ST2 regs. I thought they were all equiv to TTS cars since those guys run in ST2. Curious now how they class ST2/1.

OP
OP
D

David Pintaric

Viper Owner
Reaction score
04 Viper in ST2? I didn't think that was possible-although I have never actually read the ST2 regs. I thought they were all equiv to TTS cars since those guys run in ST2. Curious now how they class ST2/1.

With the extra weight I had to run in T1 (3700 lbs in 2008!) plus the 45mm restrictor plate allowing the motor to make only 430 RWHP, I was actually able to increase my horsepower a bit to meet the 8.7:1 number (with adjustments, of course).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Liberty235